Forums > General Industry > should new models ask to be paid for shoots

Photographer

picturemephotography

Muncie, Indiana, US

a couple of weeks ago a new model joined a "models website", she had a different look(style, pretty face).  the pix she posted she took of herself(litterally). you can tell she is holding the camera and taking the shots of herself.  all five shots were head shots taken by her.

now i know, u have the right in america to charge anyone for anything you have if they want it from u. but she wanted me to pay her $150/hr a minimum of 2hrs.  i had to mail her half the payment and release for her review.   pay her the remainder up her arrival.  now my question again, should new models ask to be paid for a shoot?

needless to say i didn't respond to the email.

Feb 23 06 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

This poor horse has been beaten far too often. The simple answer: She is perfectly within her right to ask for whatever she thinks she can get. You are perfectly in your right to laugh and press delete, or reach for the wallet, whichever you choose to do.

You can also start a dialogue and haggle. But please, don't start this all over again.

Feb 23 06 09:08 pm Link

Model

Model Klau Dia

Los Gatos, California, US

picturemephotography wrote:
a couple of weeks ago a new model joined a "models website", she had a different look(style, pretty face).  the pix she posted she took of herself(litterally). you can tell she is holding the camera and taking the shots of herself.  all five shots were head shots taken by her.

now i know, u have the right in america to charge anyone for anything you have if they want it from u. but she wanted me to pay her $150/hr a minimum of 2hrs.  i had to mail her half the payment and release for her review.   pay her the remainder up her arrival.  now my question again, should new models ask to be paid for a shoot?

No, that's stupid.
Anyone can ask for anything but realistically she shouldn't expect a response other than a joke.
If you do respond tell her to educate herself and start building from the bottom up like everyone else. She's making a fool of herself.
... There are exceptions of course, the 6'1", 112 lb. Foreign 18, year old drop dead gorgeaous beauty that will be signed exclusive tomorro and  happens to have the day off - YES. I am assuming this is not the case.

Feb 23 06 09:11 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

If the model has no experience with a professional photographer, then I would have to say the answer is no. If she has done a few shoots, then I would say it depends. If her images from the few shoots clearly show she can pose, and work the camera well, then it is possible that she is worthy of monetary payment. However, I would only pay her if she is clearly working on a project you plan on selling images for, or are submitting to a magazine or something. Otherwise, the only other time I think money should be involved is if she is doing nude work.

Remember: you are the photographer, not the client. The client should really be the one paying. If she is just starting out, then her payment should be tfp or a test...and probably nothing more. That is just what I would do.

Feb 23 06 09:11 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

I agree with Mikel

Me thinks that when new models do that ($$ p/hr with 2 hour minimum) they are just playing the monkey-see monkey-do game. They probably saw it on someone else's profile, thought it sounded professional,  and just copied it.

Feb 23 06 09:12 pm Link

Model

Amie Alexa

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

DEFINATELY NOT...I am assuming she has no experience since she has no "professional" pictures?...Therefore, you shouldn't waste your time on those kind of models, they only want the money and it is very unprofessional....

Feb 23 06 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:
I agree with Mikel

Will you marry me?

Feb 23 06 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If she is looking to do hustler style shoots for any GWC, sure. Why, not.

Feb 23 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

granted, there are exceptions:

had a girl in one of the local agencies doing her first (i.e., no prior experience in film or video) filmed commercial; naturally, yes, she was paid for her work.

like i said, that's probably an exception; a twist on the usual question about new models charging outlandish fees for shoots.

best to all,
frank_photog

Feb 23 06 09:19 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

I dont see a problem paying a new model if her at home photos are at least proof enough that she is great in front of the camera and very talented. If she has dull photos and is asking to be paid and hasnt proved her worth,then no she should do tfp or tfcd.

Feb 23 06 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Trobee Photography

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Hi pituremephotography... I would give you the perfect answer to this...but my rates for advice is $200. Will you pay me?

Feb 23 06 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Charles Morris

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I dont pay models unless I am getting paid by a client ...and then that client will pay for it when I send the invoice ... Basic economics ..

Feb 23 06 09:24 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:

Will you marry me?

sure, but my rates are $200 and hour with a 10-year minimum and travel expenses must be covered

Feb 23 06 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Amie-Nguyen wrote:
DEFINATELY NOT...I am assuming she has no experience since she has no "professional" pictures?...Therefore, you shouldn't waste your time on those kind of models, they only want the money and it is very unprofessional....

With respect, I find it ironic to assume that people who want to be paid are unprofessional.  Isn't a definition of a "professional model" someone who earns their living through posing for photographs?

In my experience, lots of beginning models are something other than models -- they are students or bartenders or actors or whatever, and as such, they have limited time to devote to modeling.  In order to take the time away from their main occupation, some of them need compensation.  I, for one, have no problem with them asking to get paid.  And, of course, it is up to the photographer to decide that the requested fee with worth it.

Note to beginner models:  Experience does count.  Typically, photographers can be much more productive with experienced models than with beginners.  Therefore, do not be surprised if a photographer balks at paying an inexperienced model, or paying such a model a lower rate.

Personally, I don't ignore requests, nor do I joke about them.  If the fee is too high, I either make a counter offer, or I simply tell the model that I can't afford to pay her the requested fee.  If she is pricing herself out of the market, she'll learn soon enough.

Finally, I am a big advocate of building a local artistic community, and modeling fees is one thing that can/should be discussed in the community.  Beginning models might make a wild guess at what a fee should be; by talking with other models, she may start out asking a more reasonable "market rate" fee.

Feb 23 06 09:27 pm Link

Model

_Kimberly

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Pay somebody 300$ when they don't have a clue what they're doing? If she wants to get work, and no one is willing to give her that much, she'll eventually drop her prices, right?
In the meantime, you can just find someone more experienced for much cheaper. big_smile

(...And wouldn't it be great if you payed her half now and then she decides to flake out on you?)

Feb 23 06 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:

sure, but my rates are $200 and hour with a 10-year minimum and travel expenses must be covered

Hmm... would you consider TFP and paid travel if I said please?

Feb 23 06 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

We have had this same discussion so many times, but I have a simple question, why do you care what she asks for?  If you don't want to pay her rate, just say no and move on.  In her case, she didn't even ask you for money, you simply saw it on her profile.

We beat this to death all the time.  A model can and should ask for whatever she wants.  The market will determine what she finally gets.  There is no reason for anyone to get emotionally involved in the issue.

Feb 23 06 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

picturemephotography

Muncie, Indiana, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
We have had this same discussion so many times, but I have a simple question, why do you care what she asks for?  If you don't want to pay her rate, just say no and move on.  In her case, she didn't even ask you for money, you simply saw it on her profile.

We beat this to death all the time.  A model can and should ask for whatever she wants.  The market will determine what she finally gets.  There is no reason for anyone to get emotionally involved in the issue.

her prices were not posted.  in fact she gave me a list of rules that i must comply with on top of a price in responce to my request to shoot

Feb 23 06 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

now my question again, should new models ask to be paid for a shoot?

New models can do whatever the heck they want to do.   And you can take or leave it.

Personally, I hire a model based only on her looks.  I don't care if she's never seen a camera before.   The only talent I need from a model is the ability to show up on time.

If a new model is attractive enough to book cash jobs, then more power to her.  She's not a charity.

-Dave

Feb 23 06 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

her prices were not posted.  in fact she gave me a list of rules that i must comply with on top of a price in responce to my request to shoot

Then I'm sorry, I misread your post.  The answer is to tell her "No."  If you do that, the problem is solved.  If people don't hire her, she will have to change her rules and her rates.  But she is still entitled to ask for whatever she wants.  You just don't need to accept them.

Feb 23 06 10:38 pm Link

Model

Belladonna

Los Angeles, California, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:

With respect, I find it ironic to assume that people who want to be paid are unprofessional.  Isn't a definition of a "professional model" someone who earns their living through posing for photographs?

In my experience, lots of beginning models are something other than models -- they are students or bartenders or actors or whatever, and as such, they have limited time to devote to modeling.  In order to take the time away from their main occupation, some of them need compensation.  I, for one, have no problem with them asking to get paid.  And, of course, it is up to the photographer to decide that the requested fee with worth it.

Note to beginner models:  Experience does count.  Typically, photographers can be much more productive with experienced models than with beginners.  Therefore, do not be surprised if a photographer balks at paying an inexperienced model, or paying such a model a lower rate.

Personally, I don't ignore requests, nor do I joke about them.  If the fee is too high, I either make a counter offer, or I simply tell the model that I can't afford to pay her the requested fee.  If she is pricing herself out of the market, she'll learn soon enough.

Finally, I am a big advocate of building a local artistic community, and modeling fees is one thing that can/should be discussed in the community.  Beginning models might make a wild guess at what a fee should be; by talking with other models, she may start out asking a more reasonable "market rate" fee.

I think that is one of the most well thought out responses I have heard in a topic yet. I agree with your response overall; if the model is out of their league, so be it. If the photographer is/is not willing to pay, so be it. Excellent.

Feb 23 06 10:41 pm Link

Model

Belladonna

I think that is one of the most well thought out responses I have heard in a topic yet. I agree with your response overall; if the model is out of their league, so be it. If the photographer is/is not willing to pay, so be it. Excellent.

Feb 23 06 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Dave Krueger wrote:

New models can do whatever the heck they want to do.   And you can take or leave it.

Personally, I hire a model based only on her looks.  I don't care if she's never seen a camera before.   The only talent I need from a model is the ability to show up on time.

If a new model is attractive enough to book cash jobs, then more power to her.  She's not a charity.

-Dave

I agree.  We all have value.  If someone wishes to give it away for  perceived advancement then fine but why should someone need experience for a job that does not need experience.

Experience is so overrated.   This is photography and modeling,  this is life.   You can all choose to ask to be paid,  the market will tell you wether or not that this profession is the right choice.

If  a model is hot then why not ask for coin.   If a photographer just has it not just image wise but he has the thing that people want to be around him(a much ignored item in making it big),
Then why not ask for money.

I should turn the question around and ask who the hell thought up the idea of working for free?

Not me,  that is for sure.
Stop the tarded madness and pay me now.

Feb 23 06 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Kimmy275 wrote:
(...And wouldn't it be great if you payed her half now and then she decides to flake out on you?)

Yeah, that was the part that caught MY eye
No WAY I am sending someone $ in advance
When they show up to work, I trade them a check for the release form.

Feb 23 06 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

why,  how,  where, when does it matter.   It matters if you have the look,  the body,  the vision,  able to move.   These are most often things not learned on photoshoots but you either just have or you learned long ago.

I disagree strongely.

Do not be surprised if an inexperienced photographer does not know how to judge a model correctly and thus will want an experienced model.

learn how to judge a facial structure,  movement,  balance,  personality,  body type, and confidence  and that is  a much more important judge then experience.

Feb 23 06 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

OOooo, what was in the rules?

Feb 23 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Jack D Trute wrote:

why,  how,  where, when does it matter.   It matters if you have the look,  the body,  the vision,  able to move.   These are most often things not learned on photoshoots but you either just have or you learned long ago.

I disagree strongely.

We can agree to disagree.  Certainly, genetics plays a very large role in the appeal of a model.  Also, some models move better than others.  But I'll contend that movement, presentation, communication with the photographer, and other stuff are skills that can be refined with practice.

Feb 24 06 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Yeah, right. Let's assume you had more money than brains and decided to shoot her on her terms. My guess is that she would show up and for the whole shoot would be saying, "I don't know what to do. Tell me what to do." Then you'd be pretty pissed off that this cost you $300 to find out.

Feb 24 06 02:55 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

I don't know should a new photographer be charged by models for a shoot?  Answer this question and it will answer the one you posted in return.  smile

Feb 24 06 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

ArghGoNut Photography

Key West, Florida, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:

Will you marry me?

She will but it's $150 per hour and a 5 year minimum

Feb 24 06 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

I could be wrong about this...

...but it seems to me that as a model, one would receive paid work based on one's look and ability in front of the camera.  If the look is worth the money she's charging, then pay it as long as your requirements extend no further than looks. 

There are models who've been at it for years and have excellent imagery.  But they could also be habitually late, quick to no-show, divas on the set, and all-around difficult to deal with.  Does the length of time modeling validate paying a rate for that track record?  New or seasoned doesn't dictate charging a rate.

So, should a new model charge rates?  Absolutely.  His/her rate could range from 3 prints per shoot to a pirate's stash per hour.  But nobody's making you pay it.  If she gets takers who will pay, good for her.  If she doesn't, then she'll adjust her rate until she gets more bookings. 

Otherwise, she'll price herself out of the market and will quickly be of no concern to anyone.  I wouldn't worry about it too much...

Feb 24 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
I don't know should a new photographer be charged by models for a shoot?  Answer this question and it will answer the one you posted in return.  smile

Yes.  The quickest way for a new photographer to build a good port is to work with a good model who can give him great poses with no direction from him (sice he doesn't know anything anyway).  Is that worth money?  It certainly could be.

Don't ya agree?

-Dave

Feb 24 06 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

JSPHOTO

Appleton, Wisconsin, US

Hey, agencies models are sent on jobs with as little as one shoot under their belt.  I know of one who walked into the agency and had the look of a no-show model.  Her first 'shoot' was some 'roids faxed to the client.

She was on  her first shoot without a pro pic ever taken.

Ya, the exception.

But, the model can ask whatever she wants.  She's within her right to ask, as you are to deny.

JOel

Feb 24 06 04:59 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/nakedkatie2000/beatahorse.gif

Feb 24 06 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

JSPHOTO

Appleton, Wisconsin, US

Hey, agencies models are sent on jobs with as little as one shoot under their belt.  There is no 'upcharge' for experience.

I know of one who walked into the agency and had the look of a no-show model.  Her first 'shoot' was some 'roids faxed to the client.

She was on  her first shoot without a pro pic ever taken.

Ya, the exception.

But, the model can ask whatever she wants.  She's within her right to ask, as you are to deny.

JOel

Feb 24 06 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Very nice response.  I couldn't agree more.

Feb 24 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

clickrick523

North Scituate, Massachusetts, US

Here's the REAL deal Folks, First of all,this is a Business! Any worthwhile Goal is worth paying for! You invest in schools, don't you? You invest in a NEW Car, don't you?? Well, the same logic exists here.

When I first began I innvested in a trip to ME for my First SHoot,and the Model Agent didn't even offer to pay my Mileage expense,little did I know then. So I payed the Model $150.00 for a 2 hour shoot!

So now when I'm marketing my Services, I may charge a minimum of a 2 Hour shoot, but am willing to give a New Model more of my time, so will possibly extend that 2 Hour minimum into 5 Hours...and not charge her over the 2 Hours....
This works for me......smile I do charge a higher rate now per hour since the rise in Gas Prices.

Hope that helps! Soo come do a Shoot with me and BE A TEAM!

~~~Rick from RI~~~
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feb 25 06 01:25 am Link