Forums > General Industry > What categories for images?

Wardrobe Stylist

EYElene Productions

REGO PARK, New York, US

Please forgive my ignorance but I am a bit confused as to how to list my images. What makes them commericial? What makes them editorial? I know the what's glamour & fashion but aren't they very much alike? 

Jun 22 05 05:33 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Glamour sells the model's beauty. Models usually pay for these shots. They don't have much money.

Fashion sells the clothing. It's a product shot with a person in it too. Companies pay for these shots. They have a lot of money.

Hence:

Fashion shooters make more than glamour shooters by the way.

Editorial is also lifestyle. It's a photo that can be used to illustrate a story.

Editorial usually pays little. It's more about getting a published credit so you can charge more for fashion or glamour work.

Jun 22 05 08:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

There are no "image category police." Mark them however you want...

Jun 22 05 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Reese: 
There are no "image category police." Mark them however you want...

There might not be any police but knowledge is power in this industry because the wrong answer could be the difference of getting the job or not when asked by those that need to know what it is you can do.

Posted by EYE-lene: 
Please forgive my ignorance but I am a bit confused as to how to list my images. What makes them commericial? What makes them editorial? I know the what's glamour & fashion but aren't they very much alike?   

It's actually a very good question and as a stylist, you really need to know because you can't just "bring clothes". You have to match the intended shoot.

Commerical for you would mean a professionally shot production. Commerical for a photographer could mean shot at the client level not necessarly for a client but in general, a commercial photographer shoots for clients or advertisement assigments.

Fashion as Xtreme says is about clothes but that's only a small portion of what fashion is all about. First off, it's more of an attitude and it includes the accessories that you are also responsible for. The client may not want any clothing used at all and only want accessories. It includes other things too but you don't do hair and mua, etc. Also, editorial has fashion in it as well. All fashion magazines have editorial sections that do not include articles to accompany the images. So these images can fall under either fashion or editioral or many of the other catogories depending on the shot.

As a stylist, you have to get an understanding of all the categories so you can be more proficient at your job. There's nothing worst then to have clothes show up that are for fahion when it should have been for catalogue, etc.

Hope this helps oh and by the way, glamour to me is more like portrait then anything else.

Jun 22 05 10:56 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

EYElene Productions

REGO PARK, New York, US

Thank you all very much. My questions have now been answered.

Jun 22 05 05:15 pm Link