Forums > Photography Talk > Photography Shortcut Rules of Thumb

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I have been wanting to compile a "rule of thumb" list for years... after I couldn't remember one particular one... and since then... it's always in the back of my mind.

Something like:

When to use a tripod... if the exposure time is less than the focal length, e.g. the exposure time is showing at 1/100s but your focal length is 200mm, then you have to use a tripod.

I am sure there is a shorter more precise description, but you all know what I mean anyway.

Now... there are many rules like that, which could be considered short cuts during a photoshoot and I wonder who else can contribute some... so that we maybe able to put a list of usefull tips together that some photographers may find usefull (including me!)

Jun 23 05 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Here's two off the top of my head:

Generally:

The eye closest to the camera should be in sharp focus.

When the model's head is turned, the tip of the nose should not break the line created by her cheek.

Hope this thread stays useful.

Jun 23 05 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

C'mon guys... there must be more shortcut rules... and I am sure you must know them all...

Jun 24 05 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

If you can not see the subject use IR film?

:-P

Ok, I am definately the wrong person to be posting in this thread.......

Jun 24 05 10:31 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Question is what stuff you want. All the general photography stuff is easier to find in a good book.

I'm interested in tips for model photography, remembering how I used to overlook stray hairs and spent way too much time cleaning up in PS.

So, shortcut rule: watch out for stray hairs.

It sounds so obvious now...

Jun 24 05 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Posted by JvR: 
Question is what stuff you want. All the general photography stuff is easier to find in a good book.

I'm interested in tips for model photography, remembering how I used to overlook stray hairs and spent way too much time cleaning up in PS.

So, shortcut rule: watch out for stray hairs.

It sounds so obvious now...

This could be restated in general terms as:  The minutes you spend getting the shot right in the camera will save you hours in photoshop later.

I completely agree, BTW.

Jun 24 05 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

If you don't have a light meter and want to iteratively get the exposure for a scene, use a digital camera and a piece of white paper and black paper. Shoot them and adjust the exposure until you see the histogram turn into 2 deeply divided bars at the white and black end.

Digcams make good light/flash meters- that's why I got my first one.

mjr.

Jun 24 05 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by LarryB: 
The eye closest to the camera should be in sharp focus.

I'm laughing at myself because I was just about to post the OPPOSITE advice. Depending on your depth of field I focus on the eye FARTHEST from the camera because if the DOF is shallow I'm likely to also have the closest one in the sharp zone as well.

I'd re-state this philosophy as "focus on the center plane of the image and adjust the rest with DOF"

mjr.

Jun 24 05 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

If you're doing a larger shoot with lots of assistants, my "Rules of Filmmaking" might apply, but it's not so much dealing with the camera as creating a professional environment.

Jun 24 05 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Posted by LarryB: 

This could be restated in general terms as:  The minutes you spend getting the shot right in the camera will save you hours in photoshop later.

An even better general rule of thumb would be to think about how much time it will take to get something "right" in the camera vs how long it will take in postproduction, then pick the solution which saves time to get to the same quality.

Sometimes it's faster to fix it in post. (Not often, but if you ignore the possibility, you're spending too much time.)

More general rule: LOOK at the scene. Don't see what you want to see--look at what's there. Stray hairs, cords or cables in the background, the edge of the backdrop, undesirable wrinkles or folds, etc.

Jun 24 05 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Nazarko

Lebanon, New Jersey, US

Posted by Marcus J. Ranum: 

I'd re-state this philosophy as "focus on the center plane of the image and adjust the rest with DOF"

mjr.

Actually, the rule of thumb for perceived depth of field is 1/3 of DOF is in front of the focus point, 2/3 is behind.  Shooting running and leaping dancers (who passed through a 12 foot zone of white seamless and studio lights at some angle determined by them), which required pre-focusing and praying your DOF was right, made that bit of knowledge really, really useful.

Jun 26 05 01:47 pm Link