Forums > Model Colloquy > which model agency in L.A. is the best?

Model

virtualbeauty

Los Angeles, California, US

Hi Dear MM models.I am starting modeling in L.A.,and i would like to ask if someone knows which agency in L.A.is the best for girls?
Thanks so much!
Agne

Jun 13 08 10:01 pm Link

Model

Kennedy Deshawn

Chicago, Illinois, US

good lord you are stunning...that is all that i had to contribute, carry on

Jun 13 08 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

jackbutters

Astoria, Illinois, US

virtualbeauty wrote:
Hi Dear MM models.I am starting modeling in L.A.,and i would like to ask if someone knows which agency in L.A.is the best for girls?
Thanks so much!
Agne

William Morris Agency - after maybe you get a SAG card.

The other best agency in LA would be to land a few dates with George Clooney,
he is single now and if you got photographed with him. Oh what it could do
for your career. - wink wink

Jun 13 08 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

I have a list of some of the better known ones here.
http://blog.patyuen.com/lessons/mmhelp01/

Jun 13 08 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Taverner Photography

Pasadena, California, US

photo[genics
Nous
Vision
Otto
Vue
Bleu
Click
LA Models
Elite
Ford
NEXT

; )

Jun 13 08 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

There's no such thing as "best."

You haven't clearly defined what sort of modeling you intend to do once you sign to an agency, but in the L.A. market, you won't really make any money whatsoever as a fashion model.  Elite has a lot more commercial clients and the credibility of a fashion agency.  LA Models and Photogenics have exclusive contracts to provide models for LA Fashion Week if you're interested in runway.  Nous and I Models are very good agencies which are more on the boutique side (fewer represented models).  Next and Ford are both very strong but fiercely competitive so unless you're a top booker, you will probably flounder and get lost in the catalogue.

edit:
I checked out your pictures, and I think you'd be best suited for commercial and lifestyle modeling, which in Los Angeles, is where the serious money lives.  If I were you, I'd ditch the editorial fashion direction and try to reinvent your portfolio with a softer, more smiley and natural motif.

Jun 13 08 11:38 pm Link

Model

virtualbeauty

Thanks so much!!

Jun 14 08 02:49 am Link

Photographer

xaveir

Atlanta, Georgia, US

NOUS.   Best mens and womens board in LA . On top of that they have the most National & International Bookings.  Everyone you see in magazines is with them.

Jun 14 08 02:54 am Link

Photographer

Didier Chevalier

Brian Ziff wrote:

You haven't clearly defined what sort of modeling you intend to do once you sign to an agency, but in the L.A. market, you won't really make any money whatsoever as a fashion model.  Elite has a lot more commercial clients and the credibility of a fashion agency.  LA Models and Photogenics have exclusive contracts to provide models for LA Fashion Week if you're interested in runway.  Nous and I Models are very good agencies which are more on the boutique side (fewer represented models).  Next and Ford are both very strong but fiercely competitive so unless you're a top booker, you will probably flounder and get lost in the catalogue.

edit:
I checked out your pictures, and I think you'd be best suited for commercial and lifestyle modeling, which in Los Angeles, is where the serious money lives.  If I were you, I'd ditch the editorial fashion direction and try to reinvent your portfolio with a softer, more smiley and natural motif.

Jun 14 08 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Didier Chevalier

Brian I want to thank you for this great answer. You are right on.
D

Jun 14 08 03:04 am Link

Photographer

MartinImages

I love Photogenics.  The agent there for women is top notch.

LA Models has a huge roster, but auditions a lot.  Very pro.  I like.

Vision is coming on strong.  Not so 'service'-y when I'm booking...but selective and very pro.

Next and Q are both very legit, and have been lovely to work with.

I-models has gone thru changes, new-ish and not 'A-list'..but they've sent me lovely people. 

Otto Models is not considered 'A-list' either..but lovely people and they book a lot.  That'd be backup.

Ford is still strong..but not as hip, IMO. 

Those are my faves.  Tons of others.

Hope that helps you.

B

Jun 14 08 11:04 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I am going to throw a little rain on the parade here.  There have been a lot of good suggestions (and a few not so good ones) as to agencies in L.A.  What has to be remembered is that, in most cases, it will be the agency that picks you rather than you picking an agency.  You are also starting out at twenty-two which may also limit some of your options.

You have a great look and I think there is a good chance that you will be signed, but my advice would be to go to every open call and see who is interested in you.  Once you find out your options, a better question would be, of the agents that are willing to sign you, what would be the best way to go?

Good luck to you.  I love your look.

Jun 14 08 11:10 am Link

Model

_Blip_

Tampa, Florida, US

Brian Ziff wrote:

edit:

Very solid advice. Brian is absolutely spot-on correct here. I'd take his advice.

Jun 14 08 11:13 am Link

Photographer

MartinImages

I don't agree.

Based on what I see in your port, you should give the fashion agencies a chance.  I think you'd find at least some of them interested.

It's a numbers game...and in this short post, everyone's commented on your 'look'.  That's a good sign.

Aim high and hit 'em all, I say.  You need "polas", if you don't have 'em.

B

Jun 14 08 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Kennedy Deshawn wrote:
good lord you are stunning...that is all that i had to contribute, carry on

Cosigned!

Jun 14 08 11:32 am Link

Model

Jordana Joyce

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

martinimages wrote:
I don't agree.

Based on what I see in your port, you should give the fashion agencies a chance.  I think you'd find at least some of them interested.

It's a numbers game...and in this short post, everyone's commented on your 'look'.  That's a good sign.

Aim high and hit 'em all, I say.  You need "polas", if you don't have 'em.

B

Ditto. And good luck smile

Jun 14 08 11:38 am Link

Model

Taylor Montague

What can anyone tell me about Wilhelmina LA?

Dec 13 12 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

California Girls Skate

virtualbeauty wrote:
I am starting modeling in L.A.,and i would like to ask if someone knows which agency in L.A.is the best for girls?

I haven't a clue, but the way you look, you're gonna find out really quick. wink

Dec 14 12 12:47 am Link

Photographer

Luc_Smith

MartinImages wrote:
I love Photogenics.  The agent there for women is top notch.

LA Models has a huge roster, but auditions a lot.  Very pro.  I like.

Vision is coming on strong.  Not so 'service'-y when I'm booking...but selective and very pro.

Next and Q are both very legit, and have been lovely to work with.

I-models has gone thru changes, new-ish and not 'A-list'..but they've sent me lovely people. 

Otto Models is not considered 'A-list' either..but lovely people and they book a lot.  That'd be backup.

Ford is still strong..but not as hip, IMO. 

Those are my faves.  Tons of others.

Hope that helps you.

B

This is dead-on accurate.

Jan 19 13 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

faltered

NEXT
Vision
Industry Model Group
Nous
Wilhelmina
Elite
LA Models
Photogenics

Those agencies account for the vast majority of the fashion and editorial bookings in town. They are the agencies that get castings from ad agencies as well as in-house corporate.

Jan 19 13 04:26 pm Link