Forums > General Industry > non-nude nudes

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Ok, since the "I don't do nudes" thing has been covered, I got a question, mainly for models, If you have on your profile no nudes, and you also have a picture of yourself in see-through lingerie (I am referring to one image in particular where you can see everything through the lingerie including the fact she is partially shaved etc...)
What does that mean?

Is there a difference in your mind between complete see through, and nude?

Just curious, and want to add to my growing pyschological profile of models :-)

Jun 23 05 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Rodgers

DELAND, Florida, US

I know this question is aimed at the models, but in my humble opinion, technically speaking, since the shear photograph displays all the models natural wonders (nipples, pelvic region, etc), it would be considered nude.

Some people have a different frame of mind though, and I to, am curious on how others will respond to this post

Jun 23 05 01:29 pm Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

If you can see the fun parts than its no real different from posing nude. Technically in that situation the model is wearing clothes but if you can see though them than that should be considered a "nude" photo.
I personally don't understand models who refuse to do nudes but end up showing all anyway. It kinda defets the point of not posing nude.

Jun 23 05 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

I've heard many models refer to "clothed nudes" as "sheers" [clothing]. I don't get it, either. Maybe sheers are a "gateway" into proper nudes? The worst are rubber falsies. I had to recently paint a pair out through a mesh shirt in Photoshop. The model looked like Barbarella and they didn't match her skin. I would have been fine either with a bra underneath or the "fun parts", as Leila says.

In any event, it's probably best for the photographer not to be nude during the shoot. Sheer is fine. wink

Jun 23 05 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

It's the same old song.  This is all about the model finding a label to make herself comfortable with what she's doing. 

Jun 23 05 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Kiran Patil

Newark, Delaware, US

I've discussed this at length with agencies, clients, models and other photographers. There seem to be an industry standard which I have compiled. I'm writing an on-line nude photography & modeling guide for beginners and enthusiasts. I hope this helps some of you and if you think I've made a mistake please let me know. I'd like to hear back from photographers and models with experience.

IMPLIED NUDE refers to a photo where a model's "naughty bits" are hidden from view by careful posing of arms, legs and various props.  Models normally wear a plain black or white bikini and are carefully posed to hide their bikini from view. The poses and shooting angles are restricted but with planning and creativity the results can be good.

COVERED NUDE involves a model who is fully nude in front of the photographer but the photos produced are tastefully posed to avoid photographing the genital regions including a woman's breasts. It's much like an Implied Nude but since the model is fully nude, there is more freedom in choosing the angles and poses.

SHEER & WET  both have the same goal of showing a model nude behind a material that is opaque enough to hide detail of the body but hint at nudity. Sheer refers to a translucent material that may be in the form of clothing, several meters of fabric wrapped around the body or a large piece of fabric hung from the ceiling between the model and photographer. Wet is when a model is wearing clothing made of thin fabric that is soaked with water. The result is a form fitting and sometimes translucent effect. Both are considered sexually enticing.

PARTIAL NUDE OR SEMI NUDE is exactly what it says and is used when speaking about models who are comfortable being topless in a session but want to keep a thong or a wrap around their waist. Some models consider exposing their buttocks as permissible. Of all the Pose Styles you will find that Partial Nude is the most ambiguous. The model and photographer who agree to a Partial Nude shoot should discuss clearly what is permissible and what is not. If you skip this discussion, it could lead to disaster on set when obvious discrepancy of definitions arise.

FULL NUDE is when a model is completely nude and neither the photographer or model is concerned with what is visible and what isn't during the shoot. This type of shoot offers the most freedom in posing and shooting. When shooting female models it is generally understood that the photographer will scrap any photos that show her vulva. If not, then the photos are often considered Adult.

There are more categories but they don't really apply to this thread.

ciao,

Kiran

Jun 23 05 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Kiran Patil: 
I've discussed this at length with agencies, clients, models and other photographers. There seem to be an industry standard which I have compiled. I'm writing an on-line nude photography & modeling guide for beginners and enthusiasts. I hope this helps some of you and if you think I've made a mistake please let me know. I'd like to hear back from photographers and models with experience.

IMPLIED NUDE refers to a photo where a model's "naughty bits" are hidden from view by careful posing of arms, legs and various props.  Models normally wear a plain black or white bikini and are carefully posed to hide their bikini from view. The poses and shooting angles are restricted but with planning and creativity the results can be good.

COVERED NUDE involves a model who is fully nude in front of the photographer but the photos produced are tastefully posed to avoid photographing the genital regions including a woman's breasts. It's much like an Implied Nude but since the model is fully nude, there is more freedom in choosing the angles and poses.

SHEER & WET  both have the same goal of showing a model nude behind a material that is opaque enough to hide detail of the body but hint at nudity. Sheer refers to a translucent material that may be in the form of clothing, several meters of fabric wrapped around the body or a large piece of fabric hung from the ceiling between the model and photographer. Wet is when a model is wearing clothing made of thin fabric that is soaked with water. The result is a form fitting and sometimes translucent effect. Both are considered sexually enticing.

PARTIAL NUDE OR SEMI NUDE is exactly what it says and is used when speaking about models who are comfortable being topless in a session but want to keep a thong or a wrap around their waist. Some models consider exposing their buttocks as permissible. Of all the Pose Styles you will find that Partial Nude is the most ambiguous. The model and photographer who agree to a Partial Nude shoot should discuss clearly what is permissible and what is not. If you skip this discussion, it could lead to disaster on set when obvious discrepancy of definitions arise.

FULL NUDE is when a model is completely nude and neither the photographer or model is concerned with what is visible and what isn't during the shoot. This type of shoot offers the most freedom in posing and shooting. When shooting female models it is generally understood that the photographer will scrap any photos that show her vulva. If not, then the photos are often considered Adult.

There are more categories but they don't really apply to this thread.

ciao,

Kiran

man...this sounds like a lot to think about...i don't envy you legitimate photographers one bit.

Jun 23 05 04:37 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

We had this question before. Many people perceive sheer clothing that reveal all the dirty bits less revealing than actual nudity and are therefore more comfortable with it. It's hard to say how much of this is cause and how much is effect, but sheer clothing is common in high fashion rinway while uncovered nudity is not.

Jun 23 05 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

God bless america, where hinting and teasing are somehow ok
but just getting used to a naked body, like in europe, is somehow perceived as bad.  Personally, I find the teasing trite, but it has its intended effect for most folks.  C'est la Fotografie.....

Jun 23 05 04:56 pm Link

Model

SAPPHIRE237

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I think there is a difference between totally nude and being nude under sheer drapes. I would feel more comfortable being nude under something,than being totally nude out in the open. Although I am gettign ready to do my first nude photo shoot. But I completely understand those models that say that they don't do need and pose nude under sheer drapes.

Jun 23 05 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

There are a few things i think should be identified for this question. Models mainly put No-Nude on thier profile to deter pervs who are just looking for nude shots. The other is because they will not do "Adult" style nudes. My opinion is that any model will do Partial or Implied nudity if she is comfortable with the photographer and she/he thinks it will benefit them or both.
Most put it in thier profile simply because if the photog is creapy she/he can point that out to her/him.
There is not a model alive that would pass up good nude or implied photos if they will benefit in some way.
The issue with "See Thru" clothing is a fine line. The clothing may not have been see-thru by the naked eye but with lighting set up a certain way, it was see-thru. You can walk down the street and take a photo of someone and have it show up as see-thru and not know about it until you see the frame/photo.
On the other hand you can go to a non-nude site of girls 18 and over and even though it is a non-nude site and they do not allow nudity, the girl wear stuff that is see-thru and it is allowed. The premise there is they have clothing on but you can see alot. 

Jun 23 05 06:04 pm Link

Model

Leila

Posted by SAPPHIRE237: 
I think there is a difference between totally nude and being nude under sheer drapes. I would feel more comfortable being nude under something,than being totally nude out in the open. Although I am gettign ready to do my first nude photo shoot. But I completely understand those models that say that they don't do need and pose nude under sheer drapes.

I guess I see how wearing something, even if its see-though, could make a someone feel more comfortable. Personally I feel that see-though is more sexual than nudes.

Jun 23 05 06:27 pm Link

Model

Leila

Posted by Peter Dattolo: 

There is not a model alive that would pass up good nude or implied photos if they will benefit in some way.

Not really. I know some models who have kids and don't want naked pictures of themselves floating around. Other people just plain don't feel comfortable with the concept of being paid to get naked.

Jun 23 05 06:31 pm Link

Model

Lisa Fortier

Cocoa, Florida, US

Oh heck, just give it a new lable since there doesn't seem to be enough of those in this profession already...hmmmm....lets see...how bout be call it sheerly neekid.  we've got the sheer part taken care of and there is no use of the word "nude"  its all masked like nudity is under sheer cloth.

Jun 23 05 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Models are often caught in the middle, between boyfriends/girlfriends, plus parents and other friends.

I have had models say that they had promised their boyfriend that they would not pose fully nude. By posing in something sheer, and see through, they could look the guy in the face and say that I did not pose nude, I had clothes on in all of the poses.

One of my best models, Erin Ervin,  always kept her panties on. Sometimes it was only around one foot, and out of the view of the camera, but the panties were not off of her body. We laughed about this a lot, but she could say to her guy that she had kept her word, and not posed fully nude.

(The webs we weave)

Jun 23 05 06:42 pm Link

Model

Aurora

Dallas, Georgia, US

If somebody were wearing something 100% sheer and particularly if I could see downstairs, then I would wonder why no nudes. Unless it says 'no longer doing nudes' or 'not doing nudes at the time being', then maybe it was just in the past and they like that particular one. I guess it would depend on what else was in the folio.

Ugh, the heat has impaired me.

Jun 23 05 07:49 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Leila: 

Posted by Peter Dattolo: 

Not really. I know some models who have kids and don't want naked pictures of themselves floating around. Other people just plain don't feel comfortable with the concept of being paid to get naked.

What she said. Some people really honestly will not get naked and mean what they say.

Jun 23 05 10:28 pm Link