Forums > Photography Talk > Giving model pictures without watermark?

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Do you think it's a good idea to give the model or anyone the pictures you did without a watermark? A model I did a shoot with recently wants a digital copy of the pictures we took (the digitally fixed ones and the extra shots) without the "Tony Sharp (c)" watermark. Do you think it would be better if I just sent her the extra shots without watermark but keep my watermark on the pictures I fixed?

Jun 20 05 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

RFAphoto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I'd be willing to put on a small unobtrusive mark but my photo's from TFP always bear my stamp, it's part of the deal, Advertising for me! I also Never give out anything other that 72DPI resolution, I consider 300DPI Printable quality and a Digital "Negative" so to speak. That's just me though.

Jun 20 05 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

I have two kinds of discs I make:

1. Two directories, 72dpi images, no more than 600px on a side, one directory watermarked and one not. My release states that models must use the watermarked version when posting anywhere other than their own site, and in both cases, give a credit and URL.

2. Three directories, the first two as above, the third with full-resolution full-quality jpegs suitable for printing. This is for models with whom I have an arrangement to give printable versions, works-for-hire, and the like. These are very rare, but happen.

That's me. I should note, though, that 95% of my work is TFP because I don't shoot to make a living.

Jun 20 05 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I never watermark anything, however I also require all my TFP models to have expierience, if I was shooting a girl for her first photos maybe it would be different. Many of the girls who shoot with me usually charge for shoots, but do some TFP. Since they are provacative photos, I don't watermark them. However I give them only a limited photo release for print and web and never sign a release the model brings herself for shared copyright...

I don't tfp "headshot" style photography anymore so I guess it isn't as much of a problem. Back when I did TFP that I didn't know enough to watermark it...

oh well

Star

Jun 21 05 12:03 am Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Posted by Tony Sharp: 
Do you think it's a good idea to give the model or anyone the pictures you did without a watermark? A model I did a shoot with recently wants a digital copy of the pictures we took (the digitally fixed ones and the extra shots) without the "Tony Sharp (c)" watermark. Do you think it would be better if I just sent her the extra shots without watermark but keep my watermark on the pictures I fixed?

keep the watermark!! it looks great!

Jun 21 05 12:08 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Your watermark is outlandishly large and distracting. I can see why she'd want the shots without them.

Jun 21 05 12:16 am Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

lol....i still like it

Jun 21 05 12:20 am Link

Model

Kendell

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

can anyone explain how to leave a water mark on the photos all at once without selecting photos individually.

I have a photo galley and will like to watermark all photos together. is it possible

Jun 21 05 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by Kendell: 
can anyone explain how to leave a water mark on the photos all at once without selecting photos individually.

I have a photo galley and will like to watermark all photos together. is it possible 

Create a photoshop action to add them and use the batch functionality.

If you don't know how to do that, a tutorial would be much more than just a post here. In that case, I highly recommend that you join NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals) and drink from their firehose of Photoshop tutorials.

Jun 21 05 01:20 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by Kendell: 

try a batch photo processor

Jun 21 05 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Merle

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

I add my copyright info to images sized for the web, but do not add it for printable (hi res) images. Nothing more tacky that to have copyright info in ones hardbook.

Merle

Jun 21 05 06:59 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Merle: 
I add my copyright info to images sized for the web, but do not add it for printable (hi res) images. Nothing more tacky that to have copyright info in ones hardbook.

Merle

I hope you are not doing that for TFP.

What prevents someone from downsizing the hires image and posting on the web?

Jun 21 05 09:01 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Kendell: 

The PS CS web gallery batch function will make the catalog and add any "security" watermark you want.

RTFM

Jun 21 05 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Dan RI

Providence, Rhode Island, US

Posted by theda: 
Your watermark is outlandishly large and distracting. I can see why she'd want the shots without them.

Yes,  tone it down a bit and maybe you will not have the problem.

Jun 21 05 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Merle

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

Posted by XtremeArtists ?: 

Posted by Merle: 

Merle

I hope you are not doing that for TFP.

Yes, I do it for TFP, and there is nothing preventing them from being downsized, There is also nothing preventing them from cloning or cropping out the copyright on a lo-res shot either.

Jun 21 05 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by !MDF: 

Posted by theda: 

The big watermark is only for the pictures I post on the internet. The pictures I give to the models have a much smaller watermark.

Jun 21 05 10:05 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Ouch. I'd be embarassed to put any shot in my print book with a watermark on it. It just screams "wannabe."

Posted by Tony Sharp: 

Posted by !MDF: 

Posted by theda: 

The big watermark is only for the pictures I post on the internet. The pictures I give to the models have a much smaller watermark.

Jun 22 05 12:02 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

The copyright waiver.  It's those little pieces of paper we sign that prevent us from screwing each over in all sorts of ways. Or at least they make us think twice.

Jun 22 05 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Ouch My Eye

Seattle, Washington, US

I don't watermark anything...
I think they look very silly.
I HOPE that on some level people can see my work as different enough that they would know it is mine...I know I am dreaming.
Anyway the problem that I have run into is giving images to models who butcher them up in photoshop. THEN post as mine...that is the worst thing possible!

Jun 22 05 02:15 am Link

Photographer

WASH-HI PHOTO

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I seem to be out of step with the  majority here...but if I do a 100% mutual TFP... the model gets a CD without watermark and permission on the CD to use the images for own use.  They are my images by copyright...but TFP assumes to me that it is for MUTUAL benefit...where do I get off as a photographer dis-ing the model by restricting our mutually agreed shoot done for benefit of us both?

If I pay the model...she gets thumbnails to see and has to pay for anything else.

Jun 22 05 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

does anyone know how to set permissions?

To make the photo read only?

I see the option but do not know where to set it?

Jun 22 05 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Bobby Knight

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Posted by RFAphoto: 
I'd be willing to put on a small unobtrusive mark but my photo's from TFP always bear my stamp, it's part of the deal, Advertising for me! I also Never give out anything other that 72DPI resolution, I consider 300DPI Printable quality and a Digital "Negative" so to speak. That's just me though. 

agreed

Jun 22 05 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

jpsc

Santa Clara, California, US

for a TFP shoot - I always give the model all the photos.  Yep all 200 images or so on a CD or 510MB of data.  I just pop my CF card into a CD writer and burn.   I dont carry laptop

Jun 23 05 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I don't use watermarks for my own work, so i'd never put one on an image i give to a model.  I've had one or two models mark images "for" me when they use them various places, but that's up to them; I don't require it. As i share copyright with my models, if they want to put their own mark on work we do together, that's up to them too -- it dosen't bother me.

Jun 23 05 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Vince Miller

Bonney Lake, Washington, US

I know a lot of people use the watermarks and tag lines in borders or whatever to help sell themselves.  And I also know some are protecting images from "theft". 

1. It is a rare moment when I see a photo on any of these internet sites that are worth "stealing". A high percentage of them have no watermark/logo.
2.One down side is if your photo sucks and you and your model don't know any better...Well, just take a look around any internet site, you'll see what I mean...   

Jun 24 05 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Robbie Wolf Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I put a mostly transparent "Proofs - Do not use" watermark diagonally across all proof photos before the model selects which photos they want retouched.

When making the CD after retouching, I use Photoshop to make a photo gallery and for each low resolution image (600 pixel) I add a small border copyright (at the bottom,  outside of the image). I give them a photo gallery of web sized prints for web use and for a reference to the file names of the high resolution images.

My high resolution images get put into a separate folder on the CD without any watermarking because I want them to be able to make nice 8x10/9x12's for their books or whatever.

I don't go way out of my way to put a mark on the actual photo because it really isn't that hard for someone to remove it. So why bother.

Jun 24 05 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

cosfrog

San Diego, California, US

I do a photo gallery with a light 'proof' across of all photos from the shoot for the model to look at and choose. This gallery will be included on the final cd.

I then process photos picked and these will all have my copyright on it. These are web quality and in another folder.

If it is a tfp and I am giving a couple prints as well I typicaly will include the copyright on the print or on a label on the back. If they are paying for the shoot then the prints/web images would be clean, and in the release asks that photo credit be given and I still retain copyright.

Jun 29 05 01:11 pm Link