Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Makeup artists and agency testing

Photographer

Gabriel

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I am planning on hitting local agencies once my portfolio is done, and seeking some testing. I'd like to bring the MUA I will likely be working with on the remainder of my book, would most agencies be cool with that or will they want me to use their people?

And what can she expect in terms of a fee, once we start charging (I know, the first couple of times it's a free trial run)? Or do I just charge my own fee that would include hers, and we split it later?

She's just starting out and could use the experience (as could I, really), but I don't want her to get shortchanged.

Feb 25 06 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Gabriel

Someone with experience in this, pleeeease reply smile

Feb 27 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

most all the legit mainstream agencies have websites where you can see what type photos they're using to promote their talent; part of your homework will be to make sure your Book represents the kind of work the photographers on their "list" (yes, it exists) do ...

the MUA: the agency will likely expect their photographers to have their act together; likely would include the MUA also passing muster with the agency in being able to do the type make-up they expect for their people ...

hope this helps! g'luck!

fml

Feb 27 06 02:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

Los Angeles, California, US

Include her fee in your rate- it also makes it look like you come with a team and have your act together. Good luck!

Feb 27 06 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Gabriel

Thanks, guys. I was figuring something like that but didn't want to go in lookin' too green, so I figured I'd ask first smile

Feb 28 06 08:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

DNMake-up

New York, New York, US

Include make-up in your fee, artists generally get $100 if they do both light hair and make-up. I would recommend going to mid level the agencies right away and build your book with their girls. The comment you will hear the most when trying to get paid tests is "you need better girls in your book" once you have good girls, then "you need more tear sheets" smile it's hard to get the agencies to recommend girls to you for pay and politics have play a major role, but, once you are on the list,  it'll have been worth all the work.

Daniel

Mar 01 06 12:23 pm Link