Forums > General Industry > Questions for new(ish) Photog's

Photographer

Horns High Media

Buena Vista, Colorado, US

I have shot action/sports and land/sky scapes for about 9 years, but realatively new to modeling/ fashion/ glamour photography (past 2 yrs).  I've built a starting book, got a few lights (still gaining equipment...)  While it does suck being held back by lack of studio or back drops or enough/ the right lighting, I could always use some hints or other tricks.
Also I think I need suggestions on solicitation/ promotion.  After the portfolio, busniess cards, legal junk - it is proving difficult to approach/ solicit (potential) models, and/or clients.  Any suggestions on approach?

Thanks a bunch! - Ryan Daniels

Jun 24 05 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

Go scout out the smaller modeling/talent agencies if they're any around. Show them your book, give them a stack of business cards and leave them with a 8x5 drop off card (similar to a comp card with a few pics on it) this will give them something to look at and to show potential models/client some of your work. Don't get caught up on the equipment thing. You'll do fine with 3 lights and the proper accessories. Instead, put that money into promoting yourself and your work. Approaching potential models is never any fun, nor does it usually work very well. After all, are you a photographer, or a talent scout???

G-luck!

Jun 24 05 09:38 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Ryan Daniels: 
I have shot action/sports and land/sky scapes for about 9 years, but realatively new to modeling/ fashion/ glamour photography (past 2 yrs).  I've built a starting book, got a few lights (still gaining equipment...)  While it does suck being held back by lack of studio or back drops or enough/ the right lighting, I could always use some hints or other tricks.
Also I think I need suggestions on solicitation/ promotion.  After the portfolio, busniess cards, legal junk - it is proving difficult to approach/ solicit (potential) models, and/or clients.  Any suggestions on approach?

Shoot on location. Use the sun, but not direct.

Jun 24 05 09:43 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Ryan Daniels: 
clients.  Any suggestions on approach?

Shoot on location. Use the sun, but not direct.

Don't look into the sun,  stop touching yourself, and pull your pants up.

Jun 24 05 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Curt Lout Photography

Spearfish, South Dakota, US

Business and Legal Forms for Photographers (Business and Legal Forms) -- by Tad Crawford; Paperback

Jun 24 05 10:21 am Link