Forums > General Industry > Exploiting Women

Photographer

D Fish

Springfield, Missouri, US

Its nice to get a email like this. Its worth a lot in my book!

I just looked through your port and wanted to say thank you for respecting women the way you do. I get really aggrivated with some photgraphers who consider themselves "artists" while exploiting women as if they were naked barbie dolls. It is a relief to see the work of a REAL man and genuine artist. Kudos to you!!

Feb 23 06 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

It IS nice to get an email like that.  Be warned of course that tomorrow you could receive an email taking the opposite view in that you do show nudity and many folks see that aspect alone as exploitive. 

Always keep the nice emails and trash the others - its best for your karma. ;-)

Feb 23 06 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

The thing is, even nice photographers are exploiting the models, clothed shots or not. They are using the models looks and/or body for their own personal gain. Wether it is money, or just for their portfolio, or to get into magazines,etc etc.
Most times even at the expense. Not many people think of that.

Feb 23 06 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

i shoot naked barbie dolls on occasion.  am i exploiting dolls or women?

Feb 23 06 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
The thing is, even nice photographers are exploiting the models, clothed shots or not. They are using the models looks and/or body for their own personal gain. Wether it is money, or just for their portfolio, or to get into magazines,etc etc.

Yes, but I'm exploited at my day job in exactly the same way.  I had this discussion with a model the other day, and with some militant believers in female-model-"specialness" before,  that exploitation of women in modeling is worse than that of men or women in any other line of work.  load of bs.

Feb 23 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

.......migrant workers are exploited.  nude women are just nude women.

Feb 23 06 03:21 pm Link

Model

Uzuri

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

huh...guess your right!

Feb 23 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

David Fish wrote:
It nice to get a email like this. Its worth a lot in my book!

How can she tell you're a real man just by your photos?

Feb 23 06 03:23 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

My favorite is when people tell me that by being an art model who often poses nude (for a very specific purpose, I might add), I am exploiting myself.  Good grief, Charlie Brown.

Feb 23 06 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jeremy Womack

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Well, the definition of exploit is "To take FULL advantage of, or to use (for arguement, models) for one's own advantage and WITHOUT regard for theirs"

I'm sure that there some, if not quite a few "mean" photographers out there exploiting models.  I would say that all are.  I didn't know the conversation was based on whether the photographer was nice or not.  If both parties are receiving SOMETHING for their time and expense, and they have both agree'd that it's a fair SOMETHING, then there isn't exploitation.

Feb 23 06 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

Hmmm.. I've never exploited/shot a naked barbie doll..
That's an idea .. smile

Feb 23 06 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Very true.  The second anything or anyone becomes a "model", it/they are (by definition) objectified.  Good point.

But by all means, we should keep the postive feedback we get on our work! :-)

Feb 23 06 05:08 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

David Fish wrote:
It nice to get a email like this. Its worth a lot in my book!

Well, I shot with David Fish...and he never exploited me! He also went to have dinner with his wife after our shoot rather than hit on me...lol. (another thread) So, I will vouch for the honesty of this.

Feb 23 06 05:08 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

ADG Photography wrote:

Very true.  The second anything or anyone becomes a "model", it/they are (by definition) objectified.  Good point.

But by all means, we should keep the postive feedback we get on our work! :-)

women are objectified long before they become models, some people (not all) objectify others everyday.

it is funny I did a nude workshop last night and then went out with the girls to a club we felt more objectified at the club then we did nude at the workshop.

Feb 23 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

If the model gets paid, who's exploiting whom?

Feb 23 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Chapa

Austin, Texas, US

exploiting a model's looks/body is a bad thing...

so is exploiting dave chappelle's humor...

and chris cornell's voice...

and shaq's height/weight/strength...

and kobayashi's appetite...

and pacino's acting...

Feb 23 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

David Klein

Brooklyn, New York, US

At least in some cases, the image of a woman, or even a man is used by someone to sell something. Be it a product, a sevice or a lifestyle.

We all exploit, if by exploitation you mean to use, employ, objectify or whatever...

Be pretty tough to sell fashion, cars, beer or whatever without some willing willowy female who is there to do just that... to use her looks in service of commerce, fantasy...

Define exploitation for me...

Feb 23 06 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I get those emails too.  Sometimes women write to me saying how much I "understand women."

Strange world, huh?

-Don

Feb 23 06 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Forget Me Not Photograp

Columbus, Ohio, US

I'd like to weigh in on this issue of "exploiting women". I do no work that degrades women, or the industry. However, it's a two way street. If models refused to pose in compromising poses, then there'd be no exploitation at all. Since our society has cheapened itself, I see no end in sight. I have contacted numerious models for TFCD work and got many responses. Once I guided the models to read my "code of conduct" that was the last I'd hear from them. So I question who is guilty in "exploiting women", photog's, the subject, or both?

Regards, Jim

Feb 23 06 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
I get those emails too.  Sometimes women write to me saying how much I "understand women."

Strange world, huh?

-Don

LOL, Don.  Are you saying you don't understand women?  That's a LARGE bunch of guys.

Feb 23 06 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Exploiting women?   

Are women just a bunch of brainless idiots who are constantly at the mercy of men who wantonly take advantage of their mental deficiency?  The ones I know certainly aren't.  I swear there is no place on earth where you hear that sentiment as much as on modeling forums.  Hell, that mentality is precisely how so-called model managers justify their existence: to protect all those poor vulnerable women from us evil guys.

Sorry guys, but I don't believe that for a minute.  I think women, even young ones, know one heck of a lot more about taking care of their best interests than most guys give them credit for.  For the most part, I think models and photographers both benefit from the transactions they have with each other.

I'm sure there are plenty of women (and men) who feel exploited by all kinds of things, but I just can't accept the characterization that they are so naive as to be routinely conned by photographers.   

-Dave

Feb 23 06 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Old Sexist Calypso Song:

Not me, but de people dey say, dat de men are a-leading de women astray
But I say, dat de women of today smarter dan de man in every way

Garden of Eden was very nice, Adam never work in paradise
Eve meet snake.  Paradise gone.  She make Adam work from dat day on.

Sampson was de strongest man, long ago
No one could defeat him as we all know
But he love Delilah and Delilah said
I'm going to cut all de hair off de top of his head

Not me, but de people dey say, dat de men are a-leading de women astray
But I say, dat de women of today smarter dan de man in ev -ry waaaaay!

Feb 23 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

David Fish wrote:
Its nice to get a email like this. Its worth a lot in my book!

I get really aggrivated with some photgraphers who consider themselves "artists" while exploiting women as if they were naked barbie dolls. It is a relief to see the work of a REAL man

One person's/viewers/models/photographer's opinion of art and beauty is another person's opinion of abysmal putrid trash. It runs the gamut.

"Objectifying women" is another PC expression that cracks me up, right next to "I have a passion for modeling"

I think what it all boils down to is people finding their own boundries, relative to themselves, and thinking about what they want to explore or how they want to present themselves at that particular point on their timeline of life.

It's ephemeral, and always in flux.

Chemistry and rapport make it a positive or negative experience.

De gustibus non disputatum est

Feb 24 06 12:04 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
-Don

Haha .. when I grow up, I want to be you ;-)

Feb 24 06 12:09 am Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

De gustibus non disputandum est.

Feb 24 06 12:15 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
.......migrant workers are exploited.  nude women are just nude women.

I gotta go with Amanda on this one

Feb 24 06 12:21 am Link