Forums > General Industry > So sorry, I've got to rant.

Photographer

Tokyo Romance

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ohk, the other night my friend IMed me and asked me to photoshop some images for her friend (who asked her to ask me). Me being me, I said of course. I like re-touching images, it's my yoga.

As she is sending the images, I look over them and the first thought that enters my head is "crappy snapshots". They were taken inside with low lighting and had a yellow tint over everything. They were blurry and grainy. The poses we ohk, but the angles were bad. Over all that the model was plain and had pretty bad acne.

So, I took a deep breath and started. I fixed the lighting through levels and colors and such. I cleaned up her acne, cropped it and sent the first edit to the model and my friend.

She didn't like it, because I had added a diffuse glow to help with the grainy-ness. (It was so blurry, I didn't want to despeckle or anything).

I explained this and the girl flipps out on me with, "Grainy? Do you know how expensive that camera was? It's top-of-the-line! The best on the market!" So on and so forth, and she even tried to lecture me about photography and photoshop.

I asked what kind of camera it was and she told me, I looked it up and, yes it was a nice camera (8 megapixels), but not top-of-the-line. I said so and explained that they probably should have used a tripod so that the images wouldn't have been so blurry.

She didn't know what a tripod was.

When I explained this her excuse was that they didn't have alot of access to equipment. I told her the photographer could have used anything steady, I do when I have to get a photo fast.

She says that the photographer was moving around to much for that and that the images weren't meant to be "perfect", because they were in RAW file format.

I told her that it doesn't matter. You've ruined an image if you don't use a tripod in low light. Photoshop can't fix that.

Now what ticked me off the most is that she was trying to lecture me about something she didn't know anything about.

To me, you try your best to make the images as close to perfect as possible before they get to photoshop. Then you photoshop the acne, fix the lighting, etc. I'm not by any means a Photoshop Pro, I'm still learning, but the things she suggested were just stupid. Like she said to just use Auto Color... which made the image look washed out.

Ohk, end of rant. Anyone have any similar experiences? Everyone pitch in, I hate being the only one with a crappy experience.

Feb 24 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

nice rant.
However, you might as well told her she was butt ugly and fat to boot.

I am betting her boyfriend was the photographer, and that by you indicating that he was "not so good" she felt you were insulting him and got defensive etc..etc..etc..

I know it is fustrating dealing with people like that, I have to put up with it on a daily basis....

big_smile

Forgive and forget... (and add a mustach to one of her pics and send it around the internet!)

Feb 24 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Tokyo Romance

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ty Simone wrote:
nice rant.
However, you might as well told her she was butt ugly and fat to boot.

I am betting her boyfriend was the photographer, and that by you indicating that he was "not so good" she felt you were insulting him and got defensive etc..etc..etc..

I know it is fustrating dealing with people like that, I have to put up with it on a daily basis....

big_smile

Forgive and forget... (and add a mustach to one of her pics and send it around the internet!)

LoL! That makes perfect sense. I was completely baffled by how quickly she got offended. Daily basis? Share a rant! It'll make me feel better. ^_^

Feb 24 06 10:27 am Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

as a general policy, I never photoshop pix for friends of friends. wink

Feb 24 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Tokyo Romance

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ian Weintraub wrote:
as a general policy, I never photoshop pix for friends of friends. wink

Why?
Though I think I'm going to take up that policy. LoL.

Feb 24 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I'd toss the files in the trash and empty it without delay.

"I'm sorry...I guess I wasn't as good at photoshop as I thought.  I won't be able to do anything with these.  Thanks for sending them to me...I'm off to go get a Photoshop for Dummies book"

Feb 24 06 10:40 am Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

Djinn Photographic wrote:

Why?
Though I think I'm going to take up that policy. LoL.

i was just joking... but, it does sound like a good policy, doesn't it!

btw... nice work on your DA gallery... i left you a comment.

Feb 24 06 10:41 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

My experience with doing photoshop and other digital imaging work over the years was that the more sophisticated that client was, the more that they appreciated the work.  I got to were I did not do work for people who did not have any knowledge of what kind of time and skill is required to make high-quality edits to photography.

Feb 24 06 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Tokyo Romance

Atlanta, Georgia, US

James Jackson wrote:
I'd toss the files in the trash and empty it without delay.

"I'm sorry...I guess I wasn't as good at photoshop as I thought.  I won't be able to do anything with these.  Thanks for sending them to me...I'm off to go get a Photoshop for Dummies book"

Ah, Hello, again. ^_^
LoL. I did do just that, except I didn't tell the model. She said she had to go and I never got the chance, but I'm going to tell our mutal friend that I've deleted the photos because I don't feel like being metaphorically pissed on by someone I'm helping out.

Feb 24 06 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Tokyo Romance

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ian Weintraub wrote:

i was just joking... but, it does sound like a good policy, doesn't it!

btw... nice work on your DA gallery... i left you a comment.

Sorry.
*ish embarrassed*
It's difficult to tell when people are joking online, LoL.
Thankies, love,  I'll check out your DA gallery, as well.
^_^

Feb 24 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Tokyo Romance

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
My experience with doing photoshop and other digital imaging work over the years was that the more sophisticated that client was, the more that they appreciated the work.  I got to were I did not do work for people who did not have any knowledge of what kind of time and skill is required to make high-quality edits to photography.

*nods*
That makes sense.
I think most likely that applys to most feilds. Like I photographed a wanna-be model and she loved the images, but was not grateful that I worked TFCD with her when I really didn't have to.
The more mature and intelligent people are, the more they are apt to understand and appreciate what people do for them.

Feb 24 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

...but I'm going to tell our mutal friend that I've deleted the photos because I don't feel like being metaphorically pissed on by someone I'm helping out.

Meh...why tell them you're deleting them because you know you're right.  Make yourself out to be the stupid one, even though everyone knows better.  She'll be happy and won't start ranting that you *need* to do the photoshoping, and you can also use it as an opportunity to introduce her to the concept of "You get what you paid for" by sending her a link to some photoshop retouchers in the area and a list of their rates ($20-$120/hour depending on who and how long they've been working).

Feb 24 06 10:50 am Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

If someone spoke to me like that after doing them a favour I would politly tell her where she could shove her lecture

peace

xx shelly

Feb 24 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

That what you get when you do SH.T for free!
lecture yourself! NEVER AGAIN!

My solution: I charge for edits.
Explain that it is cheaper to reshoot than pay for editing.

If it takes two hours to fix a pic or one one  to reshoot; then reshoot;

Next she will bring the BF along on your shoot with his camera ready!

Feb 24 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Tokyo Romance

Atlanta, Georgia, US

James Jackson wrote:

Meh...why tell them you're deleting them because you know you're right.  Make yourself out to be the stupid one, even though everyone knows better.  She'll be happy and won't start ranting that you *need* to do the photoshoping, and you can also use it as an opportunity to introduce her to the concept of "You get what you paid for" by sending her a link to some photoshop retouchers in the area and a list of their rates ($20-$120/hour depending on who and how long they've been working).

I've got too much pride. I want to let her know that she can't treat people like that. I think I will take your advice on sending her a link to a photoshop retoucher, though.

Feb 24 06 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Tokyo Romance

Atlanta, Georgia, US

shelly1982 wrote:
If someone spoke to me like that after doing them a favour I would politly tell her where she could shove her lecture

peace

xx shelly

*nods*
I think that's what I'm going to do.

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

I should, but I like helping people out when I can.

Feb 24 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Normally a good idea - but let's say the lady took him up on the $ and paid - there still would be the crappy photos that are not worth salvaging.  And then it gets real ugly because she wants something for her money.  Best bet is to walk away from all the drama.

Yeah, I hate swallowing some of my best comebacks and instead simply saying "You're right, I'm not good enough to fix these, please try someone else." 

She'd still have crappy photographs but she'd burn through more of the community and might eventually find out the truth about her BF's fancy camera and his abilities.

Remember -"Never wrestle with pig - you'll both get dirty but the pig will like it."

Feb 24 06 11:22 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Dreams To Keep wrote:
Yeah, I hate swallowing some of my best comebacks and instead simply saying "You're right, I'm not good enough to fix these, please try someone else."

It's argument Judo...you take all the energy they were going to spend on berating you and redirect it towards them finding out what you knew in the first place...hopefully after they've spent a lot of money and time being pissed off about it.

Feb 24 06 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Tokyo Romance

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Dreams To Keep wrote:
Normally a good idea - but let's say the lady took him up on the $ and paid - there still would be the crappy photos that are not worth salvaging.  And then it gets real ugly because she wants something for her money.  Best bet is to walk away from all the drama.

She'd still have crappy photographs but she'd burn through more of the community and might eventually find out the truth about her BF's fancy camera and his abilities.

Remember -"Never wrestle with pig - you'll both get dirty but the pig will like it."

*nods*
Very true.

Feb 24 06 11:27 am Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

It is the same in dealing with clients who need a photographer.  Typically, clients who are "more sophisticated" appreciate good photography and treat a photographer accordingly (i.e., appreciate their time, experience and skills).

This is why most (noob) model TFP experiences often go bad for experienced photographers.  The "model" doesn't fully realize what they are being given for "free" when working with someone who has more experience.

I decline any job if I detect they are basically "price shoppers" and are not interested in me because they like/appreciate MY work...

It helps to avoid a lot of the drama you see posted on here...

- Denoy

Feb 24 06 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Tokyo Romance

Atlanta, Georgia, US

DeBoer Photography wrote:

It is the same in dealing with clients who need a photographer.  Typically, clients who are "more sophisticated" appreciate good photography and treat a photographer accordingly (i.e., appreciate their time, experience and skills).

This is why most (noob) model TFP experiences often go bad for experienced photographers.  The "model" doesn't fully realize what they are being given for "free" when working with someone who has more experience.

I decline any job if I detect they are basically "price shoppers" and are not interested in me because they like/appreciate MY work...

It helps to avoid a lot of the drama you see posted on here...

- Denoy

Agreed. I'm actually dealing with that alot lately.
I recently got my first no-call, no-show TFCD model.
Wow, I now understand all the photographers that rant about it here on Model Mayhem.

Feb 24 06 11:37 am Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Next she will bring the BF along on your shoot with his camera ready![]

[Djinn Photography]
I should, but I like helping people out when I can.

So, what you are saying is you haven't learned anything from this experience.

Feb 24 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Tokyo Romance

Atlanta, Georgia, US

DeBoer Photography wrote:
So, what you are saying is you haven't learned anything from this experience.

Nah, I've learned to filter who I help.
I'm not going to stop helping people just because I had a bad experience.
If I did that I'd end up like those bitter old women that gossip all the time.
^_^

Feb 24 06 11:43 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Dreams To Keep wrote:

That's true. If the model has horrible skin, and the photos were crud to begin with, then even if you fixed them, she would be falsely promoting herself, and it wouldn't be worth it.

If something like that happened to me, I would just simply tell her that she should take the photos to the photographer who took them, and have him/her photoshop them...just to see what she would say. If she said the photographer doesn't know how to use photoshop, then I would just tell her "Then that isn't much of a photographer, is it?"

I would also give them the excuse that since you didn't take the images, you can't repair them in photoshop or anything, because you would be violating copywright laws. Sometimes, it works, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't, then quote some unrealistic rates for editing. Also, draw up a contract saying that all sales are final, and payment should be done in full before editing begins. If they don't like the edited images, show them where the nearest place to buy editing software is, and tell them they can fix it themselves. Is that mean? Dunno. Some people just don't understand the time, effort, and money involved in doing photography, and some do.

Feb 24 06 11:46 am Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Nah, I've learned to filter who I help.
I'm not going to stop helping people just because I had a bad experience.
If I did that I'd end up like those bitter old women that gossip all the time.
^_^

There will be those who appreciate your work and what you do, but most likely, there will be more of those who value the work that you do for them the same that you do (i.e., it is "free")...unless you become very good at filtering.

Best of luck to you!

- Denoy

Feb 24 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Tokyo Romance

Atlanta, Georgia, US

BeccaNDSouth wrote:
That's true. If the model has horrible skin, and the photos were crud to begin with, then even if you fixed them, she would be falsely promoting herself, and it wouldn't be worth it.

If something like that happened to me, I would just simply tell her that she should take the photos to the photographer who took them, and have him/her photoshop them...just to see what she would say. If she said the photographer doesn't know how to use photoshop, then I would just tell her "Then that isn't much of a photographer, is it?"

I would also give them the excuse that since you didn't take the images, you can't repair them in photoshop or anything, because you would be violating copywright laws. Sometimes, it works, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't, then quote some unrealistic rates for editing. Also, draw up a contract saying that all sales are final, and payment should be done in full before editing begins. If they don't like the edited images, show them where the nearest place to buy editing software is, and tell them they can fix it themselves. Is that mean? Dunno. Some people just don't understand the time, effort, and money involved in doing photography, and some do.

*nods*

Deboer Photography wrote:
There will be those who appreciate your work and what you do, but most likely, there will be more of those who value the work that you do for them the same that you do (i.e., it is "free")...unless you become very good at filtering.

Best of luck to you!

- Denoy

Thank-you.
^_^

Feb 24 06 11:51 am Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

She didn't know what a tripod was.

On what planet do they not have tripods?

Feb 24 06 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

William Coleman wrote:

Why Planet Claire of course.
Sheesh I thought Everyone knew that!

Planet Claire has pink air
All the trees are red
No one ever dies there
No one has a head

Therefore No tripod needed.....

Do I need to explain the logic as well.....
I am sure I can come up with something totally off the wall and stupid to link that together with the tripod........ big_smile

Feb 24 06 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Stay far away from people who make excuses instead of taking responsibility for their own actions.

Feb 24 06 11:58 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

William Coleman wrote:

Exactly! I knew what a tripod was when I was in 3rd grade...geesh! Which reminds me, I need to get a new one before the middle of next month.

If the model made the excuse that the photographer couldn't afford a tripod, I would have laughed, because you can pick them up for about $20-$30 at a Walmart or Radio Shack.

Feb 24 06 12:02 pm Link