Forums > General Industry > glowing, dewy look

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I'm posting here because I'm not sure if this is really a lighting or a makeup thing.  How does one get a dewy look to the model's skin (maybe metallic, maybe not) and get a nice soft glowing reflection instead of a hard edged highlight/shine?  More diffusers/bounces?  Certain kinds of makeup?

Feb 17 06 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Do you have any examples?

Feb 17 06 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
I'm posting here because I'm not sure if this is really a lighting or a makeup thing.  How does one get a dewy look to the model's skin (maybe metallic, maybe not) and get a nice soft glowing reflection instead of a hard edged highlight/shine?  More diffusers/bounces?  Certain kinds of makeup?

Do you mean like my avatar?

Feb 17 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

AllenA

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Sounds more like digital darkroom stuff from your description....

???

Feb 17 06 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I like how the highlights (especially in the face) are soft edged, not like "shine marks" which some of us spend plenty of time photoshopping out... I want to see the model looking luminescent and reflective without looking greasy.

sean armenta:
https://img1.modelmayhem.com/060211/22/43eeb9609b592.jpg

ganked from the loreal website:
https://www.maxfactor.com/products/face/img/home/face.jpg

i'm looking for more examples.

Feb 17 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:

I am not really sure of your question but regular body lotion tends to leave a soft sheen as apposed to an oil shine.  As far as lighting, think of the body as a curved reflective surface. You are going to get highlights.  Position lighting at angles to reduce the hotspots and setup reflector boards or tent the model to defuse. You can also use gray to black boards to tone down areas.

You may need to post an example especially if you are talking about a photoshop technique.

Feb 17 06 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

AllenA

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Start with a well exposed pic, then dodge & burn in realistic places?

EDIT: a while back I was messing about in PS with a snapshot I took of a friend.  Very flat lighting, so I added some:

http://allen3231.fotopic.net/p11071340.html

.... and I also did a smudge to the skin.  I'm not happy with the 'orange peel' look, but I didn't want to smooth the skin to give it the look of plastic....

The highlights are 100% photoshop though.  I'm experimenting a bit more and more, but I don't want to rely on it.

Anyway, dunno if this helps in any way, shape, or form....

Cheers,

Allen

Feb 17 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Wayne Higgins

Large diffused light sources very close to the model. 5' and up octaboxes. Big lightbanks etc provide soft edges and little in the way of specular highlights (those "shiny spots:"). Shooting strobes through Large diffusion panels helps.

Feb 17 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Los Angeles, California, US

funny... people keep using my images as examples ... but no one ever just ASKS me directly ...

or at least ask if it's okay to use my images...it's definitely a nice surprise, but please ask first.  smile  and at the VERY least, give a credit line to the photographer wink

you know... 90% of the time, if you ask the artist directly about his/her work, they will most likely give you info about the work.

such as:

it's a combination of makeup and lighting.  several products will give that dewy look or sheen to skin, and the quality of the highlights will vary depending on the product used.  you can use baby oil, lotion with shimmer in it, shimmer powder, vaseline, glycerine, water, or any combination of the above.  i've seen makeup artists mix foundation with shimmer stuff (for lack of the right term), or mix lotion with baby oil, etc...

but you have to experiment in order to get the look you want.  baby oil (not the gel) will give you the hottest highlights.  on the other end, shimmer powder will probably give you the softest highlights in my experience (i could be wrong, so someone please correct me).

your lighting will affect how the sheen is brought out.  the image above was lit with a diffused beauty dish.  a silver umbrella would have worked as well.  i personally would not use a softbox for this situation.  but again, that's just me, and you must find what works best for you. 

i also did not need to dodge/burn this image in ps.  i try to get as much as i can in-camera.  and for god's sake there was NO diffuse glow LOL!  i did do a desat in ps...but that was really it. 

hope that helps...

Feb 18 06 02:11 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Soft, matte-finish makeup and BIG softboxes.

Feb 18 06 02:27 am Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Sean Armenta wrote:
funny... people keep using my images as examples ... but no one ever just ASKS me directly ...

or at least ask if it's okay to use my images...it's definitely a nice surprise, but please ask first.  smile  and at the VERY least, give a credit line to the photographer wink

you know... 90% of the time, if you ask the artist directly about his/her work, they will most likely give you info about the work.

such as:

it's a combination of makeup and lighting.  several products will give that dewy look or sheen to skin, and the quality of the highlights will vary depending on the product used.  you can use baby oil, lotion with shimmer in it, shimmer powder, vaseline, glycerine, water, or any combination of the above.  i've seen makeup artists mix foundation with shimmer stuff (for lack of the right term), or mix lotion with baby oil, etc...

but you have to experiment in order to get the look you want.  baby oil (not the gel) will give you the hottest highlights.  on the other end, shimmer powder will probably give you the softest highlights in my experience (i could be wrong, so someone please correct me).

your lighting will affect how the sheen is brought out.  the image above was lit with a diffused beauty dish.  a silver umbrella would have worked as well.  i personally would not use a softbox for this situation.  but again, that's just me, and you must find what works best for you. 

i also did not need to dodge/burn this image in ps.  i try to get as much as i can in-camera.  and for god's sake there was NO diffuse glow LOL!  i did do a desat in ps...but that was really it. 

hope that helps...

I'm sorry, I guess I didn't realize you were active on the forums.  Thank you for your help.  how is a diffused beauty dish different from a softbox or a diffused umbrella?  White vs. Silver?  The direction of the light head?

Feb 18 06 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Los Angeles, California, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't realize you were active on the forums.  Thank you for your help.  how is a diffused beauty dish different from a softbox or a diffused umbrella?  White vs. Silver?  The direction of the light head?

how are apples different from oranges?

sometimes you just prefer the taste of one over the other.

it's not that hard to figure out how certain modifiers will affect light quality.  you just need to pay attention to a few things:

position of head in the modifier (direct or indirect)
material reflectivity (silver or white)
size and shape of modifier

and people, experiment!  don't get stuck asking.  learn something.  you're shooting digital!  it's not like we're all shooting film and have to pay for film/processing.  you can adjust on the fly and learn at an enormous rate.  i don't understand the apprehension to just go and try something instead of spending all day on the forums searching for answers.  go out and shoot!

Feb 18 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Wayne Higgins wrote:
Large diffused light sources very close to the model. 5' and up octaboxes. Big lightbanks etc provide soft edges and little in the way of specular highlights (those "shiny spots:"). Shooting strobes through Large diffusion panels helps.

This is true. A large light source as close to the subject as possible will have the softest light. Makeup can of course be used in addition to this, but the concept of big light up close would be the place to start.

Feb 18 06 03:49 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

The easiest way I found is with the new mineral makeup.  There is a company called IPCosmetics.com that carries a wide range.  The owner has been in the business for years.  She's a union makeup artist and caters to the industry.  They have a great wet/dry foundation.  I used it on a male model not too long ago and as the morning started to heat up his skin looked better and better. It creates a very soft sheen.  It depends on how you apply it.  The second think is you can add a light moisturizer to a water based foundation.  Don't powder.  Just use a facial tissue to blot at the end of the application.  Since the shoot is for you, find the right model who's complextion isn't too oily to begin with!  R-

Feb 19 06 09:12 pm Link