Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > I have a new hobby...

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I'm growing my own herbs. No, not those kinda herbs. The kind you put in food. Now I just gotta figure out what part of the plant you're supposed to eat. Wish me luck! I bought my first plants tonight: Oregano, Sage, Rosemary, and Basil. Any tips from the farmers out there?

Feb 21 06 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo

Simi Valley, California, US

Follow directions as far as watering and sunlight. Check out food.com or other websites to see what part of the herb you can use. Its usually the whole shoot/leaf that gets used.

Also you'll notice they're much stronger than the herbs you get from the grocery store, so be liberal in their use when cooking so you dont over season.

Feb 22 06 02:12 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

ask the government for a subsidy...get buttloads of cash and dont grow a damn thing.

Feb 22 06 07:11 am Link

Photographer

jac3950

Freedom, New Hampshire, US

I've been growing herbs now for several years. One tip you'll need is to be sure and clip off flowers/flower buds as they appear. That puts the growth into the stems and leaves where they belong. In Maine, where winter arrives early and stays long, I harvest the bulk of the growth in September or October. You can air dry them, use a home fruit and veggie dryer, or lie them out flat on paper toweling and stick them in the microwave... 1 minute at a time; be sure and check them.

Feb 22 06 07:18 am Link

Photographer

J Haig

Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

Check out gardenweb.com - there are dozens of forums on there, and some very experienced and helpful people.  (don't laugh...the gardening set is different from this crowd - except maybe the orchid people. )

Feb 22 06 07:26 am Link

Photographer

jac3950

Vita Brevis wrote:
Check out gardenweb.com - there are dozens of forums on there, and some very experienced and helpful people.  (don't laugh...the gardening set is different from this crowd - except maybe the orchid people. )

So true, although I hate it when some of the perennials turn out to be no-shows.

Feb 22 06 07:30 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

jac3950 wrote:

So true, although I hate it when some of the perennials turn out to be no-shows.

oh no...not a flower no show thread!!!

Feb 22 06 07:33 am Link

Photographer

jac3950

BCG wrote:

well, we could discuss weeds that believe they are flowers

Feb 22 06 07:37 am Link

Photographer

J Haig

Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

BCG wrote:

Yes, 'fraid so.  The flakey bitches don't even call? Can you believe it? And after I put out all that money in mulch and soil ammendments?

Feb 22 06 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Thanks everyone for your tips. I'm reading up on it now! My spaghetti sauce is gonna be gooooood! Who wants dinner?

Feb 23 06 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Update: This is by far the coolest new hobby I have come up with. Funny though. One basil plant (from a nursery) died right away, the other basil plant (from Home Depot) is thriving. Everything else is thriving as well. Only problem.. They're not keeping up with my appetite.

I made pork chops last night with freshly picked sage and rosemary. Tonight, I used a little of this, and a little of that in my pasta sauce. Freshly picked and diced. The sauce kicks ass. The pasta though, is another story. See:

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=35138

Mar 12 06 08:57 pm Link