Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > What would you do if...

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

... you just did a model's makeup and the photographer says it's perfect. the model excuses herself to go to the bathroom, comes back directly to the set and does the shoot, and when you're going through the images either you or the photographer notice she added/changed something?
In my instance, the model added black eyeliner and what's worse... we had done smokey eyes and she did the liner inside the lash-line which in the end made her eyes very small.
This is the first time this happens so I really wasn't paying that much attention... and I want to credit the stylist... but I don't want to put her name to a messed up look because the model decided she would mess it up...

Feb 27 06 03:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Not for nothing, but where was the makeup artist during the shoot?
Where was the makeup artist right before the model stepped in front of the camera?
Where the artist should have been was giving the makeup one last check before the model stepped in front of the camera.
Because I am anal, I always check the model right before they go on.  Often, I have been working intensely and chatting or whatnot.  I like to give my eyes a rest and have a fresh look after the model gets into wardrobe and checks herself.
I don't have an answer for what to do about the artist except this was a lesson to be learned.

Feb 27 06 08:23 am Link

Makeup Artist

Cristen Troop

Howell, New Jersey, US

Ummmm Choke her for messing up the shoot? lol j/k I agree with previous post, I always check, check and recheck the model. It should of been noticed my the MUA but if the pics didnt come out good, scratch em and chalk it up as lesson learned. Or , can you not photshop out what the model did to herself to save the pics and everyones efforts if other wise the pics were good? And I would make it a point to tell the model, no pics now because of what you did, and you dont want to be credited with bad pics. Just my opinion
Cristen

Feb 27 06 08:29 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

i HATE HATE HATE that.

i would ask the sylist what his/her opinion is on it.

Feb 27 06 08:54 am Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

Tracey Masterson wrote:
Not for nothing, but where was the makeup artist during the shoot?

Uhh yeah, HELLOOOOO???  I wouldn't use that MUA ever again.  I always check the model b4 she goes in for the shoot and even during cos if she tears or gets shiny or anything of that nature, I'm there to powder her up and fix anything that needs to be fixed.

The thought of someone even touching the make-up job that I just did makes my nerves get on edge.

Feb 27 06 09:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Yisell wrote:

Uhh yeah, HELLOOOOO???  I wouldn't use that MUA ever again.  I always check the model b4 she goes in for the shoot and even during cos if she tears or gets shiny or anything of that nature, I'm there to powder her up and fix anything that needs to be fixed.

The thought of someone even touching the make-up job that I just did makes my nerves get on edge.

when I am slow I charge $200.00 for a makeup and go.  This is a makeup/hair and your on your own price.   Many artists do this for models when they do not want to pay the 1/2 day rate...  In cases like this I do not check the model before she goes on camera because frankly I could care less....I was paid for the application and now shes on her own. 

If its a test (unpaid) and the artist didnt notice the bathroom run she hasnt been doing this long because thats what amatuer models do and if youre ever working with an amateur you need to always check them when they come out of the bathroom.

If it was an unpaid test and you and the artist are not proud of the shots because of what the model did, I wouldnt let them out, it will embarrass both of you.

Feb 27 06 09:51 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

I think it was a very rude move on the model's part because the makeup artist is supposed to be the one who knows the makeup, or else there would not be a need for a makeup artist

Now, I will say that if the model paid the makeup artist and was not happy with the job, she could have said something, but maybe she really didn't feel comfortable with the job...that is a tiny tiny bit more excusable then if the photographer paid for the makeup artist, or if it was a test/tfp

i've had a few times where i wasn't happy with the makeup, but i would mention it (discretely) or I would live with it and trust the makeup artists. 99% of the time the pictures came out fine smile

Feb 27 06 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

This was a test with an "experienced" model. The make-up was done on my quarter, stylist applied it then I looked at it and it was perfect. The model stepped on-set, I took a pic and she excused herself to go to the bathroom. This was the last set of the shoot and we were running late for another commitment so we didn't look at her that closely that time. She didn't do this with any of the other sets so we didn't expect this at all.
I guess I will do as was said... don't let those shots out and chalk it up to experience.

Thanks.

Feb 27 06 11:23 am Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

I had one model do that to me.  I didn't say anything to her since she was not the one that hired me.  I spoke to the art director and he went to check it out.  The eyeliner she used began to run.  As a result I was asked to redo her eyes.  But I ended up redoing her makeup all together because the eyeliner smeared all under her eyes, so there was no way around it.  I had to clean her entire face and start new.

I've seen models go to the bathroom and redo their hair after the hairstylist was done.

I think there should be a rule that models cannot go to the bathroom once their hair and makeup are done.  I'm pretty sure that 9 times out of 10 the models don't need to use the bathroom right before the shoot begins.  They never want to eat or drink anything before the shoot begins anyways, they're afraid of looking bloated!

Melissa

Feb 27 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

That sucks. I'd probably slap her upside the head with a dead fish.

Feb 27 06 01:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Margoux Le Roux

Washington, District of Columbia, US

AlwaysMadeUp wrote:
That sucks. I'd probably slap her upside the head with a dead fish.

LMMFAO

Okay!

Feb 27 06 02:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I hear you....I have only had that happen once and the so called model was a bitch at that as well....It was a paid test shoot and she did the bathroom thing and changes her makeup a bit by removing some of the eye shadow and lip color, I noticed what she did but since her images were not going in my book I didn't give a flying poop and she pissed me off, I just let her stay messed up and when the images came back she said she didn't have enough on and tried to blame me and the photographer, until I confronted her about what she did and then she looked really dumb.....Not that professional of me, but oh well, some folks have to learn what their craft is.

Feb 27 06 02:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

I would say, make clarification when working with the model. Clarify that you are the artist, and you will apply in a way that looks suitable for the shoot and if there is something that the model doesn't like or wants to change, she can tell you when your finished and you can discuss it. I have never had a model change anything I have done..but there is usually a few words that come from the photog that goes something like this "This is my make-up artist, she is a professional and she will be doing your make-up today so that these pictures look wonderful" ..but hey..when it comes down to it..as a make-up artist I would give a final "look" at the model before she starts to shoot...its common sense.

Charissa

Feb 27 06 03:36 pm Link

Model

Sari

Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Why the hell would someone do that? I mean I wouldn´t even get the idea of changing my make up once the MUA is done cause I trust in that they know what they do. I may suggest things if they ask me something like "what coulour would you like to have" or bring some books about specific hairdos and make ups if they never  styled "pin up stuff" before but that´s it.

Feb 28 06 05:40 am Link