Forums > General Industry > Models NO RESPONSE

Photographer

RFAphoto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Posted by Julia Rocker: 
I AM NEW TO THIS AND ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT THE BUNCH OF MAILS OR REQUEST FOR WORKING TOGUETHER I HAVE GOTTEN ARE #1 NON- PAID AND MOST INMPORTANT FROM PEOPLE THAT CALL THEMSELVES PHOTOGRAPHERS BUT THEIR PORTFOLIO HAVE A LIST OF CRAPPY LOOKING GIRLS THAT LOOK LIKE THEY WERE KIDNAPPED AND HELD IN A BASEMENT WITHOUT A SHOWER.I HAVE NOT ANSWERED PEOPLE LIKE THIS BECAUSE I DONT HAVE TIME FOR THIS KIND OF JOKE IS A WASTE OF TIME. NOW IF IT IS SOMEONE WITH HUGE TALENT AND DECENCY IN HIS WORK THEN I WILL TAKE A MOMENT OF MY BUSY LIFE AND SHOW SOME RESPECT.OUT OF THE MILLION PHOTOGRAPHERS I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO WORK WITH IN THIS SITES MAYBE 2 HAVE BEEN WORTH TALKING TO.   

Well with that attitude I hope you don't mind only haviing 2 to talk to because you just convinced a lot of us working with you would be detrimental, Looks will only get you so far. Professionalism is saying "Thanks But No, Thanks" when you don't want to shoot with someone. Ignoring someone because you think they are beneath you  will come back and bite you in the butt. but don't take my word for it..Just wait, You'll find out soon enough.

Jun 20 05 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Ryan

Glendale, California, US

Be interested in knowing if the request are going out to models in his area, Alabama, or are the request going out to anyone anywhere. Your not going to get a response from a model from Arizone for a TFP from a photographer in Alabama.

Posted by Faro: 
Is this a common problem or am I the only one ?
I've sent out dozens of request for shoots both PAID and TFP to models on this site and others,and to a large degree I get NO RESPONSE.
I don't know if the models are recieving my request, aren't interested,  or saying F U .
As a "Professional Photographer", I answer all request for shoots and photos, and if I can't find the time or
the model isn't particually interesting to me, I at least respectfully decline. It's a question of professional courtesy. So if models are professional, why don't they at least send a response. I see on MM where my messages have or have not been read, THANKS  MM

Jun 20 05 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

It's very common, for basically two reasons:

1.  Lack of professionalism, as others have already documented; and

2.  Some more experienced models are deluged in e-mails, most of them from mediocre photographers and a scattering of pervs (no kidding... a couple of models have let me see the junk they get in their in box).  The models get jaded, and hit delete if the images don't immediately grab their attention.  Usually it's not personal, maybe just not what they need for their portfolio at that time.  Sometimes if they've had a rough day, delete happens a little too quickly.  Once I passed on a models url to a very well known photographer who e-mailed her... she apparently deleted his e-mail, then was very unhappy when she found out she had missed the opportunity.

For category 1, you probably save yourself a no-show when they don't reply, thus it's a net gain of time.  If it's category 2, well, such is life and it's beyond our control.

On the positive side, I've had good experiences with a number of models who are now on MM, mostly before this site existed.  Some are exceptionally responsive and reliable. 

Jun 20 05 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

Posted by RFAphoto: 

Posted by Julia Rocker: 
I AM NEW TO THIS AND ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT THE BUNCH OF MAILS OR REQUEST FOR WORKING TOGUETHER I HAVE GOTTEN ARE #1 NON- PAID AND MOST INMPORTANT FROM PEOPLE THAT CALL THEMSELVES PHOTOGRAPHERS BUT THEIR PORTFOLIO HAVE A LIST OF CRAPPY LOOKING GIRLS THAT LOOK LIKE THEY WERE KIDNAPPED AND HELD IN A BASEMENT WITHOUT A SHOWER.I HAVE NOT ANSWERED PEOPLE LIKE THIS BECAUSE I DONT HAVE TIME FOR THIS KIND OF JOKE IS A WASTE OF TIME. NOW IF IT IS SOMEONE WITH HUGE TALENT AND DECENCY IN HIS WORK THEN I WILL TAKE A MOMENT OF MY BUSY LIFE AND SHOW SOME RESPECT.OUT OF THE MILLION PHOTOGRAPHERS I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO WORK WITH IN THIS SITES MAYBE 2 HAVE BEEN WORTH TALKING TO.   

Well with that attitude I hope you don't mind only haviing 2 to talk to because you just convinced a lot of us working with you would be detrimental, Looks will only get you so far. Professionalism is saying "Thanks But No, Thanks" when you don't want to shoot with someone. Ignoring someone because you think they are beneath you  will come back and bite you in the butt. but don't take my word for it..Just wait, You'll find out soon enough.

Amen to that!!!

Jun 20 05 06:12 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Leila, Nicci, Rob Ryan, and Ken Mierzwa all hit points that should be highlighted... as a new member to this site, I've also come across the problem that I can't email (grrr!) and I know other sites have similar limits - like at OMP I can't message models, unless I want to pay $269 a year wink whatever, rent comes first. I try to make my email address, or homepage which has my email address on it, available because with email anyone can write you and you can write anyone (still even that is not fool proof - spam, bulk, viruses, lag, etc.) but it's better than not being able to respond or contact at all

Jun 20 05 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Herb Way: 

Posted by Doug Harvey: 
Now isn't this just a fun post...As much as this has been hatched over and over again...I think the true answer here is...There are flake photographers and there are models that do not know what to do when offered a good shoot or because they have a couple of pix in their port and not a dam thing about themselves, they think that all photographers are ATM machines. Sorry folks, this is just the life of the internet...Fortunatly, MM has been 100 times better the OMP ever was...

We're in the midst of an epidemic of immaturity, lack of professionalism, ego tripping, and lack of consideration.  Is this what creative collaboration is all about?  My experience is that the problem generally becomes less as the age of the models goes up.   

Amen...I have worked with a few models that are 30+ and they have all be great! Good communication (email and not afraid to use the phone) and work habits...

Jun 20 05 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Posted by Doug Harvey: 

Posted by Herb Way: 

Posted by Doug Harvey: 
Now isn't this just a fun post...As much as this has been hatched over and over again...I think the true answer here is...There are flake photographers and there are models that do not know what to do when offered a good shoot or because they have a couple of pix in their port and not a dam thing about themselves, they think that all photographers are ATM machines. Sorry folks, this is just the life of the internet...Fortunatly, MM has been 100 times better the OMP ever was...

We're in the midst of an epidemic of immaturity, lack of professionalism, ego tripping, and lack of consideration.  Is this what creative collaboration is all about?  My experience is that the problem generally becomes less as the age of the models goes up.   

Amen...I have worked with a few models that are 30+ and they have all be great! Good communication (email and not afraid to use the phone) and work habits...

Amen again!  Let's hear it for the 30+ and 40+ models! 

Jun 20 05 07:16 pm Link

Model

KiraRhian

Orlando, Florida, US

I know that I try to replay as quickly as I can if/when I get messages.  Sometimes I will not remember if I sent a responce back or not and will end up sending another one.  the only time I think that it has been a while when I was either A) on vacation or B) sick.  May-be they just have not gotten the message or even know that there is a message waiting on them.

Jun 20 05 07:59 pm Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Tito--
kick a** port, i'd respond if you offered to shoot me.  (yeah, shameless plug, just teasing!)

Doug--
hate that i missed that casting. hope to see you this weekend in Miami maybe?

Zoe

Jun 20 05 08:04 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Julia Rocker: 

Well... that was a bad idea.

Jun 20 05 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Just... Damn. lol

Jun 20 05 08:53 pm Link

Model

the model jo

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
im my experience..i keep trying to drag these online models into the commercial world..they dont want to go..
an example..i offered a national tear and exposure to the marketing people of two clothing manufacturers this past weekend..at the very least, portfolio quality images with a stylist and MUA...

the responses i got online were, if i dont get a CD with all the images, im not interested...
??????????????

un-fu*king believable...

Then these models obviously dont know much about exposure and experience. And how much that could do for them! Geez, your right it is un-fu*king believable, especially since up here in conservative NC, we dont get much stuff like that.

Jun 20 05 09:03 pm Link

Model

the model jo

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Posted by Reese: 

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
im my experience..i keep trying to drag these online models into the commercial world..they dont want to go..
an example..i offered a national tear and exposure to the marketing people of two clothing manufacturers this past weekend..at the very least, portfolio quality images with a stylist and MUA...

the responses i got online were, if i dont get a CD with all the images, im not interested...
??????????????

un-fu*king believable...

It's because they are stupid vain little B*****s...

Reese,
IT is always great to hear your opinion. :0)

Jun 20 05 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Cristan

Miami, Florida, US

The world is full of flakes and models are no different.  What's even worse are the one with crappy snapshots and act like they're supermodels.

Jun 20 05 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Cristan: 
The world is full of flakes and models are no different.  What's even worse are the one with crappy snapshots and act like they're supermodels.

Oh those are my favorite! Waiting around for Tyra Banks to discover them and offer them a 1 million dollar deal for 1 photoshoot and national exposure, celebrity parties, etc... lol

Jun 20 05 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Faro,

A wise young man once told me, "If you ain't gettin turnt down at least tree times a day, den you ain't tryin hard enuff".

Jun 20 05 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Posted by Cristan: 

Oh those are my favorite! Waiting around for Tyra Banks to discover them and offer them a 1 million dollar deal for 1 photoshoot and national exposure, celebrity parties, etc... lol

Hey! I know those...

Jun 20 05 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Ruder

Tucson, Arizona, US

Posted by Doug Harvey: 

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Posted by Cristan: 

Hey! I know those...

Modelannas!!

I guess I originally had a tough time with these unprofessional attitudes.  Being a professional in my day job, I guess I expected a little more professionalism in this industry.  My eyes were quickly opened to the reality of this industry.  Therefore, when I send out occasional emails, I don't expect too much.  In so doing, when I don't get a response, I don't worry about it.  I know there are other models out that who really want to do this.  I will spend my time on them and not worry about the CWS..........

Jun 21 05 12:21 am Link

Model

Alli B

Syracuse, New York, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

??????????????

un-fu*king believable...

what the hell????? man id be up on all that...pick me!! big_smile lol, if i get my arse down where you are that is....but hell like i said id be up on all that. i dont care if i get a cd of all pics, id rather see myself in a tearsheet and have everyone gaga over it big_smile

Jun 21 05 12:35 am Link

Photographer

F3M Photography

Howell, New Jersey, US

Posted by RFAphoto: 

Posted by Julia Rocker: 

I was thinking the same thing.

Jun 21 05 01:38 pm Link

Model

Mia Ferreri

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

??????????????

un-fu*king believable...

Jun 21 05 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Posted by F3M Photography: 

Posted by RFAphoto: 

Posted by Julia Rocker: 

I was thinking the same thing.

She sure spared me the trouble of reaching out to her.

Jun 21 05 03:25 pm Link

Model

Soshanna

Murrieta, California, US

OK, I'm going to give my 2 cents on this.

In the past, I used to respond to everyone who emailed me, and I would either accept, or decline nicely.

Almost everytime I declined, I would get some sort of snooty response from the photographer, or no response at all.

So, basically, to avoid having to read a snooty response, I stopped responding to some of them.

Just recently, I received MANY emails, almost daily, from one photographer on here that would not leave me alone, and because of my non-response to every email he sent me, he started accusing me of being fake, and saying I was a typical i-net model. He also emailed my friend, and told her that she will never be a professional model just because she didn't want to go to a shoot alone. Some photographers are quite mean.

I read this forum earlier today, and feeling guilty, I went back to my emails and responded to those I had forgotten to respond to.

Again, unkind responses.

I know that all photographers are not mean, but it gets tiring having to explain why you can't do a shoot, and the photographers taking it personal.

Jun 21 05 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Interesting point Soshanna, I hadn't heard about the snooty responses, but it doesn't surprise me.

The key from either side is perhaps just to accept that often an acceptance or rejection is based on circumstances and timing, for example what someone needs or doesn't need for their book at that time, and usually it's nothing personal. 

Jun 21 05 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

There are some photographers out there who are insecure, immature, and downright mean spirited.  I wish that there were some way that only the sincerest, most talented, most professional people on both sides of the camera could connect and be spared dealing with the others.

Jun 21 05 06:19 pm Link

Model

Soshanna

Murrieta, California, US

I just think everyone is super defensive, so they read everything the wrong way and allow their past experiences to influence the way they deal with the present. I know that happens to me. I keep trying new approaches in how I handle situations, but unfortunately, I can't find one that ends on a happy note. I think anytime someone denys someone of something, someone gets hurt.

Jun 21 05 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

DeputyDawg

East Peoria, Illinois, US

Before hiring or asking any models for work, you may want to check them out here:

http://www.no-shows.com/

I haven't looked into it a lot but, it may list "no show" photographers also.

Hope this helps everyone.

Mike

Jun 21 05 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

RFAphoto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Posted by Soshanna: 

In the past, I used to respond to everyone who emailed me, and I would either accept, or decline nicely.

Almost everytime I declined, I would get some sort of snooty response from the photographer, or no response at all.

So, basically, to avoid having to read a snooty response, I stopped responding to some of them.

Just recently, I received MANY emails, almost daily, from one photographer on here that would not leave me alone, and because of my non-response to every email he sent me, he started accusing me of being fake, and saying I was a typical i-net model. He also emailed my friend, and told her that she will never be a professional model just because she didn't want to go to a shoot alone. Some photographers are quite mean.

I read this forum earlier today, and feeling guilty, I went back to my emails and responded to those I had forgotten to respond to.

Again, unkind responses.

I know that all photographers are not mean, but it gets tiring having to explain why you can't do a shoot, and the photographers taking it personal. 

I'm sorry to hear that so many feel they have to send a snooty reply to recieving a polite decline. It that case I'd say hit delete, no response if really nessasary, There is nothing to gain at that point. You said "no Thanks", no further correspondance is nessasary in the name of professionalism. If they keep replying to try to change your mind, again, no reply is nessassary, You said no already, I'd say Delete is perfectly acceptable there as well.

I'm not in this for pen pals, and I don't expect any models to be looking for one either. You have to wonder about the people who keep replying trying to convince someone to work with them, do they pull that crap with an editor?  "I know you rejected my submission, BUT PLEEEEESE" C'mon get Real!

Jun 21 05 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Faro

Tallassee, Alabama, US

Posted by Rob Ryan: 
Be interested in knowing if the request are going out to models in his area, Alabama, or are the request going out to anyone anywhere. Your not going to get a response from a model from Arizone for a TFP from a photographer in Alabama.

Posted by Faro: 
Is this a common problem or am I the only one ?
I've sent out dozens of request for shoots both PAID and TFP to models on this site and others,and to a large degree I get NO RESPONSE.
I don't know if the models are recieving my request, aren't interested,  or saying F U .
As a "Professional Photographer", I answer all request for shoots and photos, and if I can't find the time or
the model isn't particually interesting to me, I at least respectfully decline. It's a question of professional courtesy. So if models are professional, why don't they at least send a response. I see on MM where my messages have or have not been read, THANKS  MM

Jun 21 05 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Faro

Tallassee, Alabama, US

It all goes back to profrssionalism. I have NEVER sent a snooty responce to a turndown.

Posted by Soshanna: 

Again, unkind responses.

Jun 21 05 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Siu

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

A Polite reply would be very welcome.

As I build my portfolio,  I try to show the updated pictures to the model that I would very much like to photograph in hopes of changing their mind.   Is this appropriate? 

Jun 21 05 11:41 pm Link

Model

Girly - Sally Sparrow

Wheat Ridge, Colorado, US

Posted by Leila: 
I've had photographers contact me to work with them, then I email them back saying sure when are you free, then never hear from them again. Clearly its not just models who have this problem.

I have this problem, too.

Jun 22 05 04:10 pm Link

Model

Soshanna

Murrieta, California, US

Posted by Girly: 

Posted by Leila: 
I've had photographers contact me to work with them, then I email them back saying sure when are you free, then never hear from them again. Clearly its not just models who have this problem.

I have had this too -

Jun 22 05 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Soshanna: 

Posted by Girly: 

Posted by Leila: 

I have had this too - 

Not from me.

I will shoot with Soshanna on my deathbed. Tell the Grim Reaper we need to postpone, Soshanna is ready for me.

Jun 22 05 08:50 pm Link