Forums > Photography Talk > Models with myspace.

Model

FutureExGirlfriend111

Ellsworth, Illinois, US

But now models know from reading this that you might be looking at there myspace so now they can delete all the bad pictures of them selves, so you might not be getting what you expected out of the model....?

Jun 29 08 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

J Bennett Photography

Paramus, New Jersey, US

Greg Cobb Photography wrote:

This is where the subjective opinions of Myspace come into play.  You ASSume that since it's Myspace that no one has anything other than snapshots there.  You couldn't be more wrong.

I use it for networking and it is very helpful in getting paying shoots.  I joined 2 years ago only to see something a friend had on her page.  A few months later I got my own page going and it has benefitted me greatly.

If someone doesn't know how to market or do their own networking with it, don't blame the resource.  smile

I said i would NOT turn down a model just cause i cant see her trashy myspace pics.
Im NOT blaming the rescource, but the model needs to have a way of distribuiting her pics other than myspace.  they should never assume that all photographers, or anyone else doing the hiring, is going to want to bother with myspace. If thats her ONLY rescource, then its foolish.

Jun 29 08 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

DGB Photography

FINKSBURG, Maryland, US

Greg Cobb Photography wrote:

I can see a Gov't application now. "Do you have a Myspace page"?

heh

Actually, they have a policy on "Social Networking Sites" for their employees.

Jun 29 08 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

I like finding models on my space for the reasons that
others don't- I can see what the potential model
actually looks like.
More than once I've been contacted on here
only to go to the models
my space page and find that she doesn't
quite look anything like her modeling pictures.

I think if she looks good in some
amateur snapshots chances are she will
look even better in person.
Nearly all my paid work and most
of the new models I work with
were the result of my space.

Jun 29 08 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

LaurensAntoine 4 FHM

San Diego, California, US

I find Myspace to be the most useful casting tool there is, and require it for all amateur model casting. And, not one's "modeling" profile, but personal profile if there are more than one.

I agree with the original poster's viewpoint regarding images posted on websites like this. Seeing a lady in a natural enviroment, un-retouched, such as one's in folders like "New year's 2008" are much better for selecting ladies to shoot.  I don't agree with Myspace being a "buzzkill" though.

Amateur modeling websites can host some spectacular images that upcoming photographers and stylists take great care, and a lot of time with to make ladies look fantastic. But you need a truer representation of a subject when choosing talent.

In my experience, to really know what you are getting, its best to ask for fresh polaroids, images taken by a friend, or in a mirror.

Jun 29 08 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

LaurensAntoine 4 FHM

San Diego, California, US

Jun 29 08 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Vertigo Photography

Wrightsville, Pennsylvania, US

LaurensAntoine 4 FHM wrote:
I find Myspace to be the most useful casting tool there is, and require it for all amateur model casting. And, not one's "modeling" profile, but personal profile if there are more than one.

I agree with the original poster's viewpoint regarding images posted on websites like this. Seeing a lady in a natural enviroment, un-retouched, such as one's in folders like "New year's 2008" are much better for selecting ladies to shoot.  I don't agree with Myspace being a "buzzkill" though.

Amateur modeling websites can host some spectacular images that upcoming photographers and stylists take great care, and a lot of time with to make ladies look fantastic. But you need a truer representation of a subject when choosing talent.

In my experience, to really know what you are getting, its best to ask for fresh polaroids, images taken by a friend, or in a mirror.

x2

Jun 29 08 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I would think that a photographer who saved himself a bad shooting experience by checking the model's MySpace page should be singing the praises of the site...

Don't shoot the messenger.
  Mr. Cobb summed it up nicely, noting MySpace as a valuable resource, when used properly.
  My MySpace page has brought me far more paying work than I have ever recieved from Mayhem. I have profiles on every rinkydink modeling and photo site I can find, and they ALL bring in referrals.

I always check out any new model I work with, and her MySpace, Facebook, Nexopia, DeviantArt pages as well. They give me a good idea of the person I am looking to work with, and will often say more in their presentation than any interview.
  If I am approaching any model whose images are all heavily photoshopped, I always ask for a face to face prior to booking a shoot.

This is the very reason real world agencies want unretouched images in models' portfolios.

Jun 29 08 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

K E S L E R wrote:

I don't think a model bumming it is the topic.  All of the girls I ever shot obviously look like crap (most women, including my mother lol ) without make up.

I'm addressing all the models that have their pictures liquefied, severe acne retouched, etc, etc.

I'm with you on that.  If all I see are overly retouched images on their MM page it's a red flag. 

I'm just saying not to let some crappy pics on myspace be a deterrent either.  If they do have good work on their MM page I'm going to base my opinion more on that than what I see on a myspace page. 

I wish I could meet all the models I shoot with prior to the shoot, but that's not practical for me.  Most of them come from Seattle or Tacoma which are about 80 and 50 miles from me respectively.  I feel fortunate that they're willing to drive that far to shoot with me and I always do my best even if they're "less than perfect".

Jun 29 08 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

K E S L E R

Los Angeles, California, US

GM Photography wrote:

I'm with you on that.  If all I see are overly retouched images on their MM page it's a red flag. 

I'm just saying not to let some crappy pics on myspace be a deterrent either.  If they do have good work on their MM page I'm going to base my opinion more on that than what I see on a myspace page. 

I wish I could meet all the models I shoot with prior to the shoot, but that's not practical for me.  Most of them come from Seattle or Tacoma which are about 80 and 50 miles from me respectively.  I feel fortunate that they're willing to drive that far to shoot with me and I always do my best even if they're "less than perfect".

Most models if I question the photos that they have, I require they send me a recent unedited photo prior to booking. 

I would say a high percentage of all the models that I've shot look different than the photos they have.  Whether its age, stats, weight.

Jun 29 08 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Frank McAdam

New York, New York, US

Interesting quote from another current thread that has relevance to this discussion:

David LaChapelle finds his new muse on Myspace, then moved her into his home (rent free in a mansion..pretty cool lol) then offers her a position as studio production assistant...
(with no sex involved either lol as I think David is gay)

Jun 29 08 03:01 pm Link

Model

Christy in LA

Los Angeles, California, US

Myspace is so funny. It has opened many doors.
As a photographer, I find many interesting people I like to shoot.

I dont need a perfect looking girl or guy to get a great shot of...Thats the fun of it all...

Every face tells a story....

So if you want to be sure of the model you are getting, go to some agency that has what you want.
My Calender for 2009 is out now on amazon.com--And 3 more magazines come out with my images soon.

3 different billboards are out now with me internationaly, Yet I look nothing like my images on MM.

I look like J.I. JOE !!!!!

Jun 29 08 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

RobotArtFashion

Norfolk, Virginia, US

DJantz wrote:

So it is government, not just a lot of employers

nope, its demonstrated that during background checks most major employers search Google for hits on the future employees,

if you were thinking about giving somebody a job, and on the internet they had multiple pictures and statements involving questionable ethics or behavior, would you be willing to just laugh it off?  its a fact

that's why there are companies that exist that you can pay to clean up your internet image

Jun 29 08 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

RobotArtFashion

Norfolk, Virginia, US

Frank McAdam wrote:
Interesting quote from another current thread that has relevance to this discussion:

David LaChapelle finds his new muse on Myspace, then moved her into his home (rent free in a mansion..pretty cool lol) then offers her a position as studio production assistant...
(with no sex involved either lol as I think David is gay)

no offense to Mr LaChapelle but this really is just an example of someone wealthy recruiting sycophants

rent free and those kind of connections are awesome though, so i may be a wee bit jealous

Jun 29 08 03:59 pm Link