Forums > General Industry > Are clients really concerned about camera brands

Photographer

wgw photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Hey gang:

Are cleints really concerned about the name brand of your camera equipment , as long as they get the quality their looking for?

Do they really care if I shoot with a D70 or a 350D

Let me know.

wgw

Feb 20 06 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

have never had a client ask me where i went to school, who are my influences, what equipment i use, etc.; have had 'em jump straight to "Can I see your Book?" and "Could you provide me an estimate (budget)?" ...

FML, photog

Feb 20 06 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

no, but they are concerned about image quality, resolution and noise.

Feb 20 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

wgw photography wrote:
Hey gang:

Are cleints really concerned about the name brand of your camera equipment , as long as they get the quality their looking for?

Let me know.

wgw

No one cares, unless you are shooting for canon or nikon.

Feb 20 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I hada client razz me about the camera I used for thier shoot. they said it didn't look professional. But when they saw the pics I got with my "unprofesional looking camera" they stop talking about it....

it's not so much the camera, but the skill of the operator behind it... but yes, until people see the work you can produce for them, some will be concerned....

Feb 20 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

Some due, but that depends on the assignment.  For instance, if you are shooting a double spread advertisment, then the quality of your camera is important. 

Or how about a poster?  I use a Canon1Ds2 and it scales great for a 27x40 movie poster size print.  However, on smaller projects, you can't tell the difference between it and my 300D Rebel (In a studio setting of course).  Sure you can use software to scale an image, but still it cannot add detail that simply was not present in the original shot.

Of course most projects seen on MM will be fine with almost any camera, even a Nikon.  J/K!

Feb 20 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

wgw photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Thanks everyone, for taking the time to reply smile

wgw

Feb 20 06 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Samurai B

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

I hope not! I haven't even got a digital SLR!

I use an S7000 which gets me ( and the client) the pics we need...

Oh, don't get me wrong, I fully intend on upgrading as soon as budgets allow, but for the moment, my equipment is just fine! I think that some of people focus WAY too much on "which camera are you using" rather than what the photographer can do with it.

SB

Feb 20 06 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

You ought to see the looks I get when they see my old Mamiya C330.....and yes. It is my main camera! Noone has complained about the results, though..

Feb 20 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Some clients have concerns about final output size, so I'll tell them what gear I use if they need to know. As far as brand goes, I don't think they care.

Feb 20 06 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Never once had it come up in 24 years of shooting.
  In my early days I shot Contax, and when I quit pro work I moved to Pentax, which is still my preferred gear.  I have heard guff from a shooter or two, but never a client.

Feb 20 06 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Duane Allen Rusty Halo

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

I have found that when you mention Nikon or Cannon
the client will have respect for the name
but
the image either from the Nikon or a pinhole oatmeal box
is what sell your work
Duane

Photographer

RayAndWen

OLD HICKORY, Tennessee, US

Our Kodak DC-290 suits our "clients" very well. Some of them are stunned with what you can get from the POS.

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Here's an interesting one... when caught out one day without my camera I stumbled on a breaking news story. What to do? Why pop into the corner shop, of course, and get a single use fixed focus disposable 27fr Agfa camera and shoot away.

The picture ed didn't even ask as long as he got the shots.

Studio36

Feb 20 06 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

wgw photography wrote:
Hey gang:

Let me know.

wgw

Mine are not.

Bottom line  is the pictures not the gear

results pleasing or Not

Sincerely
Ron Blake

Feb 20 06 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

most dont care, but i have two clients that insist on medium format chrome..i dont think they care what produces it..as long as they get what they want...

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Feb 20 06 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

wgw photography wrote:

You need to ask YOUR clients...not random strangers on MM. smile

If you are charging "Pro" prices for your work, most clients will expect you to show up with "Pro" grade (or at least "Pro" looking) equipment.

If you show up with "crap" (or consumer looking equipment) and they still let you shoot...and you produce quality work that exceeds their expectations, the camera issue will no longer be an issue.

Most "Pros" use "Pro" gear not just because of quality differences, but in dependability, durability, versatility and yes...sometimes because they don't want to appear as an "amateur."

BTW, half the time, clients can get "impressed" even before the resulting pictures are shown to them.  How you carry yourself, as well as how you work during a shoot is more indicative of your professionalism than the equipment you use.

Regards,

Denoy

Feb 20 06 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Modport Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

Mark S. Alameel wrote:
Some due, but that depends on the assignment.  For instance, if you are shooting a double spread advertisment, then the quality of your camera is important. 

Or how about a poster?  I use a Canon1Ds2 and it scales great for a 27x40 movie poster size print.  However, on smaller projects, you can't tell the difference between it and my 300D Rebel (In a studio setting of course).  Sure you can use software to scale an image, but still it cannot add detail that simply was not present in the original shot.

Of course most projects seen on MM will be fine with almost any camera, even a Nikon.  J/K!

Wait I have made 30x40's from a Nikon, a 5 year old digital Nikon.

It's funny I was working with a guy who was so hung up on camera brands and mp size and noise, sensor size, etc. Well you shoot Tri-X and push it to 1600 or 3200 and boy will you have grain. So what's a little noise.

When I was shooting Hasselblads at wedding people would always comment. Now with the old digital they just expect you to be digital.

Feb 20 06 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

Samurai B wrote:
I hope not! I haven't even got a digital SLR!

I use an S7000 which gets me ( and the client) the pics we need...

Oh, don't get me wrong, I fully intend on upgrading as soon as budgets allow, but for the moment, my equipment is just fine! I think that some of people focus WAY too much on "which camera are you using" rather than what the photographer can do with it.

SB

glad im not the only one who uses this camera and happy with it tee hee

Feb 21 06 12:42 am Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

Peterson Photography wrote:

Wait I have made 30x40's from a Nikon, a 5 year old digital Nikon.

It's funny I was working with a guy who was so hung up on camera brands and mp size and noise, sensor size, etc. Well you shoot Tri-X and push it to 1600 or 3200 and boy will you have grain. So what's a little noise.

When I was shooting Hasselblads at wedding people would always comment. Now with the old digital they just expect you to be digital.

Sure and I can can use my old 300D and scale it up beyond a movie poster as well.  However, it doesn't mean it will look as good as my 1Ds2.  You just cannot reveal detail that was not originally present without a warp shell bubble and a worm hole.  Yes I did a comparison before I upgraded.

Yes, the 1Ds has significantly less noise and what is acceptable is personal taste.  In the end, the better the glass and the better the sensor, the better your image CAN potentialy be.  Also, with a bigger sensor, you have much more play in the crop and still have more DETAIL than my old and trusted 300D which served me and my wallet very well.

Again, it doesn't mean I am a better photographer, just have cooler toys.

Feb 21 06 02:02 am Link

Photographer

wgw photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Thank you everyone for replying smile wgw

Feb 21 06 04:57 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Care about the brand? No. But they do expect you to act and deal in a professional manner and that you show up with professional looking tools.

Feb 21 06 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

wgw photography wrote:

Back when I was doing commercial work, the clients didn't care about the brand of camera I used as long as I delivered good 4x5 transparencies (for most of my studio stuff).

-Dave

Feb 21 06 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Old Ska Punk

Crivitz, Wisconsin, US

Short answer. . .No.

As others have said, when shooting digital, commercial clients are usually only interested in resolution (or how big the image will be at 300dpi for printing).

In the "old" days, clients might specify format size, 35mm, 120 or 4x5. Some even specified film type (for example, Kodachrome made GREAT vibrant chromes, but were not true to color and were a bitch to scan, so some clients specified Ektachrome or whatever).

But those WERE the old days.

I have both Canon and Fuji digital systems. No one has ever said, "Hey, could you use the Canon on this shoot?" End results are all that matters.

Feb 21 06 08:49 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

The only time my equipment type or brand name as ever come up in conversation with client is during a shoot the shit session.

And even them I'll bet you dimes to dollars they don't remember what brand, Mpxl or lighting I used.

Although recently, I have had a few clients request 10 Mpxl or above in shooting ads.

Guess photo editors are finally learning.

Feb 21 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

Mark S. Alameel wrote:

Alright buddy, the gloves are off - let's step outside!!!

Feb 21 06 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Timm wrote:
In the "old" days, clients might specify format size, 35mm, 120 or 4x5. Some even specified film type (for example, Kodachrome made GREAT vibrant chromes, but were not true to color and were a bitch to scan, so some clients specified Ektachrome or whatever).

But those WERE the old days.

the "old days" are still these days. i still have clients who ask for certain formats and prefer film over digital. though most are very much into the digital mindset some ADs and photo editors appreciate the look of film and request it.

as far as the camera--my clients or subjects are occasionally curious about my cameras because i often use toy cameras (like dianas or holgas) or a 4x5 field camera. if anything, it's a great conversation starter when working with new people (clients/models, etc.) or people who don't like being photographed.

just make the picture pretty.  smile

Feb 21 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

As with Dave and Bruce, my experience is that generally they didn't care as long as I delivered big perfect chromes.  My clients were ecstatic about 6x7 back when 6x6 ruled. 

But ADs that hovered around the shoot, micro-managing, did care - or at least they made snotty comments.  God I hated ADs.

I have also heard that wedding shooters were under huge pressure to use Hassleblads, even though the size of the resulting prints didn't need medium format.

-Don

P.S.  These days "clients" never see the camera and only specify the size of the scans go be delivered, generally around 10mp for typical art anthology books.

Feb 21 06 09:31 am Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

I have.

I have had clients very interested in the equipment that I used. They wanted to know that I was using the best equipment available for the project at hand. Many Art Directors understand the equipment and want to make sure that you are using the best for their shoot.

My hedge fund clients usually ask and checkup on my education and experience. When I get a new client I usually have to give them my resume, and references for my education and experience.

I don't have a problem with a client wanting to know the equipment or experience I have. As long as it makes them feel comfortable, and it keeps them on for the long term.

M

Feb 21 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

I worked for a wedding photography who sealed expensive deals with a Hasselblad displayed on his desk and then went out and actually did the work with two Mamiya C330's.

Feb 21 06 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

Second Glance wrote:

Alright buddy, the gloves are off - let's step outside!!!

YOU WANNA STEP OUTSIDE?  Fine, but if I am not there in 5 minutes, you can start without me!  smile
Mark

Feb 21 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

I've had a client ask me what I shoot with.  Although, later she turned out to be a flake and I never shot with her.  Although, she did try to reschedule after missing her shoot and after I had already shot another model.

Feb 21 06 12:17 pm Link