Forums > General Industry > The Future...

Model

victory228

Chicago, Illinois, US

For some of you this will be stupid.

I'm really tired and really bored, which makes my mind race with thoughtless crap.

But I was thinking, a few years ago, this whole internet modeling thing didn't exist.  This is so... virtual and fake, you set up appointments with people and 'hope' they will show.  (Obviously, reading half of the topics, they don't)

But can you imagine what it'll be like in the future?

My ten cents goes to the development of webcams.  Webcams are crap now (like cell phone cams) but can you imagine really high tech webcams?  Think if the photographer could "control" the webcam, and it would be up to the model to be in a studio.  Then a model from Chicago could easily work with a photographer form California... which would totally prevent me from getting sad from tags like:
"Great look, drop me a line if you're ever in the west coast." sad

Or the better question that always is in my mind.  Who will die out first, the photographer or the model?  Who do we need more?  Maybe holograms will provide photographers with flawless models?

I can't believe I'm about to press the "New thread!" button.  Somebody stop me.

Feb 16 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

drothrock wrote:
The Future...

...is fun
The Future is fair
They may have already won
You may already be there

Helloo,oo,oo Hello,oo,oo,
We're glad you made it
Welcome To...The Future!

--Firesign Theatre, I Think We're All Bozos On This Bus

Feb 16 06 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Goodwin

Phoenix, Arizona, US

"The future isn't what it use to be"

Feb 17 06 12:05 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Jim Goodwin wrote:
"The future isn't what it use to be"

The future is never going to be here.

Feb 17 06 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

drothrock wrote:
My ten cents goes to the development of webcams.  Webcams are crap now (like cell phone cams) but can you imagine really high tech webcams?  Think if the photographer could "control" the webcam, and it would be up to the model to be in a studio.  Then a model from Chicago could easily work with a photographer form California... which would totally prevent me from getting sad from tags like:

[edit]

Or the better question that always is in my mind.  Who will die out first, the photographer or the model?  Who do we need more?  Maybe holograms will provide photographers with flawless models?

On the first point:  Read Sky and Telescope (now those are REAL cameras).  Many amateur astronomers live in the city and have telescopes set up hundreds of miles away that they control through the internet to observe the stars from a spot where the sky is darker.

On your second point:  Go watch King Kong.  The best "actor" in the movie is the animated ape.

Feb 17 06 01:00 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Ivan123 wrote:
On your second point:  Go watch King Kong.  The best "actor" in the movie is the animated ape.

Yes,  but I think that could be said for all versions made.

Feb 17 06 01:43 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

The future of photography will defiantly change as it has done so much in recent years.  I worked on a project about 8 years ago designing a robotic studio lighting system that would allow a photographer in one part of the world to shoot a background image, while the model was being shot simultaneously in a blue-screen studio somewhere else.  The idea was to capture lighting and camera position parameters on location and transmit that along with the image data back to the studio.  In other words, the studio photographer controlled the location camera and the location camera controlled the studio lights. It would have allowed the studio photographer to shoot a model walking on a beach without actually being there.

Feb 17 06 02:02 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
The future of photography will defiantly change as it has done so much in recent years.  I worked on a project about 8 years ago designing a robotic studio lighting system that would allow a photographer in one part of the world to shoot a background image, while the model was being shot simultaneously in a blue-screen studio somewhere else.  The idea was to capture lighting and camera position parameters on location and transmit that along with the image data back to the studio.  In other words, the studio photographer controlled the location camera and the location camera controlled the studio lights. It would have allowed the studio photographer to shoot a model walking on a beach without actually being there.

A big part of me is wondering why anyone would want to develop "studio by remote".  A huge part of being a photographer is the visceral experience of shooting.  If I want to shoot a model on a beach, then I want to experience the beach, too.

The future of photography?  More digitization and the eventual death of film (yes, it will happen at some point.)  I hate to think about it, but we're going to see smarter and smarter cameras that eliminate the "art" of being a photographer.

In the far distant future, we're probably going to have holographic capture devices (or some other 3-D animal.)

Feb 17 06 02:23 am Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

In the future, the models will be in india and the photographers in china. apparently, its a lot cheaper this way.

Feb 17 06 07:03 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I'll speculate a little.  I do think that commercial photography will become more directly controlled by art directors, rather than photographers, as most art directors already resent that photographers are the messy middle-man.  Models will be green-screen posed with background handled separately, and possibly with a selection of mechanized standard lighting schemes.

Art photography will go in the opposite direction as a reaction against the slickness and lack of humanity in commercial photography.

This has already started.  Commercial photography is already dictated more by ADs than ever before, and there is already less interaction between models and their environment.  Art photographers have gone to Lomas and other primitive techniques in an attempt to put more human imperfections into their images.

As always, art techniques will find their way into commercial photography - if they didn't, commercial photography would never change.  But as more art becomes commercialized, artists will deliberately pull farther and farther away, using more primitive techniques in an effort to find places art directors can't go.  And art directors will find a way to go there anyway - but will find it very expensive.

-Don

Feb 17 06 08:47 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

dupe dammit

Feb 17 06 08:47 am Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Have you heard of videio conferencing?  Have a friend that worked for a company about six years ago.  It was in it's infantcy.  So was television!  Anything's possiable. R-

Feb 19 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

rick lesser wrote:
Have you heard of videio conferencing?  Have a friend that worked for a company about six years ago.  It was in it's infantcy.  So was television!  Anything's possiable. R-

Sat on the plane next to a guy last trip whose company went one better with a camera and flat screen per attendee.  You sat across the table from the virtual persona and so did everyone, no matter where they were.  When you looked at someone, he saw you looking.  When you cleared your throat, they all looked your way.

T3 line necessary to work the system, but someone somewhere will find it cheaper than flying when nuance is necessary for a meeting.

-Don

Feb 19 06 10:20 pm Link