Forums > General Industry > A sincere Offer: Walk in a photographers shoes

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

I don't know if this is a good challenge..  Afterall a beautiful woman can bend people to her will much faster and much better than most guys can - not to mention they get along with gay dudes too...   Also women don't have the juvenile ego issues that we do - so they might be better at approaching people for help...  This is interesting though - keep us posted on this one - I wanna see how it goes...  I'm putting my money on the model organizing a successful shoot...

Feb 23 06 09:11 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

FabioTovar wrote:

well in this particular case everyone would be doing it tfcd. but it all depends.
if its your concept and you want it done then you gotta pay for it.
if the model comes to you and its her concept i would assume she flips for it.
etc.

lol..I just now remembered...I'm doing something along the lines of this project next month. However, it will be photographing a wedding for a friend of mine who wanted to get into modeling. We are doing this as a tfcd deal, but she is paying me for prints to be made. I will also have a contract stating that I can use images for my portfolio. I am not sure yet who she has doing her hair and makeup, though. She told me she is a bit clueless on makeup, and did ask me for tips. I may just end up doing that for her as well, or recommend a good professional mua for her.

Feb 23 06 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

The Art of CIP wrote:
I don't know if this is a good challenge..  Afterall a beautiful woman can bend people to her will much faster and much better than most guys can - not to mention they get along with gay dudes too...   Also women don't have the juvenile ego issues that we do - so they might be better at approaching people for help...  This is interesting though - keep us posted on this one - I wanna see how it goes...  I'm putting my money on the model organizing a successful shoot...

I'm sorry, did you say that women don't have the juvenile ego issues that men do?  Actually you are correct, they have full blown adult ego women issues.

Feb 23 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

markcomp wrote:

I'm sorry, did you say that women don't have the juvenile ego issues that men do?  Actually you are correct, they have full blown adult ego women issues.

Dude you'd be surprised how fast women can pull it together to prove a man wrong..  Trust me on this one... HAAA!

Feb 23 06 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

FabioTovar wrote:

well so far the only thing listed is wax or shave my privates. Consider it done.
what else?

I will get back to you. As someone who has modeled for three years, and made photographs for 15 years, I have a nice long list. It will take me some time.

But to start, lose 10 pounds and learn to walk in high heals. Pay attention to the way your hips move. Get a facial, a pedicure and a manicure. Decide if you want to be in fashion, commercial, or fetish and art photography. Nudes, no nudes, etc. Then go to VS and buy a LOT of lingerie. Go to all of the 2nd hand stores in town, make up outfits and costume ideas. Think about some things you would like to add as ideas when you talk to photographer. Go spend 1000 on MAC or other highly pigmented makeup. Learn how to use it if photographer decides NOT to go with MUA...Okay, will be back with more.

Feb 23 06 10:06 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

The Art of CIP wrote:

Dude you'd be surprised how fast women can pull it together to prove a man wrong..  Trust me on this one... HAAA!

But ONLY to prove someone wrong...lol! Nah, some of us don't have ego issues. Some of us know we can be a B!tch.

Feb 23 06 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

FabioTovar wrote:
so how long should I wait from someone to bite before canceling the offer?

Just send me your camera.

Feb 23 06 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

The Art of CIP wrote:

After 30 years of marriage I just assume I am wrong.

Feb 23 06 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Sharp

Paxton, Illinois, US

markcomp wrote:

After 30 years of marriage I just assume I am wrong.

The corollary being, a woman isn't always right, but she's *never* wrong...
big_smile

Feb 23 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Jim Sharp wrote:

The corollary being, a woman isn't always right, but she's *never* wrong...
big_smile

Story of my life.

Feb 23 06 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

FabioTovar wrote:
This is to any model who has always wondered what it is like to be a photographer. 

I am offering this opportunity to see what its like. One time offer only.

First I will state that to fully understand and fill those shoes I am offering my time and time only for free. I will not pay for anything lift one thing or schedule anyone. you will be in full control of everything. so whatever comes out of it will be 100% yours and you will be able to say... "I,xxx, was the photographer." I will merely guide you and assist when needed.

we will start out simple.

1 seek out a model (whom you do not know at all. I will help you chose one) preferably from MM
2 seek out a makeup artist and hair stylist (whom you do not know at all)
3 figure out what kind of shoot you want to do studio or location
4 figure out what look you want
5 do a location scout if its out doors rent a studio if its indoors
6 purchase everthing needed to start the shoot
7 assuming you dont own everthing needed you wil rent the lights, camera, computer, software, background, props etc. (i will help you chose everything)
8 schedule the model mua and stylist
9 the day of the shoot set up the lights and set
10 work with the mua and stylist to get the look you want
11 light the model
12 shoot
13 breakdown
14 take the images off the camera (shooting digital) and onto the computer
15 do retouching in photoshop
16 purchase cds to burn for everyone else to have
17 CD's deliver/mail/have picked up
18 finally post your images to a site for all to see.

come to think of it. I may make a documentary of this.
anyone who agrees will be working with everyone else on a tfcd basis
all out of pocket expense will be out of your pocket and cannot be shared by others.
If you were at all ever interested in walking in photographers shoes to see what its like this is the perfect opportunity.

Why am i doing this?  Cause I would like you to walk in my shoes.
and i would like to walk in yours.  Are there any others who would be willing to do this with me as a mua stylist or model? I will walk in your shoes under the same terms.

The requirement:
1 You must be a model with a portfolio and have had experience working with photographers.
2 be in the SF bay area. preferable near or in SF
3 agree that all expenses and responsibilities are yours and yours alone.
4 no one else can help you during this full immersion session. you are the photographer and you run this show.

Please email me if you are interested. If you are a MUA or stylist and would be interested in participating please let me know as well.

Sincerely
Fabio

Dude this is not an offer, It’s a slap in the face. If you don’t enjoy doing these things then get the hell out. There is always someone waiting to take your place. If you actually want to help someone then teach them, and tech them on your own time and your own equipment.

Feb 23 06 11:42 pm Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

FabioTovar wrote:

Is it me or do the last 2 post have NOTHING to do with the offer?
you obviously don't have to participate so stop YOUR ranting about everyone ranting on other posts. This is NOT a rant post. NOR is it going to be. 

This offer is open to any model who wants to learn.  maybe if you took it for what its worth you'd see its a great opportunity for someone who is willing to learn. Stop worrying about my career and future and worry about yours. That goes for any nay sayers here.  It's a sincere offer. and if you read this thread its been primarily all light hearted.  Lets keep it that way.

on another note. We've been discussing me doing everything a model does to be on the other side of the spectrum.  So far losing 30lbs and shaving my pubes is all people could come up with!  as I said.. i wont lose 30 but ill shave!
Id also like to film both sides. the model turned photographer and the photographer turned model... at least on my end some really funny stuff could happen.  Especially since half the posters want me to dress in drag.  alarming...but potentially funny.

Honey, if I wanted to learn, I would find an experienced professional. As a matter of fact, I've learned a great deal about photography from several respected, talented photographers. But I think it's cute how you get angry whenever someone posts something that doesn't jive with your expectations of the way a thread you started should go.

I'm not worried about your future, by the way. Not in the least. Sorry you interpreted it that way because it certainly was not what I meant to convey. Of course if one thinks everything is about them, I suppose that would be how you'd take it, hmm?

Feb 24 06 12:27 pm Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

JM Dean wrote:

Dude this is not an offer, It’s a slap in the face. If you don’t enjoy doing these things then get the hell out. There is always someone waiting to take your place. If you actually want to help someone then teach them, and tech them on your own time and your own equipment.

Thank you!

Feb 24 06 12:29 pm Link