Model

JessicaMK

South Bend, Indiana, US

I just got hired to do a runway show in a couple days but Im really scared cuz I have never walked a runway before. Does anyone have any advice or tips for me? Thank you all so much!

Feb 17 06 05:45 pm Link

Model

Amanda Jeanne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Walk with confidence, don't let anyone know you're nervous... if you're really good, you might even fool yourself wink Keep your head up, focus ahead of you and not on the other models. One show, I had a model try and talk to me as we were crossing paths, I'm not even joking. She was asking me if she looked alright. I just smiled at her and kept walking.. also, be prepared that people in the audience may comment or try and talk to you. You may have some real snitty/bitchy comments from some of the females and some crude comments from some of the younger males. Not always, but it happens. Pay no attention.

Practice walking around in heels, the heels you'll be wearing if possible. Do this infront of a mirror to see what you're going for. Avoid picking up your feet too much, thus looking like a horse.

Chances are that there will be a little bit of a run-through beforehand to practice your speed.

Feb 17 06 06:22 pm Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

Amanda Jeanne wrote:
Walk with confidence, don't let anyone know you're nervous... if you're really good, you might even fool yourself wink Keep your head up, focus ahead of you and not on the other models. One show, I had a model try and talk to me as we were crossing paths, I'm not even joking. She was asking me if she looked alright. I just smiled at her and kept walking.. also, be prepared that people in the audience may comment or try and talk to you. You may have some real snitty/bitchy comments from some of the females and some crude comments from some of the younger males. Not always, but it happens. Pay no attention.

Practice walking around in heels, the heels you'll be wearing if possible. Do this infront of a mirror to see what you're going for. Avoid picking up your feet too much, thus looking like a horse.

Chances are that there will be a little bit of a run-through beforehand to practice your speed.

I agree totally. My #1 advice is CONFIDENCE! Also, if you have a long hallway in your house....throw on some heels and just walk up and down it repeatedly. Just to get use to the length of the runway.

Feb 17 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

JessicaMK wrote:
I just got hired to do a runway show in a couple days but Im really scared cuz I have never walked a runway before. Does anyone have any advice or tips for me? Thank you all so much!

Have fun doing it, don't cramp up, try not to be nervous, enjoy the process, don't drive yourself crazy.

Do NOT look down on the runway, you won't trip!

Look straight forward into the cameras, don't blink like a machine gun, look serious or have nice smile... try to "seduce" the media in front of you, defocus.

Take your time when you pose for the photographers, don't do it too fast, if they catch the back of your head, or with eyes closed... I can guarantee you that those images will be deleted during selection and not even submitted.

And, last but not least, relax and have fun, enjoy the process.

Feb 17 06 09:54 pm Link

Model

Kelley De Lee

Aledo, Texas, US

I bet you are soo excited!! dont worry a bit! You are going to have a blast no matter what! It is very important that you have confidence however, you have to show you have confidence!! You show you have confidence in certain ways that you walk. You have to keep your posture as though someone was pulling your spine straight up by a string perfectly straight to your tallest and you have to take extra long strides in a straight line to make you legs look very long and you must keep your head up to show off your long neck and you must smile only with your eyes to give a striking stare. Practice like they were saying in heels as much as you can in a long hallway and practice your end of the runway pose in the mirror because that is the money shot! And have fun,.. you are a gorgeous girl and I am sure you will do awesome!

xoxo

Feb 19 06 12:38 am Link

Model

Seamus Redmond

Reno, Nevada, US

Just relax and let your body flow with the music. Just be yourself and fun and give them the look they want. HAVE FUN.

Feb 21 06 12:14 am Link

Photographer

NinoRoy

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

watch a couple of old episodes of america's next top model! (esp when they take the girls on a runway walk)

here are some runways tips from j. alexander:
http://people.aol.com/people/articles/0 … 42,00.html

Feb 21 06 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Does the production manager/promoter know you don’t have any experience?
I would think you should be upfront with them before they find out the hard way and get upset with you after the show.

Cut from the above link:

DON'T: Be unprepared
In the first episode of ANTM, Sara slipped on the runway because she had a problem balancing in high-heeled shoes. "It's best to put them on as soon as you get them and get used to walking in them before you go out in front of the crowd," says Alexander. Then you can walk the walk like you were born wearing stilettos.

To add to that, don't lie

Feb 21 06 12:33 am Link