Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > The Sex Pistols.....

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

This is great...  The Sex Pistols still true to form...

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entne … 24000.html

Feb 26 06 09:52 am Link

Model

K-a-t-r-i-n-a

Newburyport, Massachusetts, US

Sex pistols and the clash are awesome

Feb 26 06 09:58 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Classic!
God Save the Queen, the Fascist Regime...

Feb 26 06 10:00 am Link

Photographer

theedge

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Filth & Fury funny movie... Spinal Tap in real life....

I would take The Clash over Sex Pistols...

Feb 26 06 10:57 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I'm sure it's a publicity stunt. Pretty much everything John Lydon has done since 1978 was a publicity stunt. Prior to 1978, it was Malcom McLarhen's publicity stunt.

The Sex Pistols were the Monkees of punk rock.

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

Feb 26 06 11:07 am Link

Model

K-a-t-r-i-n-a

Newburyport, Massachusetts, US

theedge wrote:
I would take The Clash over Sex Pistols...

oh of course... what's your favorite clash song? I love all of them but my ultimate fave song is "straight to hell" or um I don't know the name of this song, but it's the one that starts with "We met when we were at school, never took no shit from no one we were cool"

Love them!

Feb 26 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

J Haig

Gananoque, Ontario, Canada

theda wrote:

How very, very true.

Feb 26 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

theedge

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

K-a-t-r-i-n-a wrote:

oh of course... what's your favorite clash song? I love all of them but my ultimate fave song is "straight to hell" or um I don't know the name of this song, but it's the one that starts with "We met when we were at school, never took no shit from no one we were cool"

Love them!

"Police On My Back " and there version "I Fought The Law" & "Train In Vain"

Feb 26 06 11:14 am Link

Model

UlyraViolet

Los Angeles, California, US

Personally , I like "flogging a dead horse" but my hubby likes "now I wanna be your dog"   thank you sex pistols!

Feb 26 06 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

bpvalentine

Tampa, Florida, US

I like some of The Monkees songs...didn't Sex Pistols cover one of their songs?  Stepping Stone?    I like The Sex Pistols, too.  I don't think there is a lot of credibility in dismissing the impact of the Sex Pistols by calling them The Monkees though.  Rotten is the same as he has always been, but nobody is afraid of him anymore.  Making a public spectacle is part of what the Sex Pistols were all about.

Feb 26 06 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

theda wrote:

theda again reinforces my obsessive love for her with a single sentence of brilliant, razor-sharp sarcasm.

Damn, she's good.

Feb 26 06 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

Whilst not wishing to namedrop, I would like to point out that I regularly used to have lunch with Malcolm McLaren's father.

Feb 26 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Studio MLP

Racine, Wisconsin, US

Quote from the Sex Pistols web page..

====

The Sex Pistols ARE punk, the rest are 'punk-rock', BIG difference...

Feb 26 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Ryan Images

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

How can you not love John Lydon?
Cuts through the crap and says what anyone else would be afraid to say, regardless of the consequence.
Just recently finished re-reading his autobiography and as much of an arse as he comes off as, he speaks alot of truth.
And he's just so dang entertaining.

Feb 26 06 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

theda wrote:
I'm sure it's a publicity stunt. Pretty much everything John Lydon has done since 1978 was a publicity stunt. Prior to 1978, it was Malcom McLarhen's publicity stunt.

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

mr lydon redeemed himself with much of the early pil stuff, although keith levine had alot to do with it.  some of my favorite music ever.

ever see johnny rotten on judge judy?  funny stuff.

Feb 26 06 03:26 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Were the Sex Pistols punk instead of punk rock becuase they couldn't play their instruments? They have learned since then, but still...

bpvalentine wrote:
I like some of The Monkees songs...didn't Sex Pistols cover one of their songs?  Stepping Stone?    I like The Sex Pistols, too.  I don't think there is a lot of credibility in dismissing the impact of the Sex Pistols by calling them The Monkees though.  Rotten is the same as he has always been, but nobody is afraid of him anymore.  Making a public spectacle is part of what the Sex Pistols were all about.

The Monkees also had a major impact on the music industry.  They were the first in a long, long line of corporate rock bands and were instrumental in the birth of MTV. Actually, their impact was substantially greater than the Sex Pistols in many ways. Both bands were corporate brain children of business men. But the Pistols were marketed most ironically as being anti-corporate while sucking an unbelievable amount of corporate cock. You're right; the Sex Pistols WERE all about being a public spectacle, which is a major reason why so few people really into punk have any respect for them.  They had nothing to say, but they said it loudly.

But "Rotten" is not the same as he's always been. For starters, he dropped that silly pseudonym in 1978. Instead of screaming "Anarchy in the UK," he bitches about low voter turn out. I give Lydon credit for being so quickly disillusioned and PIL did put out a lot of great stuff, but the spirit of youthful dissonance he ain't.  Mostly he's just an arrogant prick who enjoys listening to himself talk.

Feb 26 06 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

theda wrote:
Were the Sex Pistols punk instead of punk rock becuase they couldn't play their instruments? They have learned since then, but still...

The Monkees also had a major impact on the music industry.  They were the first in a long, long line of corporate rock bands and were instrumental in the birth of MTV. Actually, their impact was substantially greater than the Sex Pistols in many ways. Both bands were corporate brain children of business men. But the Pistols were marketed most ironically as being anti-corporate while sucking an unbelievable amount of corporate cock. You're right; the Sex Pistols WERE all about being a public spectacle, which is a major reason why so few people really into punk have any respect for them.  They had nothing to say, but they said it loudly.

But "Rotten" is not the same as he's always been. For starters, he dropped that silly pseudonym in 1978. Instead of screaming "Anarchy in the UK," he bitches about low voter turn out. I give Lydon credit for being so quickly disillusioned and PIL did put out a lot of great stuff, but the spirit of youthful dissonance he ain't.  Mostly he's just an arrogant prick who enjoys listening to himself talk.

tell it sistah!

Feb 26 06 08:07 pm Link