Forums > General Industry > Who are the artists?

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I am interested in finding out about people like me...people who consider themselves artists no matter what side of the camera they are on.

I am a model, but I also went to art school, concentrated on photography and life drawing, but went on to collage and jewelry design after graduating. Now I find myself doing all this and photoshop as well. So, right now I am working across at least five media. and I still haven't gotten around to doing any formal writing.

Despite aforementioned accreditations, I do not intend for a list of credentials. Rather, I would like to hear from all creative people that find thier every waking moment is consumed by producing art in any of its forms.

Jun 21 05 04:02 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Lapis: 
Despite aforementioned accreditations, I do not intend for a list of credentials. Rather, I would like to hear from all creative people that find thier every waking moment is consumed by producing art in any of its forms. 

What if you have a list of credentials but you are NOT consumed by creation?

I am a published novelist.

I am an award-nominated filmmaker (as writer, director, editor, casting director, and second-unit-cinematographer).

I am a magazine-published, CD-cover-published and art-gallery-featured photographer.

And despite all of that "artistry" in my resume, I still hate to call myself an "artist" because it just sounds so elitist. DaVinci and Michaelangelo were artists. I'm just a guy who writes, made a movie, and takes pictures.

Jun 21 05 04:25 am Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Central Square, New York, US

Posted by Lapis: 
I am interested in finding out about people like me...people who consider themselves artists no matter what side of the camera they are on.

I am a model, but I also went to art school, concentrated on photography and life drawing, but went on to collage and jewelry design after graduating. Now I find myself doing all this and photoshop as well. So, right now I am working across at least five media. and I still haven't gotten around to doing any formal writing.

I'm sure I fall in this list of people. I don't feel like listing anything though because it makes me feel like this is a paint brush measuring contest lol.

Jun 21 05 04:41 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

quite!!!

Jun 21 05 05:26 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Rafael  Alvarez: 
I'm sure I fall in this list of people. I don't feel like listing anything though because it makes me feel like this is a paint brush measuring contest lol.

My Paint brush is bigger than yours......

I think I am an artist. Not sure though. :-)
Thanks for the incredible comments Anjel.

Jun 21 05 06:46 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by Lapis: 

I think you can tell from the pictures on this site who are te artists and who are the hacks. Asking is just asking for a trollfest.

Jun 21 05 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

at the risk of sounding elitist, i consider myself an artist. (there! i said it!!) insomuch as i am not a banker or a grocery clerk--all the things i do to earn my living are in the arts.

am i an artist in my eyes meaning am i some sort of creative genius? well, i like to think i am creative. some days more than others... am i an artist in OTHER people's eyes? that's pretty subjective some people think i am. some may think i'm a hack.  it depends on how many twenty dollar bills i slip them when you ask.

Jun 21 05 07:15 am Link

Photographer

Cristan

Miami, Florida, US

I been told by some purist that persons like myself use "digital effects" to cover up the fact we are not good photographers. So I guess the interpretation can vary from person to person.

Jun 21 05 07:17 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Posted by Cristan: 
I been told by some purist that persons like myself use "digital effects" to cover up the fact we are not good photographers.

that's a stupid statement. does that mean using potassium feracyanide (bleach) in the darkroom to enhance a print, masking negatives or making multiple image prints means you are not a good photographer?

i'm a traditionalist--i like film and i like chemicals more than i like digital, but they are all tools to tell the story. i guess i better stop using photoshop to clean up images i'm printing on the inkjet--someone's gonna be at the door to take my photographer's license and make me forget the secret handshake.

Jun 21 05 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Although I hate to confine myself under a certain catagory, I would have to say I am an artist. My work is an aquired taste I guess...

Rich

Jun 21 05 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Bruce Caines: 

Posted by Cristan: 
I been told by some purist that persons like myself use "digital effects" to cover up the fact we are not good photographers.

that's a stupid statement. does that mean using potassium feracyanide (bleach) in the darkroom to enhance a print, masking negatives or making multiple image prints means you are not a good photographer?

i'm a traditionalist--i like film and i like chemicals more than i like digital, but they are all tools to tell the story. i guess i better stop using photoshop to clean up images i'm printing on the inkjet--someone's gonna be at the door to take my photographer's license and make me forget the secret handshake.

Can you teach me the secret handshake? Please please please!!!!!

Jun 21 05 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 

Posted by Bruce Caines: 
--someone's gonna be at the door to take my photographer's license and make me forget the secret handshake.

Can you teach me the secret handshake? Please please please!!!!!

well, you do know that if i show it to you, i'll have to kill you...

Jun 21 05 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Bruce Caines: 

Show Eric, I will watch.
Bob does not mind dying, We are already banning all Eric's anyway.......

Jun 21 05 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Posted by Ty Simone: 

Posted by Bruce Caines: 

Show Eric, I will watch.

i admire a man whose cowardace is converted into creative problem solving! lol

Jun 21 05 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Bruce Caines: 

Posted by Ty Simone: 

Posted by Bruce Caines: 

Show Eric, I will watch.

i admire a man whose cowardace is converted into creative problem solving! lol

I am not a coward, I am a ... wait, I am a coward. Please don't stone me..... :-P

Jun 21 05 07:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Jun 21 05 08:29 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I have an art degree, so I must be an artist even though it's just a music degree.

Worked as a musician for a few years, and got tired of playing the same songs over and over again for an illiterate audience.

Published a newspaper for a few years, and got tired of writing the same stories for an illiterate audience and having my work used to line bird cages.

Worked as a graphic deigner for a few years doing packaging and promotion for Fortune 500 companies, and got tired of having my work thrown away by consumers.

Working as a photographer, and since people use their eyes since birth, it is a little easier to communicate with the ignorant masses.

Jun 21 05 09:12 am Link

Photographer

argophoto

Portland, Oregon, US

I consider myself an artist and I don't think it's at all elitist to do so.  I thrive on the act of creation, it gives me purpose and pleasure. By the definition supplied by the thread originator I have no problem labeling myself an artist.

Jun 21 05 10:13 am Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I am not an artist by any definition.

Jun 21 05 10:25 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 

Posted by Lapis: 

I am an award-nominated filmmaker (as writer, director, editor, casting director, and second-unit-cinematographer).

I am a magazine-published, CD-cover-published and art-gallery-featured photographer.

And despite all of that "artistry" in my resume, I still hate to call myself an "artist" because it just sounds so elitist. DaVinci and Michaelangelo were artists. I'm just a guy who writes, made a movie, and takes pictures.

Damn, you're a published novelist too?  Now I feel so lazy...

Jun 21 05 10:31 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

People consider me an artist because of the moments I can capture and the ability to capture "truth" (their words, not mine!) and that's why galleries want to do showing with my work.

I would consider myself an artist because I don't really know how I get the results... if I knew... I'd be a craftsman or real photographer.

Jun 21 05 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by Udo R Photography: 
I would consider myself an artist because I don't really know how I get the results... if I knew... I'd be a craftsman or real photographer.

Well said.

Jun 21 05 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
I have an art degree, so I must be an artist even though it's just a music degree.

Worked as a musician for a few years, and got tired of playing the same songs over and over again for an illiterate audience.

Published a newspaper for a few years, and got tired of writing the same stories for an illiterate audience and having my work used to line bird cages.

Worked as a graphic deigner for a few years doing packaging and promotion for Fortune 500 companies, and got tired of having my work thrown away by consumers.

Working as a photographer, and since people use their eyes since birth, it is a little easier to communicate with the ignorant masses.

I don't remember typing that. Looks like the artist in me got up early on the wrong side of the bed this morning...

Jun 21 05 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

I am a Martial-Artist!!
Trained to get the right result!!

(:---

Jun 21 05 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

David Alexandre

London, England, United Kingdom

I believe an artist try to capture the image or whatever the medium he/she feel not always knowing how to achieve that feeling or vision.

Jun 21 05 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

Art is certainly goal, therefore I must be an artist. I've acted, written, and directed theatre and film as well as doing photography. 100 years from now I want my work on museum walls, not in 95 yr old copies of Juggs or Maxim (same thing to me)

Jun 21 05 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Reese: 

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 

Damn, you're a published novelist too?  Now I feel so lazy...

Writing a novel is no big deal. Just takes time. That's all.

The website for the book is about 7 years outdated, but it's The Gothic Rainbow and is a vampire tale.

The movie is The Unseelie Court and you can see a trailer for it online.

But I'm still not an artist. Just a person who makes stuff when I'm not being lazy.

Jun 21 05 05:17 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Honestly, it is five in the morning...and I don't really know if I am an artist or just a manic screwball who has to keep my hands and my brains occupied. Was afraid to call myself an artist until recently when it was pointed out by others that I spend every waking moment doing things labelled as 'creative'. also, I need some justification for being busy all the time and not making any money. off to bed now, ciao.

Jun 22 05 05:04 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Posted by Cristan: 
I been told by some purist that persons like myself use "digital effects" to cover up the fact we are not good photographers. So I guess the interpretation can vary from person to person.

Digital effects in its varied forms is the current way how people alter images. We forget that airbrushing, slapping negatives together, solarization, & so on used to be done in the dark room. There's more but even the fancier stuff is just the latest way in how we tinker/alter those images.

Jun 24 05 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

I'd LIKE TO THINK that I'm an artist, although I'm sure there are people in this world that view me as *gasp* a GWAC.

Call me whatever you want, as long as its not "late for dinner."

Jun 24 05 07:43 am Link

Photographer

bex

Buckingham, England, United Kingdom

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet."

does it matter what you call yourself or anyone else if what you produce has merit and beauty?

Jun 24 05 07:51 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by bex: 

does it matter what you call yourself or anyone else if what you produce has merit and beauty?

No, what's important is how often you call them for paying work.

Jun 24 05 07:57 am Link

Photographer

BarryH

Taipei City, Taipei City, Taiwan

So.... Is an artist because someone who gets paid to create things, or who does it because he loves it enough to do it without getting paid?  (For me, theater work is in the 1st category, photography the 2nd.)

Jun 24 05 08:00 am Link

Photographer

bex

Buckingham, England, United Kingdom

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by bex: 

I'm not sure money and art are a good mix sad

Jun 24 05 08:01 am Link

Photographer

BarryH

Taipei City, Taipei City, Taiwan

Sad but often true, bex.

Jun 24 05 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by bex: 

There are probably a million starving artists that would probably beg to differ with you on that....

(c:

Jun 24 05 08:11 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by bex: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by bex: 

Like water and oil my friend.

You have to marry a crazy Russian woman named Gala and go to America where she will charge more for the picture frames than your actual work.

Having a funny mustache doesn't hurt.

Jun 24 05 08:40 am Link