Forums > General Industry > Assumptions...

Model

Nika

Lynn, Alabama, US

Why is it everyone who knows nothing about modeling assumes that you have to spend THOUSANDS of dollars to get started as a model? And no one believes in the exchange that is tfp/cd...
Has this happened to anyone? How do you respond to the "YEH RIIIIGHT" ?

Jun 23 05 11:14 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Some agency models think it's a waste of time to do TFP when they could hire 4 published shooters and use the 5 best shots from each to put a better portfolio together in a month than most TFP models will have in a year.

But it depends on how much you think you can make as a model and how long you are willing to wait to stumble upon a photographer online that can shoot what an agency is looking for.

For example, there are very few images in your port that would be in the professional model port I described.

Jun 23 05 11:19 am Link

Model

Nika

Lynn, Alabama, US

but I am not talking about big time or even making money, but just doing it as a source of expression. For self-fullfilment for example, people think its impossible.

Jun 23 05 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

The lucky few don't need to do anything except walk into an agency, which will then put them in front of the right photographers.

For everyone else, it depends how quickly you want to build a portfolio, and what kind of photos you want.  It's true that the odds of getting technically competent photos first try are better if you're willing to pay, but then if a model wants to spend money, why not go for someone with national name recognition?  I'm not really sure what the small studio guy in a medium sized city has to offer here beyond technical competence.

If you can recognize quality work and don't mind dealing with the angst of setting things up, then tfp/tfcd works just fine.  There are a lot of very talented art photographers out there.   There are also a lot of relative newcomers who might only nail the technical side half the time but have a fresh creative vision very different from the pro who last moved his lights six months ago.  These guys might not know what's in with the right agencies or clients this month, but that only matters if you're seeking work in those places.

So, it depends on your goals.

Jun 23 05 11:50 am Link

Model

Pinky

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Nika: 
Why is it everyone who knows nothing about modeling assumes that you have to spend THOUSANDS of dollars to get started as a model? And no one believes in the exchange that is tfp/cd...

I have this problem too.  Trying to explain why I do this is even harder.  For some reason those same people believe I should be getting paid thousands for what I do and yet they seem confused when I tell them that I just enjoy doing it. 

I respond by not saying anything.  I smile and listen to what they have to say.  Sometimes, I'm half tempted to ask for credentials, but I bite my tongue.

Jun 23 05 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

It works both ways - for photographers, too.

I'm not a pro photographer because I don't need to make a living at it. I've done portfolio work with full assignment for free because I enjoy doing it. And yes, I've been called foolish for doing so.

My reaction? I don't care. :-)

Jun 23 05 12:13 pm Link

Model

Jessika Rae

Akron, Ohio, US

My parents were really skeptical!  I just joined about a month in some ago, and when I told my mom I thought she would be really happy for me.  She was like, Oh honey I don't know if that's a good idea.  Primarily thinking, oh it's a scam - and you could get hurt if you don't know what you're doing.  A few years back I took modeling classes at a place called "Barbizon" - Useful, but not worth all that money!!  So my dad was like, "Jessika, we spent so much money for that modeling class you took and you didn't do anything with it.  Now you're going to end up spending money at this."  -blah blah blah-
To their skepticism I told them that I can make "right" choices and that I "usually always" use my brian.  That they should trust in my decision making.  Well after a month of getting together with wonderful photos, I collected quite a bit of pictures together.  All of them extremely beautiful.  I showed my mom and she was more than impressed, especially when I told her they were TFP!  She couldn't believe her eyes. I showed my dad, and he was pretty impressed but still the pessimist inside- he said "Oh well you know they'll be making a lot off of you"  So I tend to ignore him.

Really you just gotta tell people, trust in the decision I am making.  I've got a brian and I'll use it.  If I make a mistake, trust in me that I will learn from it and be aware.  When you have photos to show them of all you'r hard work, they'll be eatting their words.  If not, then they're jealous or really thick headed!

Jun 23 05 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by DigOutURblueyes: 
...I "usually always" use my brian...I've got a brian and I'll use it. 

I recommend that all models get a Brian and use it...

I think the real problem is that most of the marketing to prospective models is done by scammers, who contend that anyone with above average attractiveness can be a supermodel--if only they purchase this affordable, several-thousand-dollar photography package. 

Jun 23 05 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Pinky: 

Posted by Nika: 

I have this problem too.  Trying to explain why I do this is even harder.  For some reason those same people believe I should be getting paid thousands for what I do and yet they seem confused when I tell them that I just enjoy doing it. 

I respond by not saying anything.  I smile and listen to what they have to say.  Sometimes, I'm half tempted to ask for credentials, but I bite my tongue.

So true Pinky!

I've had many people ask me why I do tfp and why I don't charge more for my artistic work. I do it because I'm compelled to. My artistic side needs to express itself somehow and I'd rather spend time behind the camera and computer than let that force inside turn into something self destructive. I'm bipolar and one of my triggers is keeping my feelings locked up inside.
I only create my art for one person initially, me. If someone can find a bit of themselves or at least somewhat relate to my art, then I know I'm not alone in my thoughts.

Jun 23 05 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

TFP/CD has many benefits for both the model and photographer. Those benefits change with the level you shoot at and what your goals and styles are.

I've been doing TFCD at a mad rate, with models of different levels of experience, and my work has improved greatly over what I used to shoot, which has sharpened my skills and allowed me access to a wider range of paying work. The newer models are gaining valuable experience that they will take with them to the next level of their careers. It's a symbiotic experience.

I'm also working with a young makeup artist who is blossoming before my eyes and now getting paid work because of our association.

Only when we've honed our skills, crafted the confidence and  have experience under our belts should we place ourselves in a higher echelon of talent. There are some prodigies in every field, but for most of us regular folks, we need to cut our teeth first. Putting a green model with a seasoned photographer may not be the ideal situation, or vice-versa with an amateur photographer. Together we grow, teach and learn. TFP/CD is a sensible choice, provided you've reasearched those you will be working with and their work.

Jun 23 05 02:29 pm Link

Model

accessqianam

Detroit, Michigan, US

The negative stigma on TFCD/TFP has gotten way out of hand.
TFP/TFCD use to be about even exchange meaning both the model and photographer gets what he/she wants. Usually for the model its images and the photographer its an opportunity to update his/her portfolio, try out new equipment, style of photography or a concept even

Sure the photographer has to get paid. Sometimes its not all about money. There are some flake models out there and YES flake photographers who have made the tfp/tfcd arrangement a bad one. That doesnt mean all models and all photographers should be generalized. Ive worked with quite a few photographers where we BOTH got something out of the shoot with little or NO money involved

Artistic expression is a key part of a shoot. No matter how much you are paying, if you dont have vision, a concept and chemistry your pictures wont turn out good anyway. And what agency, model or photographer wants that

Warmest regards

Qiana M
model.actress.fashion stylist

Jun 23 05 02:57 pm Link