Forums > General Industry > What this ignorant guy has learned

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Lighting is important, and I need to understand it more.

Technical knowledge is important, and I need to have more of it.

What you see is often not what you get.  That's where the first two points come in.

Check the settings before you shoot and watch for the details when you shoot.

Even without technical knowledge, understanding lighting, and screwing up on the camera, you can still get good shots if your vision and imagination are good.

The arguments of digital versus film are pretty much wasted oxygen.

(Stuff about the ways and pitfalls of models and photographers devolve to human nature. I haven't really learned anything new about people.)

If I get 10% very good results in the number that I shoot, it's a success, which is an amazingly low accomplishment rate to be a "success."  But I'll take that and work toward ever higher results.  Which segues to...

Never become complacent. Always strive to do better.... wait, I already knew that, too, but it's really true in photography.

Lastly, I have learned that I really do have fun and really do love this.  Unfortunately, there are some prevailing tones in these forums that tend to suck the fun out.  So it's best for me, in this continued love of photography, to go do the things that are rewarding.  I wish you all the best in your discussions, achievements in your endeavors, and great images for all.

https://justinonimus.com/lonely-road-sunrise.jpg
Strolling on.

Jun 22 05 08:56 am Link