J Foxx

Good and cheap does NOT exist in NYC!

Feb 27 06 10:51 pm Link

Model

Kiai

Brooklyn, New York, US

Hamza wrote:

Sure it does, if you sign up and wait for 9 years...

Feb 27 06 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Kiai wrote:

Hamza wrote:

Sure it does, if you sign up and wait for 9 years...

Yeah, but you have to be POOR!  For the entire 9 years!!!

Feb 27 06 10:57 pm Link

Model

Kiai

Brooklyn, New York, US

How deep or shallow are your pockets? You could find a closet-size studio for $1,000 a month. Or go to Astoria or Jackson Heights in Queens. Takes only 15 minutes or so to get into Manhattan. Crown Heights or Bushwick in Brooklyn has cheap apartments too. Might be better to find a room through Craigslist, at least for the first couple months.  Good luck.

Feb 27 06 11:00 pm Link

Model

Kiai

Brooklyn, New York, US

Hamza wrote:
Yeah, but you have to be POOR!  For the entire 9 years!!!

Some people don't consider making $30,000 a year as poor. Actually, I think the cut off is higher now. I knew a guy whose W-2s showed he made $45k and he got "special" housing. Besides they really only care about income. And assets are easier to hide. For example, you could have money in a life insurance policy, or an annuity, but the application will ask how much you have in the bank or in stocks, but not in life insurance. Or you could be a business owner and show tax forms with low income. Even better if you work in a restaurant or a bar, cause they don't ask how much you make in tips.

Feb 27 06 11:09 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Good and cheap does exist in NYC.

Go to:

www.craigslist.org

Feb 27 06 11:52 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
Good and cheap does exist in NYC.

Go to:

www.craigslist.org

I think that must depend on your definition of good and cheap.  I've never seen anythign good or cheap on Craigs List.  Good and cheap is out there, but you really have to know someone to get something rent stabilized.

Feb 27 06 11:56 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

My friend has a share in the lower east side for 500 a month.  That is good and cheap!  Go to www.easyroomrentals.com too.

It does exist!  Don't listen to anyone...if you move to ny do it right and live in manhattan.  I'm a manhattan girl and I don't pay a lot at all!

Feb 28 06 12:00 am Link

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

Is this one of those fantasy threads?  Just kidding guys :-) I remember last time I was in NYC....the Journal was talking about how the price of real estate along Park Ave averaged around $1mil a room.  And I though the McMansions of San Diego were pricey....geeeezzz....

Feb 28 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

c s e

Los Angeles, California, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
My friend has a share in the lower east side for 500 a month.  That is good and cheap!  Go to www.easyroomrentals.com too.

It does exist!  Don't listen to anyone...if you move to ny do it right and live in manhattan.  I'm a manhattan girl and I don't pay a lot at all!

divas never pay.  they don't have to.

Feb 28 06 01:20 am Link

Model

sexy beech

BRONX, New York, US

Good and cheap apartment in New York???!!!?? Yo I can't help you but when you find one let me know. Feels like you're paying almost a body part... a lung, a kidney??, by the time they are done with you.

Feb 28 06 01:23 am Link

Model

sexy beech

BRONX, New York, US

wish i could help you tho...sorry yikes( good luck.

Feb 28 06 01:24 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

I am doing the apartment rounds now too....
I want to live this summer somewhere in Queens ny ( richmond hill, woodhaven, glendale, ridgewood, OZP, kew gardens, forest hills) I don't wanna live in astoria...although it seems that's where the deals are.

Feb 28 06 01:27 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
I'm a manhattan girl and I don't pay a lot at all!

Want to share a room with me?

Feb 28 06 02:31 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

NYC is about the same as London:

Good = no rats

Cheep = rats [or worse] for roommates

LOL

Studio36

Feb 28 06 04:46 am Link

Model

Sara Weibel

Athens, Ohio, US

Finding an apartment in New York is an adventure. I lived in Queens because it was cheaper than Manhattan. There are some cheaper places way up in the northern part of Manhattan, but it's a long ride on the subway. Try looking at craigslist for some leads. Be prepared to pay quite a bit when you find one though. You will probably need the first month's rent, two month's security deposit and most of the time you will have to pay the person who found the apartment (or pay to sign up for the service to see the apartment.) Have fun!!

Feb 28 06 05:21 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

yes new york is expensive.  yes the taxes are ridiculous. but your earning potential is way higher.

Feb 28 06 06:06 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Sara Weibel wrote:
You will probably need the first month's rent, two month's security deposit and most of the time you will have to pay the person who found the apartment (or pay to sign up for the service to see the apartment.)

That's illegal.

Feb 28 06 09:50 am Link

Model

Foxx

Inkster, Michigan, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:

Thank you all for the info it sounds as crazy as I thought! I'll make sure I keep a U-haul box with me just in case.

I know the people that grew up in new york are not getting killed in rent are they?

Feb 28 06 11:29 am Link

Model

CassandraLorien

Brooklyn, New York, US

Even craigslist is hard.

I've been looking for a room since i'll be there from april-june in the 600-1000$ range and i cant find anything. hopefully something turns up.

sad

Feb 28 06 11:36 am Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

Mr Foxx wrote:
Im looking for an apartment in new york that wont kill my pockets
anyone who has or is living in new york with any info please let me know

thanx

J Foxx

J...if you are looking for a roommate I will definitely move in with you, Im desperate to get out of VA!

Feb 28 06 11:55 am Link

Model

Foxx

Inkster, Michigan, US

Porchia wrote:

J...if you are looking for a roommate I will definitely move in with you, Im desperate to get out of VA!

Im gonna have to keep that roomate thing in mind especially if they are gonna look like you ;-)

Feb 28 06 12:19 pm Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

Awww arent you sweet...but seriously, please get me outta this crazy place! LOL!

Feb 28 06 01:47 pm Link

Model

Foxx

Inkster, Michigan, US

Porchia wrote:
Awww arent you sweet...but seriously, please get me outta this crazy place! LOL!

LOl Dont worry Im gonna try and make it happen and ill let you know wassup when I do

Feb 28 06 01:50 pm Link

Model

Foxx

Inkster, Michigan, US

Mr Foxx wrote:

LOl Dont worry Im gonna try and make it happen and ill let you know wassup when I do

What is the average (and real!!) cost for a rooms,apartments hell a cardboard boxs in manhattan. Everything I have seen online has said one thing and its been another. please let me know something.

J.Foxx

Feb 28 06 01:57 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Point blank.

In NYC you have to be a hustler.  You see something you have to get it that same day.  Or it will go to the person standing right behind you.

Feb 28 06 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Is everyone sitting down?  I used to have a rent-stabilized, 2-room apt. on Carmine Street in the West Village, for $175 a month.  That's nothing.  My friend had a 3-room walkup on McDougal Street for $110.  OK, that was 25 years ago.  But the point is, we were both working guys who could afford apartments in the West Village.  I was a purchase order clerk for a paintbrush factory.  My friend was a sometimes-employed merchant seaman.  Even with cost of living raises, do you think a clerk or merchant seaman could afford to live in the West Village today?  Not likely!  The cost of rent in Manhattan has gone up much faster than income. 

It's sad.  Ever since the 1920's - or before - the West Village was an exciting, vibrant place of writers, artists, poets, musicians and freethinkers.  For 50 years, poor, creative people could live there, hang out in the coffee shops, try make a few bucks somewhere, then walk home.  But in the late 1970's, gentrification set in.  Now, the area is off-limits to everyone but well-paid professionals and business people, with a few exceptions.  BTW, I thought $175/month was outrageously expensive!  :-)

End of rant.

Feb 28 06 02:16 pm Link

Model

Foxx

Inkster, Michigan, US

Thanx every one Im am gonna have to get on the grind and get my hands dirty and find me a spot

Feb 28 06 02:19 pm Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

Mr Foxx wrote:
Thanx every one Im am gonna have to get on the grind and get my hands dirty and find me a spot

I will definitely be looking myself and if I find anything I will let you know!

Feb 28 06 02:47 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

If you're willing to live in a tiny apartment with virtual strangers, you can find something in lower Manhattan for under a grand on something like craigslist.  I will never EVER do that again, so I won't live in Mmanhattan for a while.

And this isn't a model matter, so off-topic it goes.

Mar 01 06 01:54 am Link

Model

Yasmineamali

San Francisco, California, US

William Coleman wrote:
Is everyone sitting down?  I used to have a rent-stabilized, 2-room apt. on Carmine Street in the West Village, for $175 a month.  That's nothing.  My friend had a 3-room walkup on McDougal Street for $110.  OK, that was 25 years ago.  But the point is, we were both working guys who could afford apartments in the West Village.  I was a purchase order clerk for a paintbrush factory.  My friend was a sometimes-employed merchant seaman.  Even with cost of living raises, do you think a clerk or merchant seaman could afford to live in the West Village today?  Not likely!  The cost of rent in Manhattan has gone up much faster than income. 

It's sad.  Ever since the 1920's - or before - the West Village was an exciting, vibrant place of writers, artists, poets, musicians and freethinkers.  For 50 years, poor, creative people could live there, hang out in the coffee shops, try make a few bucks somewhere, then walk home.  But in the late 1970's, gentrification set in.  Now, the area is off-limits to everyone but well-paid professionals and business people, with a few exceptions.  BTW, I thought $175/month was outrageously expensive!  :-)

End of rant.

Oh that is soooo sad:(

Mar 01 06 05:35 pm Link

Model

Ariette

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:

What if you dont want a roommate?  Do they have inexpensive 1 bedroom apartments in Manhattan?  I highly doubt it.  And not to sound mean bout Manhattan, I think Manhattan apartments are overrated, you can move to a much spacier apartment in downtown brooklyn for about the same price you pay for the one in Manhattan.  I think bk is gonna be, or is the new Manhattan.

Mar 01 06 05:39 pm Link