Forums > General Industry > The World's First Supermodel?

Model

Chu

KoolGirlieStuff wrote:
Suzy Parker was, is and always will be the world`s FIRST Supermodel

https://members.fortunecity.com/johnrobinson10/scansp/parkers/ParkerSuzy02.jpg

oHHH BTW she was Dorian Leigh`s YOUNGER sister

I didn't know they were sisters, but I did know that Dorian had introduced Suzy to Eileen  Ford of the infamous Ford Models.  I thought they were just really close friends-cool.

Feb 22 06 09:34 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Chu wrote:
First, I have better things to do than to take something said on the internet personally.  I was simply correcting an ill stated misunderstanding-so as for the thin-skinned comment it has nothing to do with the fact YOU were off topic and YOU obviously have no idea of what you are talking about and 500 books couldn't correct it if you refuse to state facts rather than assumption. 

Additionally, had my skin not been of darker complexion would you have asked me the same question? 

I did not mention Josephine Baker because I don't consider her a model-she was a performance artist-mainly known for theatrical and singing performances-NOT modeling.  So how about you add that to your 300 book collection.  Just as although, Queen Latifah (since you insist that I include black women) is not considered a supermodel even though she is a face of covergirl and known internationally-not for her modeling, but her talent as an actress and musical artist. 

So back on subject, does anyone trace a model who has been more popular than Dorian Leigh of the 1940's?

Damn!!!  I do believe the chica knows her ish!! 

big_smile

I'm really enjoying this.

Feb 22 06 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

Pam Grier is MY first Super Model

Feb 22 06 09:37 pm Link

Model

Chu

Jayne Jones wrote:

big_smile

I know it is fun, right?  I have nothing better to do-haha.

Feb 22 06 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Chu wrote:
I didn't know they were sisters, but I did know that Dorian had introduced Suzy to Eileen  Ford of the infamous Ford Models.  I thought they were just really close friends-cool.

Ohhh yes, I WISH that they`d make a MOVIE about her (maybe that`s my call) but she was amazing and pretty much WAS the face of the ALL AMERICAN model in the early 50`s to the early 60`s here (she was the RC Cola Girl in amazing billboards)

https://www.billboardsofthepast.com/pictures/Soft_Drinks/RC_Cola/rc001.jpg

Her look and her style influenced millions of American women *including my own Mother* and she was also in the 1957 Audrey Hepburn movie "Funny Face" (quite perhaps the GREATEST modeling/photography fantasy movie ever made

She later gave up modeling and became a photographer (shades of Bunny Yeager) and sadly died almost all but forgotten in 2003

Feb 22 06 09:42 pm Link

Model

Chu

KoolGirlieStuff wrote:

Ohhh yes, I WISH that they`d make a MOVIE about her (maybe that`s my call) but she was amazing and pretty much WAS the face of the ALL AMERICAN model in the early 50`s to the early 60`s here (she was the RC Cola Girl in amazing bill boards)

https://www.billboardsofthepast.com/pictures/Soft_Drinks/RC_Cola/rc001.jpg

That's a really cool picture, I don't think I've seen that one before.  Maybe, I did and just always thought it was coca-cola, haha. 

I think the old models have something even better that to my knowledge all the editting wasn't in effect back then-I'm sure someone will correct that statement. 

However, regardless there wasn't photoshop and these girls simply had a gift for really showing the camera what they were working with.

Feb 22 06 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Chu wrote:

That's a really cool picture, I don't think I've seen that one before.  Maybe, I did and just always thought it was coca-cola, haha. 

I think the old models have something even better that to my knowledge all the editting wasn't in effect back then-I'm sure someone will correct that statement. 

However, regardless there wasn't photoshop and these girls simply had a gift for really showing the camera what they were working with.

Well.....back then it wasn`t called photoshop it was called RETOUCHING and was done by VERY WELL PAID artists of the field........but in Suzy`s case she was a natural and REAL FILM pulls that out of any beautiful woman, that`s why I still use REAL FILM smile

Feb 22 06 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

"Worlds first over-self-hyped bitch" is more like it.

Feb 22 06 09:52 pm Link

Model

Mistress Purgatori

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I love Janice,but I think GIA CARANGI was the world's first super-model.
they both are My 2 old time fav models.
too bad Gia died.
xxx
MP

Feb 22 06 09:53 pm Link

Model

Chu

Mistress Purgatori wrote:
I love Janice,but I think GIA CARANGI was the world's first super-model.
they both are My 2 old time fav models.
too bad Gia died.
xxx
MP

I know-only 26, if I'm not mistaken.

Feb 22 06 10:41 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Tony Culture Photoz wrote:
Pam Grier is MY first Super Model

Pam is the Bomb!!

Feb 23 06 04:37 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

big_smile

Chu wrote:
I know it is fun, right?  I have nothing better to do-haha.

I was off today.  Teehee.  wink

Feb 23 06 04:39 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

There is no sensible choice aside from Twiggy, there isn't even another candidate in reality. Dorian Leigh and Suzy Parker weren't even blips on the radar of the pop culture world. They were successful models, they may have been semi familiar faces, and they were known by insiders, by they weren't part of the "zeitgeist." Twiggy on the other hand, was a phenomenon, she was easily the first fashion model to be a household word, a topic of discussion at parties, joked about or talked about by famous comedians or talk show hosts, mentioned in movies and sitcoms, countless articles and columns about her etc. etc. She was completely on the scene, she practically defined "the swinging sixties." The fact is that in any full synopsis of the 60's Twiggy would be recognized as an indelible part of it, she was on the stage. But in any similar snapshot of the 40's or the 50's nobody would mention Leigh or Parker unless they were specifically focusing on fashion modeling, they were virtually unknown to the country and the world. And as far as Naomi Sims goes, even if there were a shred of credibility in calling her a supermodel she would have been after Twiggy by a couple of years.

Pin up or fetish models, actresses, singers and other performers are all different categories, different topics. Of course there were many big stars predating Twiggy, and many of them modeled in one sense or another to some degree or another, but they made their marks else wise, not as anything resembling what we know as a supermodel the way Twiggy was. And no way in hell was Janice ever a supermodel no matter what she says.

Feb 23 06 07:16 am Link

Model

Chu

I was watching a preview to the Tyra Show.  I'm not sure if it's a re-run or not, but Janice is supposed to be on there.  She said something to the effect that although she isn't a model anymore, she can still fit the clothes, while Tyra on the other hand can't.

I felt that was a highly disrespectful comment, although-I did not Tyra has gained a little but what does that make her a size 6 now?  Haha.  I wanted Tyra to make the come back statement and say at least my face still looks like a model.  Nothing against Janice but she looks like somebody's grandma who's smoked entirely too many cigarettes.

Additionally, I don't consider her a supermodel because many people didn't know who she was before ANTM.  Oh wait, they may have known her but it wasn't for modeling it was for being the type of woman you see on Maury-I think "Stallone's" the father-darn that DNA.

Feb 23 06 08:19 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Okay. . .it took a little work (about 10 whole seconds in Wikipedia). . .and reading (okay skimming really). . .but the "official" first "supermodel" is. . .*drumroll*

Lisa Fonssagrives
Credits:
200+ Vogue covers (holding the record to date)
Has been on the cover of every fashion mag in publication during the 30's 40's and 50's (Town and Country, Life, the "original" Vanity Fair. . .even Harper's Bazaar).

So. . .Janice D. . .not so much.  But hey!  We knew that!  big_smile

Feb 23 06 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Chu wrote:
I was wondering-is Janice Dickerson really the world's first supermodel-who's career didn't really kick off until the 80's? 

There have been other ladies long before she was even born who stood out in the industry-so my question is why has she been named the world's first supermodel?

What about beautiful Dorian Leigh who's name was the first model to earn a household name back in the 1940's?

Or Suzy Parker who followed Dorian after she was introduced to Eileen Ford, the owner of the successful Ford Modeling Agency in the 50's?

And Cheryl Tiegs (spelling?) of the 60's?

Even Gia Carangi of the 70's?

Four decades of women before her.

What do you all think of it?

she was the FIRST model to be coined "super model" thanks to the booker at her agency. the term was later used to refer to other high profile high priced models as well. but twiggy  verushka or danyle luna could have been called super models in the sixties the term just hadnt been invented yet.

Feb 24 06 01:03 am Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:

ok..so name some then wink i didn't know there were a slew of african american women as models in the 40s through 70s

well from the 60s any way you have danyle luna and barbera walden. from the 70s there was ivy"the bald sistah" naomi sims, pat cleveland, grace jones beverly johnson...

Feb 24 06 01:07 am Link

Model

Chu

I just watched Janice Dickinson on Tyra's show and she's kinda wild, huh?  I didn't see the entire show-but she definately has a crazy personality-haha.

Feb 24 06 06:54 am Link

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

I'll give some validation to Twiggy, put most of the rest named I've never heard of, and before ya'll all go into the not knowing the history blah blah. That's the point, I know nothing of the history of model, I very little about the current fashoin/model top people. But I know Betty Page, Marilyn Monroe, and I know Twiggy. Want to know who was the first super model ask someone that was alive in the fifties and not involved in the modeling industry. A Super model is a model so big people that dont care about fashion, photograpy, or modeling still know who she is.

This gets more meaningless with each page.

And for the race crap, stop going on about why there were no top black model in the 60's and just accept that there weren't. I dare any of you to name a single top Native model much less a Cajun, Choctaw, or Homua.

Martin IV, Cajun form the bayou's of Louisiana two hurricanes and im still here.

www.martincoatesiv.com

Feb 24 06 07:14 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

rouge - studio

Los Angeles, California, US

MartinCoatesIV wrote:
I'll give some validation to Twiggy, put most of the rest named I've never heard of, and before ya'll all go into the not knowing the history blah blah. That's the point, I know nothing of the history of model, I very little about the current fashoin/model top people. But I know Betty Page, Marilyn Monroe, and I know Twiggy. Want to know who was the first super model ask someone that was alive in the fifties and not involved in the modeling industry. A Super model is a model so big people that dont care about fashion, photograpy, or modeling still know who she is.

And for the race crap, stop going on about why there were no top black model in the 60's and just accept that there weren't. I dare any of you to name a single top Native model much less a Cajun, Choctaw, or Homua.

Martin IV, Cajun form the bayou's of Louisiana two hurricanes and im still here.

www.martincoatesiv.com

danyle luna was one of the most sought after models of the 60s and was of the black extraction. i accept nothing.

Feb 25 06 12:05 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

rouge - studio

Los Angeles, California, US

MartinCoatesIV wrote:

www.martincoatesiv.com

top native model  CARENA LOMBARD lakota indian adopted by european parents. stars in the movie wide sargasso sea.

Feb 25 06 12:09 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Dave the design student

Detroit, Michigan, US

Chu wrote:
I just watched Janice Dickinson on Tyra's show and she's kinda wild, huh?  I didn't see the entire show-but she definately has a crazy personality-haha.

I also watched the Tyra Show with Janice Dickinson, it's the first and last time I've seen her on television since her E! True Hollywood story...

Feb 25 06 01:19 am Link