Forums > Photography Talk > how long could you live without your camera?

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

I know a few of you photographers have a few cameras, so this question isn't for you.  As the subject asks, how long could you live without your camera?

My main camera is acting funny and the shop said 6-8 weeks.  I took my camera home and I'm still using it until it poops out on me.  lol

Jun 24 05 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Peter J Crowley

Olympia, Washington, US

What is your Camera? In March of 2003 I shattered my left shoulder and couldn't us my arm or camera for 4 months. I took more to writing. At the time I wrote a traditional photographic Art column on nikonians.com [more philosophy than tech] My writing is verbal images and has clarified what I'm saying with my Visual words  [photos] I'll be conducting a workshop on Whidbey Island in Wa. http://www.peterjcrowley.com/events.htm  this August. combinging words and images info at link.  enjoy pjc
p.s. My newest camera is a Nikon F2A Brass rarely needs repair. also have a couple of Nikon Fs from 69 and 71.

Jun 24 05 08:59 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I think I could go longer without a camera in todays world than without a computer.  That is with the limited retouching or no retouching that I do. 

But so many parts of the business revolve around the computer.
Due to the planets aligning,  I was without my main computers for some time and it was hell.

I must give full disclosure that I collect cameras and have over 75.  So it would be quite a blast to leave me high and dry.  Plus we can still rent right?  But it is hard to rent a computer system with all your information on it.

Jun 24 05 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

* Visual Mindscapes *: 
My main camera is acting funny and the shop said 6-8 weeks.  I took my camera home and I'm still using it until it poops out on me.  lol

Use it as an excuse to try something creative!! I dropped (yeah, yeah, someone left something on the studio floor and I tripped) my hasselblad a few years ago and hosed my 150mm sonnar lens and had to send it to the shop. During the 2 months it took to get the lens back I experimented with doing paper negatives in my 8x10 and contact-printing them (cool!) and using a Holga. Both were very cool creative experiences for me.

Want a really cheap creative bit of fun? Got one of those disposable cameras and reload it with black and white film. You need to take the camera apart and see how it's loaded - it's pretty simple and you just tape it back together with duct tape. I put TriX in one and TMZ in another so I could get different light levels (meter, then choose a camera)  It was a blast and I got a lot of fun work done for under $25.

mjr.

Jun 24 05 10:02 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

6-8 weeks seems unacceptably long

also, as a pro, don't you have a backup?

Jun 24 05 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I have gone months without shooting for myself. It is called mall photography and it burns you out. You just give up.

That is why I refuse to have real job, cause I'm an artist. I just do random weekend jobs to pay the bills.

STOP calling me lazy!

Jun 24 05 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Ted Dottavio

Brooklyn, New York, US

Maybe I pick up a different camera when one dies because I feel like it, ok? I can quit anytime I feel like it. I could go without my camera right now if I wanted to.

Jun 24 05 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

tedpowerphoto

Toronto, Iowa, US

8 hours.minus lunch and a few smoke breaks.

Jun 24 05 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Karlton Photo

Saint Charles, Illinois, US

one of mine goes with me everywhere I go...
basically attached to my hip!

(figuratively speaking that is, as we all know shooting from the hip in this sense doesnt work too well!)

When I leave the house...I run thru my mental check list...
smokes...lighter...keys...camera...all good to go!

Jun 24 05 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

.4 minutes(how many seconds is that?)

I cannot survive,  I am jumping,  goodbye cruel no camera world.  Goodbye.

Jun 25 05 12:12 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

3 months since 1999 is how long I went without shooting or touching my camera, because Ohio had me so bummed out about shooting that I essentially retired until I moved back to Atlanta later this year. But i'm back on track now.

Jun 25 05 05:46 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

How long could I go without a particular camera, or how long could i go without shooting at all?  Last year I went about six months without taking a single image, due to the fact that there really aren't many people to work with in Pittsburgh.  I used the time to write a novel.  As for cameras, I have enough toycameras, rangefinders, and analog equipment that I could easily live without my mundane HP digital if/when it dies on me.  For the most part, the digital stuff I do is for the model's benefit -- to let her see what we're doing during the shoot and give her images on disc right away.  The toycamera and film images are the stuff i'm most interested in.

Jun 25 05 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'd be shaking like an ex junkie after 24 hours.

Jun 25 05 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

RDDphotos

Dallas, Texas, US

I've gone without one for about a month.  I just ordered a new Canon with next day air and I'm about to go crazy if its not on time.

Jun 26 05 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

If i dont have a camera
I look like i drank 30 cups of coffee!!
Thats why i have my Box O Cameras..
Im so paranoid i carry 4 cameras everywhere i go!!
I film 1 Digital 2 disposables..
Thats just to the store..if i go farther i bring 20 cameras!!

Jul 06 05 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 

Did you mean to type "condoms"? wink

GWC

Jul 06 05 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Inerlogic

Fairhaven, Massachusetts, US

hrrmm... i take my ape case with me everywhere.....
20D with kit lens and a 75-300, 420EX flash and enough memory cards to store the complete works of pink floyd, led zepplin and aerosmith as WAV files if i wanted.

for fireworks on the 4th i brough a 50+ year old duaflex III 620 camera (MF) and a DRebel, if those three disappeared, along with my 3 K1000s, the agfa viking MF and the halina 35x...   

i'd go nuts..... how long would i live? probably until the death penalty was carried out on me for strangling whoever was responsible for the loss of said cameras smile

Jul 06 05 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Elizabeth Zusev

Seattle, Washington, US

Wait...my camera doesn't count as a vital organ???

Jul 06 05 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

No camera? Well, maybe tops 4 or 5 hours, it`s DT`s and contemplation's of suicide after that, but I haven`t been without a camera anytime at all in the past 10 years, so I don`t remember what that`s like, but reseal and repair time (cla) is like waiting a lifetime even if it`s only 1 week turn around........thank God I have a few Leica`s around, while after it`s all over they can pry them from my dead hands LOL!

Jul 06 05 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

James Graham

Brooklyn, New York, US

Until the day before my next scheduled shoot.

Jul 06 05 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Dimler

Tampa, Florida, US

I take my camera with me everywhere unless I'm going back to the same place that I just shot before.  Like last night, I took some shots of my daughters first swimming lessons and tonight I didn't take the camera because I shot her last night, plus I was in the water with her tonight as well.  I have to admit, I kept telling myself that it's ok to leave the house with out it, but very few times it stays at home.  Every single time I don't take it with me I saw something that I wanted a picture of.  Weird huh? 

Jul 07 05 01:33 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by GWC: 

Posted by Hugh  Jorgen: 

Did you mean to type "condoms"? wink

GWC

You been talkin to Dream

Jul 07 05 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
I know a few of you photographers have a few cameras, so this question isn't for you.   

What we are not humans with feelings
And why do you think we have so many Cameras?
To collect them?
You just wait till you grow up,Youll see it gets even worse!!

Jul 07 05 01:50 am Link