Forums > General Industry > Brown Nosing should be outlawed!!!

Photographer

W I L L I A M A N U E L

Emeryville, California, US

Okay I’m not trying to turn this into some RANT! But damn! I have been coming across a few models, going from photographers to the next and make-up artist alike; seriously kissing up just for a TFP collaboration.

What’s upsetting…is. It’s so blatant that it’s almost offending. Come on! Just get your question out and ask rather than kiss my azz with compliments. I never like the brown nosing type any way.

Give me honest opinions, good or bad but don’t feed me compliments to get me to work with you. Has this happen to anyone else? I see it with other photographers with TAGS and PICTURE COMMENTS…come on, I can’t be the only one.

Feb 21 06 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

i M a g e ye wrote:
come on, I can’t be the only one.

*tumbleweed rolling by*

Feb 21 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_D

Florence, South Carolina, US

Uhm.... I could use some compliments/comments.... I don't mind brown-nosing so much, just send them my way!  :-)

Feb 21 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

W I L L I A M A N U E L

C R Photography wrote:

*tumbleweed rolling by*

I stand correct, maybe someone can stand alittle:-)

Feb 21 06 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

i M a g e ye wrote:
Okay I’m not trying to turn this into some RANT! But damn! I have been coming across a few models, going from photographers to the next and make-up artist alike; seriously kissing up just for a TFP collaboration.

What’s upsetting…is. It’s so blatant that it’s almost offending. Come on! Just get your question out and ask rather than kiss my azz with compliments. I never like the brown nosing type any way.

Give me honest opinions, good or bad but don’t feed me compliments to get me to work with you. Has this happen to anyone else? I see it with other photographers with TAGS and PICTURE COMMENTS…come on, I can’t be the only one.

The map is not the territory.

Feb 21 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Is the act of brown-nosing more irritating than the fact that it works on some people?

Feb 21 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Flattery will get you everywhere.

Feb 21 06 01:04 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Lee Dowse wrote:
Uhm.... I could use some compliments/comments.... I don't mind brown-nosing so much, just send them my way!  :-)

Lee BABY!!  Howyadoin??  Lookherebabe. . .walk with me talk with me time is money honey bunny and you have got IT!  IT, the thing zip zaz zing, like BOOM baby!  So tell me. . .how can I be down with YOU?

How's that??

Feb 21 06 01:08 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

i M a g e ye wrote:

I totally agree with everything you say... ;D

Ok, sarcasm aside, it does get a bit annoying to see models who do this. What I am wondering, though, is why can't the photographers do this (hint hint...lol)? If I like a photographer's work, though, I will tell them. If I want to work with them, I will tell them. Sometimes, I like a photographer's work, but know that I am not what they are looking for as a subject, so I leave well enough alone.

Giving compliments are one thing...sucking up and looking like a complete fool is another. I do agree.

Feb 21 06 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Lee-Bonaventure

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, US

An old business rule: 
If you subsidize something, you get more of it.
If you tax it, you'll get less.
If you criticize an action, you get less.
If you praise, you'll get more.

As an earlier poster said, flattery will get you everywhere.

Feb 21 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_D

Florence, South Carolina, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
Lee BABY!!  Howyadoin??  Lookherebabe. . .walk with me talk with me time is money honey bunny and you have got IT!  IT, the thing zip zaz zing, like BOOM baby!  So tell me. . .how can I be down with YOU?

How's that??

Nice start!  :-)

Feb 21 06 01:17 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Lee Dowse wrote:
Nice start!  :-)

Hey.  I do what I can.

Feb 21 06 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

LOL!  You think models are doing a lot of ass-kissing?

I'd be willing to bet that models get more sunshine blown up their butts in a day than a photographer can expect to see in a year.   And I suspect it has doesn't always have much to do with photographing them.

-Dave

Feb 21 06 01:22 pm Link

Model

Brown Eyes

London, Arkansas, US

i M a g e ye wrote:

Me neither..i know quite a lot of girls like this... however they do seem to get the furthest on very little.

Feb 21 06 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

How's that??

That was great, Jane!

I recall a movie scene in which a city slicker is out in the country, sweet-talking a waitress.  She looks at him, then finally says, "Honey, I don't believe a word you're saying, but I sure do like the way you say it."

I say, just enjoy the brown-nosing, without taking it to heart.

Feb 21 06 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I enjoy flattery and lies and am much more likely to work with a model who says I'm the best photographer in all the whole wide world.  Actually...they all say that...

-Don

Feb 21 06 02:49 pm Link

Model

Brown Eyes

London, Arkansas, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
I enjoy flattery and lies and am much more likely to work with a model who says I'm the best photographer in all the whole wide world.  Actually...they all say that...

-Don

Lol^...well there you go..

Feb 21 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Eddy Torigoe

Boston, Massachusetts, US

it's not just models. i've seen some photographers kissing some serious butt when they leave tags.

Feb 21 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

i M a g e ye wrote:

Ass kissing should be done in private.

i M a g e ye wrote:

I think I know what you mean by "offending". When you come across a model who wants to work with you, she writes, "Will! Your work is off the hook. Let's shoot!". Then, after the shoot and when the thrill is gone, she's onto her next photographer the tag she leaves for him is, "OMFG! Your work is TOTALLY off the hook! I DEFINITELY wanna shoot with you".

Lol. Damn. Why does this remind me of high school? Oh! Because a lot of them ARE in high school, or first year of college. Duhhhh.

i M a g e ye wrote:

Here's my take Will. If the models in question already shot with you and now you see them brown-nosing another photographer for TFP? Don't take it personal. It's part of the game. Remember. It's TFP. For some people, not all, it means being Tactless For Prints.

Feb 21 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I too would appreciate some brown nosing sometimes...

Oh well...guess my work isn't glammy enough to deserve brown nosing..

Feb 21 06 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

hmmmmm...I haven't gotten much brownnosing, but I don't mind. I don't want to shoot with people who aren't direct anyway. Besides, I find my models close to me. Some from mm, some not.

Feb 21 06 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

The so-called "real world" is no better - at least here in cyber space you don't actually have to physically do the "hug-hug, kiss-kiss" Hollywood hello ritual.  Its all they all have known each other forever and its all just simple brown nosing, kissing ass and counting coup. 

On that note, I leave you with this:

"Kiss, kiss and ciao!  LOVED your latest work! Let's do lunch! Have your people call my people and we'll make a project!  Is that new? You look fabulous in it!"

Feb 21 06 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Dreams To Keep wrote:
"Kiss, kiss and ciao!  LOVED your latest work! Let's do lunch! Have your people call my people and we'll make a project!  Is that new? You look fabulous in it!"

Oh isn't it FAB darling?  I found it at [name drop] when I was shopping there with [name drop] we were just coming back from lunch with [name drop]...he was just so tan after his trip to [location drop] for a shoot with [name drop].  My wife and I plan on going there for vay-kay with [name drop]...we found rooms at the ubber chic Hotel [name drop] for only $[ridiculously over priced amount].  We must do lunch before I hop the pond next week darling!

Feb 21 06 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

Dave Krueger wrote:
LOL!  You think models are doing a lot of ass-kissing?

I'd be willing to bet that models get more sunshine blown up their butts in a day than a photographer can expect to see in a year.   And I suspect it has doesn't always have much to do with photographing them.

-Dave

And here my Dad always told me to blow in a woman's ear to get her attention.  Guess I misheard.  Just rhymes with ear...

Feb 21 06 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

W I L L I A M A N U E L

William Coleman wrote:

That was great, Jane!

I recall a movie scene in which a city slicker is out in the country, sweet-talking a waitress.  She looks at him, then finally says, "Honey, I don't believe a word you're saying, but I sure do like the way you say it."

I say, just enjoy the brown-nosing, without taking it to heart.

This is very funny...what can i really say after this? LOL!!!

Feb 21 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

W I L L I A M A N U E L

Wild Horse Photography wrote:

i M a g e ye wrote:

Ass kissing should be done in private.

i M a g e ye wrote:

I think I know what you mean by "offending". When you come across a model who wants to work with you, she writes, "Will! Your work is off the hook. Let's shoot!". Then, after the shoot and when the thrill is gone, she's onto her next photographer the tag she leaves for him is, "OMFG! Your work is TOTALLY off the hook! I DEFINITELY wanna shoot with you".

Lol. Damn. Why does this remind me of high school? Oh! Because a lot of them ARE in high school, or first year of college. Duhhhh.

Here's my take Will. If the models in question already shot with you and now you see them brown-nosing another photographer for TFP? Don't take it personal. It's part of the game. Remember. It's TFP. For some people, not all, it means being Tactless For Prints.

It's not that I don't enjoy it from time to time but please don't pimp my intelligence’s...I’m just waiting for the real question. I guess what I’m trying to say is, don’t kiss my azz because you want something from me just simply kiss my azz :-)

Feb 21 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I don't blame girls for telling me I'm the best, because I know I am. *flexes*

Gah seriously who the hell cares?

Feb 21 06 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

W I L L I A M A N U E L

...And then this...Geesh!

Feb 21 06 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

SKPhoto wrote:
And here my Dad always told me to blow in a woman's ear to get her attention.  Guess I misheard.  Just rhymes with ear...

That was called seduction.  This is brown nosing.  smile

-Dave

Feb 21 06 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

W I L L I A M A N U E L

aguynamededdy wrote:
it's not just models. i've seen some photographers kissing some serious butt when they leave tags.

....and damn! It’s gotta end. (Waving a grand-pa fist in the air)

Feb 21 06 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

W I L L I A M A N U E L

James Jackson wrote:

Oh isn't it FAB darling?  I found it at [name drop] when I was shopping there with [name drop] we were just coming back from lunch with [name drop]...he was just so tan after his trip to [location drop] for a shoot with [name drop].  My wife and I plan on going there for vay-kay with [name drop]...we found rooms at the ubber chic Hotel [name drop] for only $[ridiculously over priced amount].  We must do lunch before I hop the pond next week darling!

Wow! felt like a scene from "The Birdcage"...though very funny LOL!!!

Feb 21 06 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

There is a fine line from kissing some butt check to the terrible technique of sticking your nose up someone butt.

Ass kissing,  ass sniffing,  hmmmmm,  good stuff.

Poop on the face.   Not good.

Feb 21 06 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Damn, I always thought they meant it!

Paul

Feb 21 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

Plenty of ass kissing on MM....still you have to laugh at some of these fools smile

Feb 21 06 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

W I L L I A M A N U E L

( ANT ) Mgaphoto wrote:
Plenty of ass kissing on MM....still you have to laugh at some of these fools smile

LMAO!!!!

Feb 23 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Worse than ass kissing is begging for compliments. 

"OMG, I'm such a bad photographer..."
(peanut gallery)  No, you rock
"No I don't"
(peanut gallery) No really, I can't wait to work with you, have your babies, etc etc
"Okay, thanks.  I guess I'm okay until next week when I'll beg for attention again."

or

"OMG my ass is so fat (or insert-- I'm so ugly, my skin sucks, my hair sucks, my tits suck, I suck, suck me."
(peanut gallery)--No you are the most beautiful woman in the world, I can't wait to work with you, have your babies, etc etc

Really, what good is a compliment if you have to buy it?

Feb 23 06 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
Worse than ass kissing is begging for compliments. 

"OMG, I'm such a bad photographer..."
(peanut gallery)  No, you rock
"No I don't"
(peanut gallery) No really, I can't wait to work with you, have your babies, etc etc
"Okay, thanks.  I guess I'm okay until next week when I'll beg for attention again."

or

"OMG my ass is so fat (or insert-- I'm so ugly, my skin sucks, my hair sucks, my tits suck, I suck, suck me."
(peanut gallery)--No you are the most beautiful woman in the world, I can't wait to work with you, have your babies, etc etc

Really, what good is a compliment if you have to buy it?

How much are they?  I might want a couple.

Feb 23 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

William Coleman wrote:

How much are they?  I might want a couple.

I do offer a comprehesive compliment package, complete with testimonials from at least 4 other people as well as a glowing assesment of both your professional skills and conduct as a senstive human being.

Feb 23 06 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

I do offer a comprehesive compliment package, complete with testimonials from at least 4 other people as well as a glowing assesment of both your professional skills and conduct as a senstive human being.

Thanks.  I'm still shopping around but that's a nice package.  I'll get back to you ASAP.

Feb 23 06 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

William Coleman wrote:

Thanks.  I'm still shopping around but that's a nice package.  I'll get back to you ASAP.

Buy it within 24 hours get bonus mini-compliment package of 4 tags on photos as well as your name being brought up in a positive way on 8 other message boards.

Payment may be broken up into 3 easy to pay installments.

Feb 23 06 06:37 pm Link