Forums > General Industry > A Solemn Pledge

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

In an effort to teach people that they have to do SOME of the work, I solemnly swear that from now on when I send a message like this:

"I haven't done a lot of work with $MODELTYPE and I'd be interested in expanding my portfolio in that direction. Let me know what sort of stuff you're looking for, and perhaps we can work something out."

To a model who has expressed interest in expanding their portfolio, who has solicited offers to do this, and who can see from my own portfolio that I do pretty much any sort of model photography and help models expand their books, and I get back this answer:

"What do u have in mind?"

I will simply not respond.

(RANTMODE=ON)

I HAVE IN MIND TAKING YOUR PICTURE! YOU ARE THE ONE WHO WANTS TO EXPAND THEIR BOOK. YOU TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT TO DO THAT WITH!

(RANTMODE=OFF)

Sorry. Yes, I'm the photographer, and for the most part the photographer does the creative stuff. I have no problem with that and I can be creative, or at least fake it convincingly. But if you want to expand your book, you have to tell me  what you want before I can get my create on, capische? What is this, a test? If I tell you what I have in mind but it's not what you have in mind, do I fail? Or is that like the required price of admission? "Tell me what you want, and if it's not what I want, THEN I'll tell you what I want, so you'll feel stupid first."

ARGH!

M

Feb 24 06 09:22 am Link

Model

Elektro_Kandy

Johnson City, Tennessee, US

Some of us just don't have the creative capacity that you lovely photogs do. tongue That or, they just want your opinion to see if it's better then their own first.

Feb 24 06 09:26 am Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

StMarc wrote:
"Tell me what you want, and if it's not what I want, THEN I'll tell you what I want, so you'll feel stupid first."

And this is the game we play.
Why not tell them you imagine having them dress in a big pink bunny suit while standing in a vat of aged cheese (yes. A vat.) while trying to achieve classic pin up poses? smile

Feb 24 06 09:29 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

The main reason I ask a photographer (or makeup artist) what they would like to do is because, to me, what they are wanting is priority since they are taking the time to shoot me.

I have plenty of ideas...and the shots that you see in my portfolio were either my brainchild or a collaboration.

But as I said, if I am doing TF-whatever (which is EVERY shoot) then I make sure that the photographer and makeup artist get what they want first.  If they are open to suggestions, then we collaborate or I plan it.

Feb 24 06 09:30 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I wasn't clear enough, I think. I don't expect a laundry list. But if somebody says they want to expand their portfolio, is something like, "I want some lifestyle shots," too much to ask? I can take pictures of you outside looking cool and froody in my hip neighborhood. I can take pictures of you in a pink bunny suit standing a vat of cheese. I can take pictures of you hanging from a rope in the basement. I am flexible. But I have to know what I am being flexible about. That's all. That's not so much to ask.

Is it?

M

Feb 24 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Kitapanda wrote:

And this is the game we play.
Why not tell them you imagine having them dress in a big pink bunny suit while standing in a vat of aged cheese (yes. A vat.) while trying to achieve classic pin up poses? smile

You need to be a photographer too Kita!

Feb 24 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

I think that a model should state what she has in mind, but being the photographer its always about your creative input as well. Its a TEAM effort.

Feb 24 06 10:11 am Link