Forums > General Industry > is it the eyes, the lips, or the face as a whole?

Model

TheRedHead

Orwell, Ohio, US

what do you notice first when you see a portrait?

Feb 22 06 06:30 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

The eyes; I feel like the eyes should be the main point of focus. Otherwise it's not very personal looking and I get bored easy looking at it.

Feb 22 06 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Usually the eyes, but on this model, it's the lips that make it for me.

Feb 22 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

the eyes... always the eyes... unless you're deliberately trying to shift the focus to another feature.

[edit]
sorry.. i didn't answer the OP's question.  my first response was really about what i think the portrait photographer should be focusing on.  as for what one notices first when looking at a portrait, it should depend on how the photographer shot the photo as to where your eye is drawn.

Feb 22 06 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

I would have to say maybe the eyes but could be the face also for the most part.

Mike

Feb 22 06 06:47 pm Link

Model

lindsaylee

Rhinebeck, New York, US

When I look at a photo, it used to be the whole face.

Ever since I started modeling, I keep hearing, your eyes!  your eyes!

Now I find myself looking at...the eyes!

smile

Feb 22 06 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

TheRedHead wrote:
what do you notice first when you see a portrait?

Skin texture.  But, that was back in the old days when models still had skin texture.  Not many of them left...

Feb 22 06 06:54 pm Link

Model

Ermalita Montesino

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Eyes...eyes ....eyes!!

Feb 22 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Its not the eyes, lips or face... its 'the total package'... by that I mean:

1.  Work Ethic... dependable, punctual, professional.
2.  Personality Traits... great sense of humor, easy going, congenial, fun loving, compatible with others.
3.  Appearance... good hygeine, nice complexion, attractive facial features, weight perportional to their height.

They ALL have eyes, lips and a face.  Its the level of success you attain while lighting them, posing them and applying makeup to them that will determine just how great of a job you did in bringing out the best in them... wink

Feb 22 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Silver Tip Images

Renton, Washington, US

The Eyes have it.  Good figure, hands , face all important but the eyes are what makes a great model not just a good model....A model who has learned how to use her eyes can change the mood of the picture by  using her eyes.  Jerry

Feb 22 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

Dave Krueger wrote:

Skin texture.  But, that was back in the old days when models still had skin texture.  Not many of them left...

LOL  isn't that the truth!!!

Feb 22 06 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Select Models wrote:
Its not the eyes, lips or face... its 'the total package'.

I do self portraits, but I leave my package out of it.

Select Models wrote:
1.  Work Ethic... dependable, punctual, professional.

The first thing you notice in a portrait is the person's work ethic?   Wow!  I'm impressed.  What if there's no "will work for food" sign in the shot?

That reminds me of those anthropologists on the Discovery channel who find a teeny tiny bone fragment and are able to determine not only how old he was and what he died from, but what the entire ancient city looked like. 

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  wink

Feb 22 06 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Lord-ent

St Catharines, Ontario, Canada

I will book a model for her eyes.  Is that the same as the portrait question?
I think when it comes to facial features, and conveying a message, the eyes can say it all.

Feb 22 06 07:25 pm Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

But of course.....the eyes.....

Feb 22 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Dave Krueger wrote:

Select Models wrote:
Its not the eyes, lips or face... its 'the total package'.

The first thing you notice in a portrait is the person's work ethic?   

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  wink

LOL... hey... that's OK Davester... the 'operative phrase' for me in the title was 'as a whole'... so I went with it... wink

Feb 22 06 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

LimbSys Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Nobody says the nose? Hmmm, trundling back to therapy I guess

Feb 22 06 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Balance of the face - the eyes are part of it but the really knock portraits that show most of the face get me when they show the proportions and balance of the model.  And then of course, jawline and cheekbones really set off the rest of the face as a frame.

Relative to the eyes only - there's one in my portfolio of Anna Lieb where she is wearing a hat that covers one eye and the composition of the curve of the hat and her eyes AND lips brings the viewer's attention in a circle so the image tends  to get looked at a couple of times the first time it is looked at.  But the eyes are what your eyes see first. 

(Which is the way we are supposed to greet others, eye contact. Hence the annoyance of large breasted ladies when they have to remind you where their eyes are and could you please look into their eyes whilst speaking to them!)

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/050722/16/42e162632b37c.jpg

Feb 23 06 03:02 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I think it depends on how a given model expresses him or herself, and how he or she is photographed.  Sure, the eyes are the obvious answer.  But there are portraits where you can't see a person's eyes, and the photograph doesn't necessarily lose all interest.  (My current avatar is an example.)  I'm going with whole package, because emotion is something that is subtly conveyed not just with the eyes, but with the entirety of the face.

Feb 23 06 03:31 pm Link

Model

saraya

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

eyes for sure

Feb 26 06 05:17 am Link