Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > When a woman has a baby

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

How soon do they go home? I was talking to my friend who's having a baby and she said they try to get you out of there next day!?! I know in other places they keep you in the hospital for at least 2 or 3 days. Thats a usual stay even without complications.

I dont know nothin' bout birthin' no babies.

Aug 01 08 05:08 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Electra T wrote:
How soon do they go home? I was talking to my friend who's having a baby and she said they try to get you out of there next day!?! I know in other places they keep you in the hospital for at least 2 or 3 days.

I think it depends.  But yeah, hospitals don't let people stay a long time for any reason anymore, unless like, they have to.

Aug 01 08 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Electra T wrote:
How soon do they go home? I was talking to my friend who's having a baby and she said they try to get you out of there next day!?! I know in other places they keep you in the hospital for at least 2 or 3 days. Is that healthy?

If you have a c-section, plan on being there a few days...

Aug 01 08 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

The Silencing Machine

South Amboy, New Jersey, US

Depends I guess.  Let me get back to you in Nov.

Aug 01 08 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

MelissaLynnette LaDiva wrote:
I think it depends.

It probably depends on what is covered by the mother's insurance.

>>>> Tangent Alert

Aug 01 08 05:14 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

The Silencing Machine wrote:

Awwww

November birthdays are awesome!

Aug 01 08 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

The Silencing Machine wrote:

LOL

Aug 01 08 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Pop Life Photography

Alexandria, Virginia, US

These days, an HMO makes that decision, and as such, as long as you don't get cut (C-Section), you will be out the door in 24 hours.

HMO's are now making special exceptions for Midwives, because their fees are far less than that of a hospital stay.

Aug 01 08 05:17 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

I think it depends.  But yeah, hospitals don't let people stay a long time for any reason anymore, unless like, they have to.

Thats soo horrible.

I just asked my mom though and she was like...she wanted to go home right after anyway.Staying there for 3days was a bitch.

Aug 01 08 05:22 pm Link

Model

Silvia Rho

Torrance, California, US

2-3 days is pretty normal. I stayed for 2 nights and I was perfectly healthy. They usually just do it for precautionary measures.

Aug 01 08 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

They'll let you stay as long as your insurance pays for it.

Aug 01 08 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

I'm thinking less than 72 hours. My sister had a baby at around midnight or so, she stayed there the next night, I don't think she stayed a second night though.

Aug 01 08 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Beaute de LeDeux-Shelly

Ashland, California, US

true enough, Kaisers with all their faults are the exception and tend to keep you a little while for observation, they must have it wired where they proffit from longer stays

Aug 01 08 05:30 pm Link

Model

Kelli

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My sister had complications, quite extreme actually, but she was there less then a day. They induced the labour, but he still wouldn't come, so they were going to do a c-section, but instead used a tube to draw the baby out.

But she spent most of the 9 months she was pregnant in the hospital.

Aug 01 08 05:34 pm Link

Model

egyptmachine

El Paso, Texas, US

I had a vaginal birth and I stayed there 2 days because I had an episiotimy (sp?) it was hell on Earth, I couldn't wait to go to my grandma's after that.

Aug 01 08 05:34 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

24 hours.

Unless you are on government funded medical assistance (medicaid) then its like 2.

Aug 01 08 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Hell, wussie modern women! hmm

Pioneer women traveling to California back in the covered wagon days would walk alongside the wagons until their water broke, then squat down and have the kid.  Then they'd get up, wipe off, tie the kid to their breast and keep walking.... tongue

...'course, they only lived to an average age of 35 back then.

But seriously, if it's a normal birth, there is no surgery, and the baby is healthy then there is no legitimate reason to stay more than 48 hours.  The few problems with newborns that are not apparent at birth usually appear within 48-72 hours.  New parents can be trained to look for symptoms, so it's not really necessary to keep everyone hospitalized.

In case nobody has noticed, most hospitals are ran as "for profit" businesses.  The longer you are there, the more profit they make.

Aug 01 08 05:50 pm Link

Model

Ora Fireflyz Hill

Portland, Oregon, US

Electra T wrote:
How soon do they go home? I was talking to my friend who's having a baby and she said they try to get you out of there next day!?! I know in other places they keep you in the hospital for at least 2 or 3 days. Thats a usual stay even without complications.

they let you go home ASAP which is good.  some people just birth at home, so it's really not that big of a deal.  you do need a good support team at home thought for the first couple of weeks.

Aug 01 08 06:08 pm Link

Model

iDEs3CvfYxiZmZLM4ZPR

San Francisco, California, US

Jim Ball wrote:
Hell, wussie modern women! hmm

Pioneer women traveling to California back in the covered wagon days would walk alongside the wagons until their water broke, then squat down and have the kid.  Then they'd get up, wipe off, tie the kid to their breast and keep walking.... tongue.

Everyone in my Oregon Trail game usually died of typhus before we got there...

Aug 01 08 06:13 pm Link

Model

-Jen-

Howell, Michigan, US

With my first baby, I was there 2 days, I had her at 12:26am and they wanted me out that afternoon.  I fainted after she was born and had to stay.

2nd baby, I wanted to go home the next day but the doctor wouldnt let the baby go home yet (he was jaundice) so I stayed 2 days.

3rd baby, I wanted to go home the next day but I had a complication the day I was supposed to go home (a 2nd placenta) and they made me stay 2 days to make sure I didnt bleed out. 

Fergy's was out of the hospital in 24 hours with 2 of her 4 kids. (one was a c-section)

Aug 01 08 06:26 pm Link

Model

Anne_C

Bellingham, Washington, US

With my son I had a normal vaginal birth & no complications... the hospital staff made me stay the first night, and offered the 2nd night (which I accepted).  I think my insurance would have allowed for up to 3 days, but I'm not sure and I'm too lazy to check.

Tell your friend with the impending baby to check how much/how long her insurance will pay for (PLEASE tell me she has insurance of some sort!)

Aug 01 08 07:09 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Anne_C wrote:
With my son I had a normal vaginal birth & no complications... the hospital staff made me stay the first night, and offered the 2nd night (which I accepted).  I think my insurance would have allowed for up to 3 days, but I'm not sure and I'm too lazy to check.

Tell your friend with the impending baby to check how much/how long her insurance will pay for (PLEASE tell me she has insurance of some sort!)

Yes! She does. Is baby birthin' expensive?

Aug 01 08 07:39 pm Link

Model

Anne_C

Bellingham, Washington, US

Good!  Tell her to call 'em ASAP and see what they cover, how much they cover, and what the exceptions are.

It certainly CAN be expensive, but that's not to say it will.  My son's birth only cost $2,200 (no complications, very little medication), and my insurance covered every dime.  My friend had last-minute complications and an emergency c-section, I think her bill was around $10,000, and her insurance only covered part of it.

Aug 01 08 08:06 pm Link

Model

miki kierulf

Image K wrote:

If you have a c-section, plan on being there a few days...

when i gave birth to my lil one, they made me go home after 2 days. i cant walk much yet but they told me i had to go home sad

Aug 01 08 08:10 pm Link

Model

Eric J Erk

Baltimore, Maryland, US

A good friend of mine gave birth at a birthing center and went back to work the next day...by choice.

Aug 01 08 08:22 pm Link

Model

TXModel525

Dallas, Georgia, US

Electra T wrote:

my sister was released the next night

Aug 01 08 08:26 pm Link

Model

Fergy

Fenton, Michigan, US

With my first child I went home 24 hours later,

Second one same thing- I had him at 920pm and we were home the next day by 6pm-we were in a birthing center.

Third, I had in a birthing center- and was SO ready to get home I felt great like I didn't even give birth!  They let me go home after 24hrs.  1 week later we were in the hospital with the baby for jauntice, what a nightmare!  She almost needed a blood transfusion her bilirubin was so high. 

The 4th was a csection.  OMG it sucked I had so many problems I was in the hospital for 3 days and was SO glad I had to stay!  That is standard for csections, anything more is only if there are problems with mom.

I worked in an OB office and honestly even though I felt great and left after 24 hours with 3 births it is risky to go home in 24 hrs.  In the offices I worked in we had our share of patients that had problems after being discharged, which made them have to go back to the hospital for further treatment.  Not something you want to do when you're a new mom trying to settle in.

If I were to do it again-HA fat chance- I would stay as long as the insurance allowed, and get some sleep! big_smile

**edit** I should note in Birthing Centers it is standard 24 hr stay ONLY.  Most women are chosing to have their babies there, instead of a actual hospital room.  Don't blame them its a whole new experience! smile

Aug 01 08 08:48 pm Link

Model

Feral Oneiric

Portland, Oregon, US

egyptmachine wrote:
I had a vaginal birth and I stayed there 2 days because I had an episiotimy (sp?) it was hell on Earth, I couldn't wait to go to my grandma's after that.

Same here, but it wasn't an episiotomy... I just up and tore.

Aug 01 08 11:35 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Fergy wrote:
With my first child I went home 24 hours later,

Second one same thing- I had him at 920pm and we were home the next day by 6pm-we were in a birthing center.

Third, I had in a birthing center- and was SO ready to get home I felt great like I didn't even give birth!  They let me go home after 24hrs.  1 week later we were in the hospital with the baby for jauntice, what a nightmare!  She almost needed a blood transfusion her bilirubin was so high. 

The 4th was a csection.  OMG it sucked I had so many problems I was in the hospital for 3 days and was SO glad I had to stay!  That is standard for csections, anything more is only if there are problems with mom.

I worked in an OB office and honestly even though I felt great and left after 24 hours with 3 births it is risky to go home in 24 hrs.  In the offices I worked in we had our share of patients that had problems after being discharged, which made them have to go back to the hospital for further treatment.  Not something you want to do when you're a new mom trying to settle in.

If I were to do it again-HA fat chance- I would stay as long as the insurance allowed, and get some sleep! big_smile

**edit** I should note in Birthing Centers it is standard 24 hr stay ONLY.  Most women are chosing to have their babies there, instead of a actual hospital room.  Don't blame them its a whole new experience! smile

What's a birthing center?

Aug 01 08 11:41 pm Link

Model

Tanya Weaver

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I was in for four days, but I also had a level 3 episiotomy and high blood pressure. I prob shouldnt have gone home when I did, but the nurse bluffed on my blood pressure, telling me she knew it wouldnt get any better with me stuck in bed stressing all day there.

My insurance at the time covered 2 nights for regular delivery, 3 for c section. They covered all 4 days of mine because of the health conditions, but everyday after the 2 days I was charged a co-pay of $150 in-patient fee. (total hospital charges for me and my son were well over $900 per day, but I only had the copay part)

Aug 01 08 11:51 pm Link

Model

SneakySexy

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Yeah...pretty much what everyone else said.  For a normal birth it's totally based on insurance coverage and hospital policy.  For my first son, I was told that 2 days was like hospital "policy" but my insurance covered 3 if I wanted to stay.

My second, I had gallstones but I think I was still only there for 3 days.

Aug 02 08 12:25 am Link

Model

Little Sayuri

Muncie, Indiana, US

Depends really. I was in the hospital for nearly 5 days. I had been in labor with my son for 26 1/2 hours. They NEVER took him c-section either. I had the epidural and all that great shit, but it never worked on my left side. My entire right side was numb, but I still felt everything on my left. I pushed for 3 hours to try and get him to come out and he crowned a bit, but that was it.

So, they ended up giving me a full episiotomy and used forceps to get him out. I was cut, torn, you name it down there. x_x It wasn't a pleasant experience. After that, they let me hemorrhage for about a day. They came in to get me up and the moment they sat me up, I passed out, so I was given a blood transfusion. They gave me 2 units of blood and vaguely remember all that time I spent in there because of how weak I was.

Anyway, sorry I didn't mean to go off on a tangent like that. Basically if you go through hell like that, you can expect to spend 4-5 days in there. However just recently, my sister had a baby and the hospital she went to made her stay 48 hours just to be safe, regardless of the fact that she did miraculously.

Aug 02 08 12:42 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

episiotomy

is
a
scary
word

Aug 02 08 12:46 am Link

Model

SneakySexy

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Electra T wrote:
episiotomy

is
a
scary
word

Two kids...completely natural....no episiotomy needed.  A good doctor knows how to prevent that from being necessary (yes yes there are exceptions) a lazy doctor cuts you.

Aug 02 08 12:55 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

SneakySexxy wrote:

Two kids...completely natural....no episiotomy needed.  A good doctor knows how to prevent that from being necessary (yes yes there are exceptions) a lazy doctor cuts you.

Yeah, my friend who is studying to be an ob/gyn said its not necessary in most cases. If the woman listens to the doctors pushing instructions, and the doctor gives good direction! That just seems so horrible! Like does everything go back to "normal" down there?

ahhhhh so scary.

Aug 02 08 12:59 am Link

Model

Heather LeStabbityDeath

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Danielle Leong wrote:

Mine too sad
I still love that game though.

Aug 02 08 01:02 am Link

Model

Fergy

Fenton, Michigan, US

Electra T wrote:
What's a birthing center?

Its connected to the hospital, you can choose the type of birth you want-for the most part.  A true Birthing Center allows you to move around throughout your delivery.  Where ever you want in the room- I had a rocking chair, tub, Exercise ball, squat bar.  Whatever way you can get comfortable and the Dr and nurses will do what you like.  They check the heartbeat at intervals and you aren't hooked up to a fetal monitor.  Also they will NOT check your cervix, give you an IV or an epidural.  Also, the Drs tend to not be so "cut happy" with episiotomies.  The nurses know other ways to help so you don't have to have a huge cut. 

Like with my 2nd pregnancy I only had a pain shot, no epidural.  The Dr didn't cut me, I just tore a bit, which was much better than with an epis.  My husband delivered the baby the rest of the way after one shoulder came out and held him while he cut the cord.  My 3rd I gave birth to her in a Gliding Rocking chair-seriously.  I had absolutely NO drugs whatsoever.  I walked, sat in the rocker, sat on the ball and then took a LONG bath.  When I got out I sat down in the rocker-buck naked, still wet from the tub and had her.  No cut, No IV, I delivered her.  The Dr got her head out, unwrapped the cord then I pulled her out the rest of the way myself and held her-we didn't know what she was, so I was the one that got to do the first check of what I had, not the Dr.  The birthing rooms were all different, they had the big room *the room I got* that had a Queen size bed, the bigger tub and the gliding rocker, and a sofa couch.  The other rooms had full size beds with a rocking chair.

If there seem to be any complications, you are transfered to a regular labor room-although some hospitals don't transfer anymore.  They just hook your ass up to all the equipment, give you an IV and its whatever the Dr says from there.

Crap, I just realized I pretty much typed a book.  Sorry LOL

Edit- yes your *stuff* goes back to normal.  I didn't get any cuts with my 3rd.  It was wonderful not to want to die everytime you pee. lol

Aug 02 08 01:13 am Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

Danielle Leong wrote:

LMFAO!!!!

Aug 02 08 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Electra T wrote:

Depends on the how the pregnacy goes. When Clark was born at 1lb 13oz. My wife stayed in the hospital for about 2 weeks before they sent her home(She still had some traces of preemclampsia and HELLP in her system, which was causing very high blood pressure). That of course didn't keep her from driving 45 minutes nearly every day to see him. He stayed in NICU for 72 days before we were finally able to take him home.

She's preggers with #2, she's considered high risk, but this child has made it to almost 38 weeks. She's got 2.5 weeks before her scheduled c-section. The plan sounds like they'll only keep her at the hospital for 3 days, then we'll all go home with the new baby assuming no complications arise. But typically its about 2 to 3 days for a full term baby and normal delivery.

Aug 02 08 01:47 am Link

Model

Fergy

Fenton, Michigan, US

Karl Blessing wrote:
Depends on the how the pregnacy goes. When Clark was born at 1lb 13oz. My wife stayed in the hospital for about 2 weeks before they sent her home(She still had some traces of preemclampsia and HELLP in her system, which was causing very high blood pressure). That of course didn't keep her from driving 45 minutes nearly every day to see him. He stayed in NICU for 72 days before we were finally able to take him home.

She's preggers with #2, she's considered high risk, but this child has made it to almost 38 weeks. She's got 2.5 weeks before her scheduled c-section. The plan sounds like they'll only keep her at the hospital for 3 days, then we'll all go home with the new baby assuming no complications arise. But typically its about 2 to 3 days for a full term baby and normal delivery.

Wow!  Glad this baby stayed in longer!  A friend of mine almost died from HELPS they told her she shouldn't try for more children.  She had the same thing happen with the second pregnancy.  Both children are good. smile

Get your wife some ice cream and pickles!! big_smile

Aug 02 08 01:53 am Link