Forums > General Industry > Model wants plastic skin...Why?

Photographer

L Foto

Maumelle, Arkansas, US

I got a request from a young model (15) that requested that I photoshop her photos from a TFP shoot to make her skin look smooth.  She wanted the Barbie doll look for the photo (or as I refer to it – plastic skin).   She was wanting the pictures so that she could enter them for most photogenic in a high school beauty contest.   But what I don’t understand is how a photo that has been overly photoshop can win for most photogenic.   This plastic skin look does not show how photogenic you are, or how good the photographer is, it only show that someone can use photoshop.  I have a really problem with young girls (this one with beautiful skin) want it to look fake in order to win.  Can someone enlighten me as to how fake and overly photoshoped equates with photogenic?

Feb 24 06 12:29 pm Link

Model

Miss Christina

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

I like the Barbie look wink I'd love to have some shots where I look plastic, but that's age talking. Why a 15 year old would want it I have no idea....??
Of course it has nothing to do with being photogenic or not, some people just like the look, others don't

Feb 24 06 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoSmurf

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Out of over 200 models, only ONE wanted the "plastic skin" look.

It was a fairly recent shoot too. For the life of me I could not understand why she insisted upon looking like a Barbie doll and even offered more money for that effect (I declined the money but reluctantly agreed to her request).

That's life, I guess.

Feb 24 06 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

L Foto

Maumelle, Arkansas, US

I have no problem with the Barbie doll look, if that is what you like.   But it just bothered me that according to her, that to win a high school beauty contest for the most photogenic you have to look like a Barbie doll.  I thought photogenic was when you look good in a picture without needing all the photoshoping.

Feb 24 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Lee Allison

Bentonville, Arkansas, US

Charge her for your time, smile all the way to the bank and chalk it up as another instance where you and your client aren't on the same page but you got paid and they got happy anyway.

:^)

Feb 24 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

J Haig

Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

Because plastic is shiny, and cleans up easily.

Feb 24 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Vita Brevis wrote:
Because plastic is shiny, and cleans up easily.

That's what she said!

big_smile

Feb 24 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Angelo Lorenzo

Simi Valley, California, US

When crap like that comes up, just charge her and do it.

I got hired to shoot a portrait for a friend of a friends 18th birthday. They want a large print so they can frame it and have party goers sign the overmat around it. Good idea until they told me they want a picture in front of roses with everything in black and white but the roses in color.

SELECTIVE COLOR DRIVES ME INSANE.

I think it's one of the most cleché pseudo-intelectual effects ever. On the other hand I'm getting paid so I'm going to do it and smile.

It's just a swallow your pride type of thing and just think you can go out and have a nice dinner for 2 hours worth of photoshopping.

Feb 24 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

NinoRoy

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

i don't even bother photoshopping the skin of my models (which is why i'm pretty selective with who i work with).

first off, the really plastically skin doesn really appeal to me, for the same reasons you cited - i rather take b&w pictures with hard lighting than overly guassian blur a model's skin. secondly, it's not my style to make skin look plastically. by that request, i would be venturing into uncharted territories and i wouldn't be comfortable doing something i really don't believe in.

Feb 24 06 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Because she is 15 and has no idea of what the modleing market is all about.

Feb 24 06 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Shan L Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

L Foto wrote:
I got a request from a young model (15) that requested that I photoshop her photos from a TFP shoot to make her skin look smooth.  She wanted the Barbie doll look for the photo (or as I refer to it – plastic skin).   She was wanting the pictures so that she could enter them for most photogenic in a high school beauty contest.   But what I don’t understand is how a photo that has been overly photoshop can win for most photogenic.   This plastic skin look does not show how photogenic you are, or how good the photographer is, it only show that someone can use photoshop.  I have a really problem with young girls (this one with beautiful skin) want it to look fake in order to win.  Can someone enlighten me as to how fake and overly photoshoped equates with photogenic?

I can understand what you mean. But I personally like the look if it's not over done..I'm actually trying to learn more and more about it. Every single model I've known, wants that look. Really, that look can typically make most people LOOK better, I mean who doesn't want to APPEAR as if they have smooth skin? LOL. I guess it's about preference because I know I'm definitely not a fan of straight, no color corrected, portrait looking images, that have no fashionable or creative appeal. To me, it doesn't differ from Olan Mills or senior head looking images and I even hated those when I was in High school, lol. So I suppose it's preference...

Feb 25 06 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Shan L Photography

Doug Lester wrote:
Because she is 15 and has no idea of what the modleing market is all about.

I think now a days, you'd be hard pressed to find MANY images in any magazine that haven't been retouched, whether it's taking out blemishes, smoothing skin, etc., etc. People who retouch them are just VERY VERY VERY good at doing it, that it's definitely not that noticeable. The whole industry is smoke and mirrors in my opinion, anyway...I've had the opportunity to meet a good number of celebs and models..95% of them very different than in the images. I don't see the difference in retouching a model's skin now a days with the computer, and how they used to do it (and still do) with filters. It's all an illusion to me.

Feb 25 06 01:21 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Shan L Photography wrote:

I think now a days, you'd be hard pressed to find MANY images in any magazine that haven't been retouched, whether it's taking out blemishes, smoothing skin, etc., etc. People who retouch them are just VERY VERY VERY good at doing it, that it's definitely not that noticeable. The whole industry is smoke and mirrors in my opinion, anyway...I've had the opportunity to meet a good number of celebs and models..95% of them very different than in the images. I don't see the difference in retouching a model's skin now a days with the computer, and how they used to do it (and still do) with filters. It's all an illusion to me.

Of course all photos are retouched. I've no probem at all with that; with removing blemishes, but human skin, well human skin. It has pores, it has texture and that texture is beautiful. When skin begins to look like something made by Matel, then it's no longer human skin.  Human eyes do not 'glow', when they are P'shoped to such an extent that they look like something from Alpha Centauri, then they no longer look human. I strongly believe that models should look human. Martians, Alpha Centaurans and others who like non human 'looks' are free to disagree with me. 

The only question is that of degree. Do we remove flaws or do we remove humanity. I human skin or wax/plastic more attractive?

Feb 25 06 01:43 am Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

San Diego, California, US

L Foto wrote:
Model wants plastic skin...Why?

Because that's what's in.  It's mainstream.  They do it in magazines all the time.  It's what people want it... give it to them.

For the same reason why some girls want plastic boobs.

smile

Feb 25 06 06:24 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Because people simply have wonderful taste, don't they?

*Honestly* Because people who don't know what a photograph is all about think that a "professional-looking package" makes them more appealing, a bit like the fairly cute looking guy who, once he's on stage behind a microphone in front of 20,000 screaming teenage fans he's a superbabe. And people who don't know photography think that plastic skin is somehow "professional" instead of what it really is, which is a contrived cliche that makes no sense whatsoever and generally makes them look like "Joe Bob the Internet Guy" shot them.

But they don't know that.

Feb 25 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Everybody has their likes and dislikes...that's the beauty of this world...diversity!

Feb 25 06 10:42 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Because people simply have wonderful taste, don't they?

Isn't the plastic skin look just a theme/style like anything else?  To do it right probably takes some skill on the part of the MUA.  I have seen some well-done ads on some of the fashion mags that make the models look like mannequins.  -The shots make you look twice. Sounds like a fun challenge to shoot.  I think it would be easier to do the effect with a young model with clear skin to begin with.  Everyone has different taste when it comes to art, otherwise there would be no sense in trying new and different things.  As for the 15 year old, she has a fresh new view of the world that is uncluttered with the all the expectations that us old folks have about art. 

Hmm... maybe I will try some plastic shots, any takers? smile

Feb 25 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Shan L Photography

Doug Lester wrote:

Of course all photos are retouched. I've no probem at all with that; with removing blemishes, but human skin, well human skin. It has pores, it has texture and that texture is beautiful. When skin begins to look like something made by Matel, then it's no longer human skin.  Human eyes do not 'glow', when they are P'shoped to such an extent that they look like something from Alpha Centauri, then they no longer look human. I strongly believe that models should look human. Martians, Alpha Centaurans and others who like non human 'looks' are free to disagree with me. 

The only question is that of degree. Do we remove flaws or do we remove humanity. I human skin or wax/plastic more attractive?

Honestly I really don't care, lol women in photographs don't NATURALLY have red, glossy brown, lips, some don't even have fuller lips, blonde hair, brown hair, black hair, and then there's contact Lenses. Some women wear bra pad fill ins, some wear fake hair, some wear wigs, some men put socks in their pants in the underwear photo shoots. There are so many ways to photo shop, and retouch skin that I'm not really getting a clear view as to what you mean. But it seems you're really passionate about it, I say just don't offer it and it'll be one less thing you have to do I suppose.

Feb 25 06 11:39 am Link