This thread was locked on 2008-07-16 23:12:09
Forums > Photography Talk > Man Arrested For Unlawful Photography

Photographer

Shades Of Gray

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Who knew you couldn't photograph a cop?  Is that really a law in TN?

Man Arrested For Unlawful Photography[TN]
WJHL ^ | 11 July 2008 |

Nearly everyone carries a cell phone and it’s hard to find one without that camera feature.  It’s convenient when you want to take that impromptu photo, but a Tri-Cities area man ended up behind bars after snapping a shot of a Johnson County sheriff’s deputy during a traffic stop.

The cell phone photographer says the arrest was intimidation, but the deputy says he feared for his life.

“Here’s a guy who takes me out of the car and arrests me in front of my kids.  For what?  To take a picture of a police officer?” said Scott Conover.

A Johnson County sheriff’s deputy arrested Scott Conover for unlawful photography.

“He says you took a picture of me.  It’s illegal to take a picture of a law enforcement officer,” said Conover.

Conover took a picture of a sheriff’s deputy on the side of the road on a traffic stop.  Conover was stunned by the charge.

“This is a public highway,” said Conover.

And it was not a place where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy as Tennessee code states.  The deputy also asked Conover to delete the picture three times.

“He said if you don’t give it to me, you’re going to jail,” said Conover.

Under the advice of the Johnson County attorney, the sheriff would not comment and the arresting deputy said he didn’t want to incriminate himself by talking to us.

In an affidavit, the deputy said he saw something black with a red light which he thought was a threat.  Conover was also arrested for pointing a laser at a law enforcement officer.

“At no time did I have a laser.  I had an iPhone,” said Conover.

When you take a picture in the dark with Conover’s Apple iPhone, there is no flash or any light that comes from the phone that could be mistaken for a laser.

In a witness statement by a Mountain City officer, is says the deputy asked about the picture rather than looking for a laser.

“If you arrested me, wouldn’t you take the laser?  If you arrested me, wouldn’t you take the camera?” said Conover.

He expects these charges to be dismissed.

“This guy maliciously arrested me, charging me with phony charges that he don’t even understand himself,” Conover said.

The American Civil Liberties Union would not comment on Conover’s case without fully reviewing the allegations, but told us there is no law that prohibits anyone from taking photographs in public areas, even of police.  Taking photos is protected by the First Amendment.  Conover is ordered to appear in a Johnson County court on August 6th.

Link:
http://static.mgnetwork.com/tri/media_p … idavit.pdf

Jul 16 08 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Dream-foto

Chico, California, US

Common sense as well as the law in most places forbids you from interfering with a police officer. You should never bother the police at a traffic stop, or while arresting someone. However if you keep your distance it should be alright to photograph police, I've done it many times.

https://www.taugammatheta.com/TGFD06/photos/photo13.jpg

Jul 16 08 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Oak Leaf Studios

Lebanon, Missouri, US

That is just idiotic. To arrest someone just because they took a picture of you.

Jul 16 08 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Monito -- Alan

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Throw the book at the officer.  "Feared for his life"?  Nonsense.  That is an excuse cooked up after the officer committed himself to an unconstitutional act.

Jul 16 08 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Sam Comer Photography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Monito -- Alan wrote:
Throw the book at the officer.  "Feared for his life"?  Nonsense.  That is an excuse cooked up after the officer committed himself to an unconstitutional act.

Maybe the guy was using a camera like this:

https://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w304/barflyband/shootpeople.jpg

Jul 16 08 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Red Planet Photo

Charleston, West Virginia, US

I'm not going to say anything negative about cops, although I can think of plenty.  There was no reason for the cop to arrest that man and now the police are in "CYA" mode in not wanting to make a statement that would incriminate the department.

That's the thing -- when cops do something that is criminal, which in this case is violating someone's civil rights, they should be punished.  The cop's IGNORANCE of the law is no excuse (as they always tell us civilians).

Jul 16 08 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Flash Vividere

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I shoot police all the time and one time when they were harassing a guy quite extensively.  The cops did form a human barricade around the scene to keep people like me away from theguy they were beating up but there aren't enough cops to keep a telephoto away.

After awhile I did get told to move along but since I was outside their human barricade I didn't feel they had a right to tell me to move along.  Also, as a member of the press I should have had even more rights to stand right where I was and shoot until I was blue in the face or ran out ot CF cards smile

Considering they were already illegally beating up one person I didn't feel I wanted to be added to the pile.

Lew

Jul 16 08 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

AcmeStudios

Laser aiming devices are fairly inexpensive and available for most handguns these days. I own two.

http://www.tactical-gear.biz/laser-sights.shtml

Jul 16 08 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Monito -- Alan

Sam Comer Photography wrote:

Please read first before posting.  It was a cell phone.

There are many fine officers and some genuine heroes.  Rogue cops make it tougher for all other cops and increase disrespect for law and order.

Jul 16 08 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Monito -- Alan wrote:

There are many fine officers and some genuine heroes.  Rogue cops make it tougher for all other cops and increase disrespect for law and order.

/me sees the airplane flying over your head.

Jul 16 08 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Twan Imagery

Miami, Florida, US

you gotta think of it from the cop side. what if someone you were giving a ticket to took a picture of you. it's more safey then anything else. i wouldn't want some one i'm taking to jail or giving a ticket to take a picture of me. what for? are you gonna try & come and find me offduty. that would bother me so i don't blame that police officer.

it's hard to remember faces & when he has a picture of me he can come after me years later & me not knowing who the hell he is.

i know in FL you can't take a photo of anyone in uniform. that deals with law, fire & anything else public safely

Jul 16 08 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Sam Comer Photography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Monito -- Alan wrote:

Read the post. And the other one that was posted 2 days ago about the same story.

More to the point, on the cops' side, their safety is of upmost importance. One reason why there are acceptable limits to window tinting. Why cops want your hands on the steering wheel when they approach your vehicle. Why people get shot reaching into their coat pocket to get their license and the cop thinks the guy is drawing down on him. Pointing a cell phone at a cop who might be a bit on edge (why wouldn't he be? ... he's a cop) could possibly be misidentified as a gun being pulled. Then someone gets killed for no reason.

Then there's all that paperwork ....

So in a weird, roundabout way, the guncamera makes sense.

Jul 16 08 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Monito -- Alan

Twan Imagery wrote:
i know in FL you can't take a photo of anyone in uniform. that deals with law, fire & anything else public safely

You "know"?

https://www.sptimes.com/2007/10/24/images/tb_UFtaser_450.jpg
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/10/25/State … _pol.shtml

Jul 16 08 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

AcmeStudios

Monito -- Alan wrote:

You "know"?

Is that the "dont taze me bro" guy?

Jul 16 08 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Monito -- Alan

Monito -- Alan wrote:
Please read first before posting.  It was a cell phone. There are many fine officers and some genuine heroes.  Rogue cops make it tougher for all other cops and increase disrespect for law and order.

Read the post. And the other identical one that was posted 2 days ago about the same story.

I read the original post.  I don't spend all my time reading MM, so if you want or are able you can link the other thread for us.

Photographer

Twan Imagery

Miami, Florida, US

Monito -- Alan wrote:
You "know"?

they don't look aware of it happening
can't clearly see their face

AcmeStudios wrote:

Is that the "dont taze me bro" guy?

that's him

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Twan Imagery wrote:

Can you link that law?  That's the first I've ever heard of it.

Jul 16 08 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Sam Comer Photography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Monito -- Alan wrote:

Monito -- Alan wrote:
Please read first before posting.  It was a cell phone. There are many fine officers and some genuine heroes.  Rogue cops make it tougher for all other cops and increase disrespect for law and order.

I read the original post.  I don't spend all my time reading MM, so if you want or are able you can link the other thread for us.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=317261

Jul 16 08 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Twan Imagery wrote:

Care to post a link to the specifics of that "law".......
Cause I'm quite sure it does not exist.

you see there is this little thing called the constitution and freedom of the press....
and I think you law might just violate it.....

Photographer

DMW Shoots

Miami, Florida, US

It is a misdemeanor to photograph, film or observe a person without consent where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy, when the photographing, filming or viewing "would offend or embarrass an ordinary person" and is done for sexual purposes. Tenn. Code Ann. §§ 39-13-605

As long as you had no "sexual purpose", sounds like Mr. Lawman will have fun trying to explain himself. It is absolutely the right of a public citizen to document roadside stops for the protection of the community. Good thing you didn't catch them doing something wrong, the consequences could have been much worse.

Photographer

Monito -- Alan

Twan Imagery wrote:

I don't think you have a clue.

https://www.allamericananimals.com/FIRE20.jpg

http://www.allamericananimals.com/InvestigSSMTab1.html

Jul 16 08 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Kings Media Photos

Victorville, California, US

Monito -- Alan wrote:

I believe he was being sarcastic.....

Jul 16 08 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Vincent

Idaho Falls, Idaho, US

you can take pictures of police officers. the may not like it but you can, like said above, as long as you aren't in their way.

Now in my younger days, I was at a concert and I took a photos of some cops with my disposable camera, they came and took it from me and smashed it. I wish I would have been smarter then. I would have caused some sort of ruckus.

Jul 16 08 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Richie Rich B

Largo, Florida, US

Jul 16 08 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Colman photography

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Twan Imagery wrote:

Bull.  I shot news for a Florida TV station many years ago.  There is no such law.  You are free to shoot anything and anyone you want, including cops, kids, firemen, etc as long as you're on public property where the subject can't expect any privacy and you're not interfering with anyone doing their job.

Jul 16 08 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

Brian Marrs Photography wrote:
I'm not going to say anything negative about cops, although I can think of plenty.  There was no reason for the cop to arrest that man and now the police are in "CYA" mode in not wanting to make a statement that would incriminate the department.

That's the thing -- when cops do something that is criminal, which in this case is violating someone's civil rights, they should be punished.  The cop's IGNORANCE of the law is no excuse (as they always tell us civilians).

Ditto!

Jul 16 08 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Sam Comer Photography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Brandon Vincent wrote:
you can take pictures of police officers. the may not like it but you can, like said above, as long as you aren't in their way.

Now in my younger days, I was at a concert and I took a photos of some cops with my disposable camera, they came and took it from me and smashed it. I wish I would have been smarter then. I would have caused some sort of ruckus.

As my ex-girlfriend the "Evil Bitch Attack Lawyer" used to tell me, cops pretty much have a get out of jail free card when it comes to violating your rights. If you give them crap for taking your camera and violating due process, they'll just arrest you for disturbing the peace. It's really not in your best interest to pull out your copy of the Constitution to "put them in their place." They'll still bust you. You go to jail, then to court where you tell the judge what happened. The judge sends you home because your rights were violated and you were arrested under false pretenses. You feel vindicated because you were right all along, but when it all comes down to it, that cop still put your ass in jail.

Jul 16 08 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Twan Imagery

Miami, Florida, US

i'll pull it up

Jul 16 08 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Visions by Dan

Bullard, Texas, US

Twan Imagery wrote:
you gotta think of it from the cop side. what if someone you were giving a ticket to took a picture of you. it's more safey then anything else. i wouldn't want some one i'm taking to jail or giving a ticket to take a picture of me. what for? are you gonna try & come and find me offduty. that would bother me so i don't blame that police officer.

it's hard to remember faces & when he has a picture of me he can come after me years later & me not knowing who the hell he is.

So what would the difference be if later in the day someone snapped a picture of the cop using a telephoto and the cop never knew his/her pic was taken?

Jul 16 08 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

CGI Images

Wichita, Kansas, US

As my ex-girlfriend the "Evil Bitch Attack Lawyer" used to tell me, cops pretty much have a get out of jail free card when it comes to violating your rights. If you give them crap for taking your camera and violating due process, they'll just arrest you for disturbing the peace. It's really not in your best interest to pull out your copy of the Constitution to "put them in their place." They'll still bust you. You go to jail, then to court where you tell the judge what happened. The judge sends you home because your rights were violated and you were arrested under false pretenses. You feel vindicated because you were right all along, but when it all comes down to it, that cop still put your ass in jail.

EXACTLY!!

Jul 16 08 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

J C KUNSTFOTOGRAFIE

Los Angeles, California, US

Monito -- Alan wrote:

I don't think you have a clue.

https://www.allamericananimals.com/FIRE20.jpg

http://www.allamericananimals.com/InvestigSSMTab1.html

What I don't like about this PSA is that it makes boar-hunting sound trivial and cruel.

Jul 16 08 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Alexander Image

Edison, New Jersey, US

I have done many times, but never met any problems.
https://www.alexanderimage.com/images/mm/cop1.jpg
https://www.alexanderimage.com/images/mm/cop2.jpg
https://www.alexanderimage.com/images/mm/cop3.jpg

Jul 16 08 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Twan Imagery

Miami, Florida, US

i've been looking at statutes for an hour.
though i can't find it in there. i went on a shoot at the beach & i asked a really cool lifeguard to get in the picture with the model, he said i can't. i'm in uniform.
i can't find it in the statute as a penalty but i strongly believe they are not supposed to until i see in writing it's fine.
it may be in there hand book not so much in the statue.

Jul 16 08 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

https://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w304/barflyband/shootpeople.jpg

Very cool

Jul 16 08 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Lucas Chapman

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Brian Marrs Photography wrote:

T E N N E S S E E ...    nuff siad

Jul 16 08 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Sam Comer Photography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

FemmeArt wrote:

Very cool

YEah. Good to have when you want to run up to the president sometime and say, "Hey! Mr. President! Check out this cool camera I got!"

Jul 16 08 11:03 pm Link