Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Does dye damage hair?

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I was asked the other day to dye my hair black for a shoot.  It has never been dyed so I don't know anything about it.  I was told I could just dye it for the day and wash out the dye without doing any damage to my hair.  Is that true?  If so, what kind of dye do I use and how does it go on?

Feb 21 06 12:50 am Link

Model

Model Klau Dia

Los Gatos, California, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
I was asked the other day to dye my hair black for a shoot.  It has never been dyed so I don't know anything about it.  I was told I could just dye it for the day and wash out the dye without doing any damage to my hair.  Is that true?  If so, what kind of dye do I use and how does it go on?

To look most natural I would use the dye that last 1 - 2  weeks as opposed to a day dye or colored gel.
You can get it at the drug store, make sure it says "washed out in 7 - 14 shampoos" or something.
I think it's called a level "1" dye.
Remeber
NO AMONIA or PEROXIDE

Feb 21 06 12:53 am Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

I actually used what I call a "rinse" in beauty shop terms, which is basically the the person above me is talking about.  It washes out in 5-10 shampoos... and sometimes sooner sometimes it takes more washes, but its not permanant.  These products usually contain no harsh chemicals that will damage your hair.  I used the rinse because A i felt like being dark again, and B, it was a quick fix cause my roots were showing.  And actually, sometimes dying your hair can add moisture BACK into your hair.  Natural instincts is a good one.  Or you can get the Loreal *i think it is* mouse in a can.  Both work equally well.  I dye my hair all the time, and its pretty healthy and has been. smile

Feb 21 06 12:57 am Link

Model

amanda Irish

Boston, Georgia, US

yes it does and it causes hair to get very thin.
especially if you want a bright color.  because you would have to bleach you hair and then put the color.

Feb 21 06 12:59 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Thanks, this is very helpful.  I like the idea of finding something that moisturizes my hair since it can get dry and frizzy.

Feb 21 06 01:24 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I've never found a black temporary dye that does not look like utter garbage.  Chemical dyes (including semi-permanents) will damage your hair to an extent.

Feb 21 06 01:26 am Link

Photographer

R Mayes Photography

Orange, California, US

To get your hair a true black, you will have to use a permanent dye and that will not come out. If you want 'darker' hair then a temporary rinse will work, look for Fanciful Rinse's by Roux, put them on wet hair, don't rinse out, it will darken your hair. The semi permanent products that are spoken about above are hit or miss. sometimes they work great and sometimes they don't. These products are also hit or miss on the 'wash out' department, just remember, the better it works to color your hair, the harder it is to get out.

I'd dare say, once you color your hair with any type of color (other than a temporary color) it will NOT go back to what it was before you colored it.

Feb 21 06 01:30 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

MavenX wrote:
To get your hair a true black, you will have to use a permanent dye and that will not come out. If you want 'darker' hair then a temporary rinse will work, look for Fanciful Rinse's by Roux, put them on wet hair, don't rinse out, it will darken your hair. The semi permanent products that are spoken about above are hit or miss. sometimes they work great and sometimes they don't. These products are also hit or miss on the 'wash out' department, just remember, the better it works to color your hair, the harder it is to get out.

I'd dare say, once you color your hair with any type of color (other than a temporary color) it will NOT go back to what it was before you colored it.

I like the color of my hair now because it is kind of naturally streaked.  I frequently get complements from total strangers.  I have never done anything to it so it's always been low maintenance.  My concern is that if I start coloring it, then it will end up becoming a project.  Is it common for models to agree to temporarily color their hair for photoshoots?

Feb 21 06 02:05 am Link

Model

Sari

Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

well, I colour with wash out colour if it matches the shoot, but it just happens once in a while.

I agree that such a intense colour like black can look horrible as a wash out (I once checked it and at the end of the day my hair was rather greenish), but something like red or brown usually turns out good if your own haircolour isn´t too dark.

I made horrible experiences with permanent colour cause I needed years to have it all grow out and get healthy hair again.

Feb 21 06 04:08 am Link

Model

Sari

oooops... I posted twice ;-)

Feb 21 06 04:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

Nadine Make-up Artist

MavenX wrote:

She is right. Especially really dark colors (they have red pigments in them) will be very hard to get out of your hair again just by washing it. Also how light is your hair right now? Any kind of dye sticks to damaged hair and even the ones that are supposed to wash out after a few days can end up staying like a regular permanent dye. I would recommend that you get it done by someone who knows what he does, like in a salon. If you have naturally streaked hair, from the sun etc., the dye will look different on those parts and may become greenish. One extreme example would be the boyfriend of my best friend. He didn't want to wait until I have time to do his hair and bought black wash out hair dye for his blonde hair, he is now blue!!

Feb 21 06 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Reticence Photography

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

You can get those demi-permanent washes, but there is no gurantee that it will come out of your hair the way they say it will. I work for a salon, and we get at least a handful of people every month that tried doing what you're talking about. They then spend over $200 getting a color correction that may never get back to the color you originally had. Black is impossible to get out of your hair without bleaching, which is essentially what fries your hair.

Unless this shoot is paying you enough money for it to be worth it, buy a wig.

Feb 21 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Reticence Photography

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

You can get those demi-permanent washes, but there is no gurantee that it will come out of your hair the way they say it will. I work for a salon, and we get at least a handful of people every month that tried doing what you're talking about. They then spend over $200 getting a color correction that may never get back to the color you originally had. Black is impossible to get out of your hair without bleaching, which is essentially what fries your hair.

Feb 21 06 09:12 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Reticence Photography wrote:

A wig is starting to sound like a much better idea.  The Goth type shoot is not paying anything - just TFP.  I was told by the photog that it would be easy to do and washes out immediately.  Obviously not entirely true.

Feb 21 06 10:14 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Los Angeles, California, US

Yes. Get a wig. Don't hurt your pretty hair... or even get started with dying your hair. Good Luck!

Feb 21 06 02:41 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Olivier

Jay Dezelic wrote:

A wig is starting to sound like a much better idea.  The Goth type shoot is not paying anything - just TFP.  I was told by the photog that it would be easy to do and washes out immediately.  Obviously not entirely true.

The damage will not be done by the color but with the product used to remove it out of your hair ( bleach or color removers). The semi permanent colors if you hair is porous will not come out and will stain your hair permanently. For a TFP shoot i would go with a wig for sure specially with the lenght of your hair ( unless you plan on cutting after ). You will never get back to your natural color if you use any kind of haircolor ( rinses,demi, semi or permanent), and might go thrue green hues as it washes out as well.
I make good money fixing peoples that use thoses store products smile

Feb 21 06 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Yep.  It does.  But only what's there already.  So whatever grows out afterwards should be ok.

Feb 21 06 05:25 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I am sure glad I asked the question.  I like my hair the way it is, so all this advice saved me some greif.  Thanks all!  ** Goes to Google and types "Goth Wigs" **

Feb 21 06 05:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

get a wig !!!!!
never dye your hair with a drug store BLACK it will stain your hair especially if you havent really dyed it before. Black is worse than shaving your head, witch you might have to after using a black drug store brand.
If they want you to have balck hair get a wig or get some balck hair spray, like the kind you find at halloween but be ware you can still dammage your hair with temp sprays, i have seen peoples hair go green or blue from black sprays. hope that helps smile Mandy of Deadly Design Makeup Artistry

Feb 21 06 08:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

check out his&herhair.com for good deal and fast delivery on wigs

Feb 21 06 08:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I didn't take the time to read the other replies, so sorry if I'm reiterating what's already been said.  But come on... if you think that adding chemicals to your hair will not hurt it... you're nuts.  The process of stripping the color is even worse.  But if the money is worth it, then go for it.

Also, keep in mind that true black hair dye looks like ink on film.  It does not look like a natural hair color and usually does not read well.  But, I'm unsure of what medium this shoot is for.  Also, if it's a long term part... then I say go for the dye.  Wigs, unless they are lace front wigs that run many of hundreds to thousands to rent, look fake.  And upwards of $3000 for the production to buy if it's custom made for your head.

But this issue is something that you or your agent should take up with the make-up artist and production on the job that you've been hired for.

Feb 22 06 12:31 am Link

Hair Stylist

Luis Rafael

New York, New York, US

Please dont do it!!!  Hair color doesnt really damage the hair if done properly, but black never, ever rinses out of the  hair.  Even if the box says that its semipermanent.  You should get a wig instead.

Mar 12 06 12:39 am Link

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

A wig is a good idea...

If you're still toying with the idea of dye, Loreal makes a color mouse called "Pulse" and they have a black shade, electric black I believe its called.  It washes out in about two weeks.  Their red shade was the first dye I ever used; it was easy to use and did wash out.  I'd definitely be careful with black though, as the others warned.

Mar 14 06 09:23 pm Link

Model

LuzJuliana

Grand Prairie, Texas, US

MavenX wrote:

I died my hair blackest black out of the spur of the moment and loved it but now I want another color and my stylist said its almost impossible to re dye my hair without causing damage. sad

Mar 14 06 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

If you decide to color your hair...go to a pro...do not do it yourself, that is what ruins your hair.  I have been having my hair colored for 6+ years, I'm 45 and my hair would be snow white if I didn't.  I go every 30 days to a salon.  My hair is as healthy as ever, it is not coarse, it has not thinned, there has been no damage done to it since I started.  The problem is people think they can do it at home and use the same product that salons use.  It can't be done, it needs to be done by someone that knows what they're doing.  Also, if you do color it (or dye), do not use color removers, let the color grow out on it's own.  Coloring your hair is fine, just make sure a pro does it.

Mar 14 06 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

MavenX wrote:

Where do you get your info?  If you think about that comment you will see how impossible it is for it to be true.  The colored part of your hair will eventually grow out.  Hair is a living growing thing.  What is colored is what can be seen, that's why people that color their hair end up wih roots.  If you color your hair, then stop, your hair will continue to grow and the color will grow out, eventually leaving you with your original hair color.

Mar 14 06 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

Luzana wrote:

I died my hair blackest black out of the spur of the moment and loved it but now I want another color and my stylist said its almost impossible to re dye my hair without causing damage. sad

How long has it been since your last color?  As long as you use a good quality shampoo and conditioner, you can re-color without damage after a couple weeks.

Mar 14 06 09:46 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

BasementStudios wrote:
If you decide to color your hair...go to a pro...do not do it yourself, that is what ruins your hair.  I have been having my hair colored for 6+ years, I'm 45 and my hair would be snow white if I didn't.  I go every 30 days to a salon.  My hair is as healthy as ever, it is not coarse, it has not thinned, there has been no damage done to it since I started.  The problem is people think they can do it at home and use the same product that salons use.  It can't be done, it needs to be done by someone that knows what they're doing.  Also, if you do color it (or dye), do not use color removers, let the color grow out on it's own.  Coloring your hair is fine, just make sure a pro does it.

Don't belive the propaganda.  Hair dye isn't rocket science.  It's damaging no matter who does it.  If you keep your hair well conditioned and short, the damage won't show. 

I've been dying my hair myself (or having friends do it) with pro stuff for 12 years.  It wasn't until I got cocky and quadruple processed I had any trouble.  Don't bleach the same hair 4 times.  Just don't.

And in order for the girl above to dye her hair another color, she'd need to strip it. That's why it's not possible without serious damage. A lot of people's hair can't withstand that amount of stripping.

Mar 14 06 09:59 pm Link

Model

LuzJuliana

Grand Prairie, Texas, US

BasementStudios wrote:

How long has it been since your last color?  As long as you use a good quality shampoo and conditioner, you can re-color without damage after a couple weeks.

I just dyed it the day before Valentines nd its as black as day 1. I use Pantene Pro V shampoo and conditioner.

Mar 14 06 10:08 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Olivier

theda wrote:

Don't belive the propaganda.  Hair dye isn't rocket science.  It's damaging no matter who does it.  If you keep your hair well conditioned and short, the damage won't show. 

I've been dying my hair myself (or having friends do it) with pro stuff for 12 years.  It wasn't until I got cocky and quadruple processed I had any trouble.  Don't bleach the same hair 4 times.  Just don't.

And in order for the girl above to dye her hair another color, she'd need to strip it. That's why it's not possible without serious damage. A lot of people's hair can't withstand that amount of stripping.

Not rocket science but any one even out of school could told you that bleaching your hair 4 times is not something to do . So you just made a great point , a pro would never done this smile And stripping is usually done by a dancer around a pole not hair term. It must be something about understanding color pigments in hair or we would not be correcting colors all day in salons done by people who think just like that ;-) But again what do i know , i only do hair for a living smile

Mar 14 06 10:14 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Olivier wrote:
Not rocket science but any one even out of school could told you that bleaching your hair 4 times is not something to do . So you just made a great point , a pro would never done this smile And stripping is usually done by a dancer around a pole not hair term. It must be something about understanding color pigments in hair or we would not be correcting colors all day in salons done by people who think just like that ;-) But again what do i know , i only do hair for a living smile

Hey, it was fine the first three times. I've actually seen pros do much, much worse.  It was four times was over a period of several months, but I needed to trim off the old ends in between and I didn't that time.  It's the only time I ever screwed up my own hair, whereas the "pros" have thrown up their hands and told me to do my own color because they couldn't figure out why their dyes wouldn't take.

And of course stripping is something you do with a pole. All these people are liars: http://www.google.com/search?hs=SMj&hl= … tnG=Search

You may do it for a living, but I do know how to color my hair, thanks.

Mar 15 06 12:08 am Link

Model

Hayley KC

Buffalo, Illinois, US

I dye my hair sooo much, but I deep condition it like 3 times a week and I wash the roots every 2-3 days (my hair isn't very oily) and wash the whole hair 1 a wk or wk 1/2 + conditioner.  I use feria with the hint of red in it, nothing sticks to my hair not even on the non processed part of my hair.  I dyed my hair black for when I went to Mexico to blend in to immerse myself in the culture when I went to school there and no one knew I was an American, woohoo.  But yeah you can use rinses.

Mar 15 06 12:12 am Link

Hair Stylist

Emily Chen

Rochester, New York, US

BasementStudios wrote:

I don't know where you get your information b/c as far as i know you are not a professional cosmetologist. rule of thimb is COLOR DOES NOT LIFT COLOR. therefore if she colors her hair black, she can never recolor the that portion of the hair any lighter than it already is unless bleach is used which will damage the hair. it doesn'r matter how many times she shampoos it. she can shampoo it every day for a year and still not be able to put hair color over the previosly colored (the black portion) portion of her hair and have it come out right.

Mar 15 06 12:55 am Link

Hair Stylist

Emily Chen

Rochester, New York, US

theda wrote:

It doesn't matter if you are using proffesional products or not (you can still use proffesional product to damage your hair if done improperly) what matters is how it is custom formulated by the stylist and how it is applied. please don't say "oh i tried the 'proffessional stuff' and it still damaged my hair" I am a proffessional stylist and my clients have beautiful healthy long colored hair because i use proffessional products and i use them CORRECTLY. for example, you can purchase "proffessional" tools that "real live" doctors use (like scalples and such), but if you are untrained to use them it doesn't matter how "proffesional" the tools are, you probably won't find much success in doing your own surgery.

Mar 15 06 01:03 am Link

Hair Stylist

Emily Chen

Rochester, New York, US

Olivier wrote:

THANK YOU!

Mar 15 06 01:04 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

Olivier wrote:

it would be wise for you guys to heed the advice of professionals like olivier. you wouldnt want to be one of those tragic cases of a chemical cut or chemical bangs. If you are a model your look is your product that you are selling- and only a professional will know how to "handle with care" a person like that.

we stylists are not here to throw advice to empty ears.

Mar 15 06 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

theda wrote:

I don't speak from so called propoganda, experience, with my own hair and my wife having her hair colored for 15+ years.  To re-color hair it does not have to be stripped, try a stylist with real experience, you'll see.  Two years ago my wife tried a brassier red, she didn't like it, looked bad.  A month later she went back and had it re-colored.  Her hair is long and just as soft and silky as it was the day we met, 20 years ago.  When it is done correctly, by a professional that knows what they're doing, using a quality professional product, it will not damage your hair.  You don't want to believe it, that's up to you, but I know from experience.

Mar 15 06 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

Emily Chen wrote:
I don't know where you get your information b/c as far as i know you are not a professional cosmetologist. rule of thimb is COLOR DOES NOT LIFT COLOR. therefore if she colors her hair black, she can never recolor the that portion of the hair any lighter than it already is unless bleach is used which will damage the hair. it doesn'r matter how many times she shampoos it. she can shampoo it every day for a year and still not be able to put hair color over the previosly colored (the black portion) portion of her hair and have it come out right.

I get my information from life.....my own hair...my wife's hair....and the wonderful stylist that has been doing our hair for years, try reading the thread, you would've known that.

Mar 15 06 06:43 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Basement: the girl already said she had dyed her hair black. You CANNOT go from a darker color to a lighter color without stripping it.  Again, not rocket science.  It's basic color theory. Goiing from a lighter red to a darker red is a very different color issue.  I have real experience and so do the color specialists in this thread who told you you were wrong. 

Emily Chen: The only time I damaged my hair is when I got cocky and over-processed. It could have been a home bleaching kit or or pro tools. Overdoing it is overdoing it. Even so, every chemical process no matter who does it will cause some damage.  The idea is to minimize that damage while still achieving the desired effect. Other than that one instance of over bleaching, the damage done to my hair by 12+ years of coloring has unnoticable.

Mar 15 06 11:22 pm Link