Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > our ugly industry

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

eating disorders...sexual decadance and rampant drug abuse...are we all to blame for allowing or passively participating???...i recall the passing of Letticia Lynn Blake...her passing was glossed over by many...was this out of guilt???...i have been place in a situation with a model using heroin while on a shoot...the shoot was stopped...while she did seek help, she relapsed a few times, but has now been clean for over a year.

Mar 02 06 09:36 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Ya gotta love it!  big_smile

Mar 02 06 09:57 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

You had me at sexual decadence;-)

Mar 02 06 09:58 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

*picks up megaphone*

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Mr. Common Sense.

Mr. Sense had been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.  He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and that life isn't always fair.  Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not kids, are in charge).

His health began to rapidly deteriorate when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.  Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition.

Mr. Sense declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student, but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, and criminals received better treatment than their victims.  Common Sense finally gave up the ghost after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, then she spilled a bit in her lap and was awarded a huge financial settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.

He is survived by two stepbrothers: My Rights and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

*puts down megaphone, hangs head for about 60 seconds*
Ok.  Back to work!

Mar 02 06 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
*picks up megaphone*

Mr. Sense had been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.  He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and that life isn't always fair.  Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not kids, are in charge).

His health began to rapidly deteriorate when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.  Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition.

Mr. Sense declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student, but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, and criminals received better treatment than their victims.  Common Sense finally gave up the ghost after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, then she spilled a bit in her lap and was awarded a huge financial settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.

Ok.  Back to work!

Hahahaha got to love it.

Mar 02 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Susi wrote:
You had me at sexual decadence;-)

You naughty, naughty grrl!

Go to your room immediately!

Better yet, go to my room and knock three times..  (That's a Groucho Marx thing).

Mar 02 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Diana Moffitt wrote:
Ya gotta love it!  big_smile

i am going out on a limb and saying this...but i would wager, that all things factored, that the death toll in the beauty industry surpasses the death toll on the war on terror.

Mar 02 06 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

I’ve seen a documentary on super models once.  I think it was called “Beyond skin deepâ€? or something like that.  Basically every super model from the early 60’s on up spiraled into the world of sex and drugs.  Either as a stepping stone to make things happen or as fame and celebrity status took hold, a rock & roll lifestyle ensues.   Some recovered, some go over the edge, all indulged.  Such is the life of the rich and famous.  It is no different in the movie industry.

Mar 02 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

byReno wrote:
I’ve seen a documentary on super models once.  I think it was called “Beyond skin deepâ€? or something like that.  Basically every super model from the early 60’s on up spiraled into the world of sex and drugs.  Either as a stepping stone to make things happen or as fame and celebrity status took hold, a rock & roll lifestyle ensues.   Some recovered, some go over the edge, all indulged.  Such is the life of the rich and famous.  It is no different in the movie industry.

does that not then make us accomplices???

Mar 02 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

BCG wrote:

Maybe.  If “Usâ€? are the movers and shakers.  As far as me, well I did lot of partying in the early 70’s, not with any super models though.  sad

Mar 02 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Mancuso

Harleysville, Pennsylvania, US

BCG wrote:

I dont believe it does. We are given the free will to make the right and wrong decisions, if we choose to make the wrong ones we cannot blame anyone but the person in the mirror.

We all know as human beings drugs are bad, yet some still choose to do them. We know Heroin is THE most addictive drugs, we know it kills people on a daily basis, yet people who have never done the drug before still do it everyday, they know the consequences. They can't blame anyone else, there is no gun to these people's heads saying inject or I'll pull the trigger.

Mar 02 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Our ugly industry? What's ugly about having naked chicks around you all the time?

Mar 02 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

James Berglie

Nottingham, Maryland, US

BCG wrote:
eating disorders...sexual decadance and rampant drug abuse...are we all to blame for allowing or passively participating???...i recall the passing of Letticia Lynn Blake...her passing was glossed over by many...was this out of guilt???...i have been place in a situation with a model using heroin while on a shoot...the shoot was stopped...while she did seek help, she relapsed a few times, but has now been clean for over a year.

the girls gotta do what they gotta do to stay thin.  --  its their choice.  -- personally, Im enthralled by the fashion industry, and the fashion world.

-- they can take responsiblity for their own actions...  and Ill take responsiblity for mine.

in the mean time... keep em thin! 

-- yes, Im a heartless bastard... spare me the lectures.

Mar 02 06 01:24 pm Link

Model

MelissaBaker

New York, New York, US

James,
      We've talked before about my daughter shooting with you so I know you have a wife that you say how much you love but I'll assume no kids-especially a daughter? All I could think about your response is wow... I guess thats how the majority goes through most of life, the easy way and just going along with the crowd. Thats how things have became the way they are in this world. Nice message for the young girls....Spare you a lecture? Wont even begin to give you one, your a grown man.
        For all the young girls out there trying to become a model and reaching your dreams this is a brutal business and those attitudes are exactly what you will come in contact with alot. What you do about it is your choice though.You have to be strong and draw a line that YOU put of where you cross and dont.Yes,it's true you have to be unbelievably thin.Drugs is NOT the only way to get to that size though.You can do it in a healthy way but it will take more time and effort than you can imagine.HARD WORK... ALOT of hard work, but it can be done and you dont have to loose yourself in the process of reaching your dream. If your afraid of hard work, your in the wrong business anyway. Being a good model  is alot of hard work every single day so your prepared for the next paying client.
       Just a crazy thought, but instead of getting a drug dealer why not a good trainer and nutritionist? Someday all the photo shoots, campaigns and ads all come to an end. If you like what you see in the mirror when its all over, then you REALLY WERE successful.
by Becky Baker

Mar 02 06 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

James Berglie wrote:

the girls gotta do what they gotta do to stay thin.  --  its their choice.  -- personally, Im enthralled by the fashion industry, and the fashion world.

-- they can take responsiblity for their own actions...  and Ill take responsiblity for mine.

in the mean time... keep em thin! 

-- yes, Im a heartless bastard... spare me the lectures.

i will spare you the lectures...but along lifes road, you will need someone to spare you the compassion that you yourself chose not to show...and you will cry like a little girl on that day.

Mar 02 06 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

BCG wrote:
...are we all to blame for allowing or passively participating???

Nope.  I don't shoot traditionally pretty women.  My girls are plump, or fat, or tattooed, or mohawked, or older, etc.  I might be responsible for presenting folks who are outside the mainstream in a beautiful light, though.

Mar 02 06 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
*picks up megaphone*

Ok.  Back to work!

Is it ok for me to love you?

Mar 02 06 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

BCG wrote:
are we all to blame for allowing or passively participating???

Well, of course.

We're also to blame for anyone else's addictions to drugs, sex, gambling, shopping, pokemon, etc, because we allow it to continue knowing that they lack either self-control, reasonable judgement on personal decisions or a marginal capacity for rational thought...

Yes, it's all our fault...

Mar 02 06 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Virtue Photography

Torrance, California, US

In my 8 years of photography I think only one girl has ever said she used drugs and it was pot.  I have known many models and NONE of them are into drugs, maybe its just the type of girls I work with.  However, I am pretty sure that most of them have some issues with eating disorders or something.

Mar 02 06 03:45 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
Is it ok for me to love you?

Absolutely!!

Mar 02 06 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

The other day I almost had to beat a guy hard. I was returning from a trip out of town and was about two hours from home when we stopped for gas at a 7&11. Well this guy approached me, he was clearly on drugs and got more than a little upset when I refused to give him a handout. He came at me threatening to kick my ass and I have to admit I went from calm easy going to completely ballistic in a heart beat. Normally I am the most easy going person you will ever meet, I hate confrontation but I hate worst to be confronted like that, nothing sets me off faster than a man threatening me. Anyway my cousin pulled me away and the guy retreated. After all was said and done he approached me, shook my hand and apologized. We sat down and I told him why I could not help him kill himself with drugs and I told him he really needed to get some help, he started crying and said he knows. We left him sitting on the sidewalk in tears, what can you do.

Mar 02 06 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jwill266

Louisville, Kentucky, US

MelissaBaker wrote:
James,
      We've talked before about my daughter shooting with you so I know you have a wife that you say how much you love but I'll assume no kids-especially a daughter? All I could think about your response is wow... I guess thats how the majority goes through most of life, the easy way and just going along with the crowd. Thats how things have became the way they are in this world. Nice message for the young girls....Spare you a lecture? Wont even begin to give you one, your a grown man.
        For all the young girls out there trying to become a model and reaching your dreams this is a brutal business and those attitudes are exactly what you will come in contact with alot. What you do about it is your choice though.You have to be strong and draw a line that YOU put of where you cross and dont.Yes,it's true you have to be unbelievably thin.Drugs is NOT the only way to get to that size though.You can do it in a healthy way but it will take more time and effort than you can imagine.HARD WORK... ALOT of hard work, but it can be done and you dont have to loose yourself in the process of reaching your dream. If your afraid of hard work, your in the wrong business anyway. Being a good model  is alot of hard work every single day so your prepared for the next paying client.
       Just a crazy thought, but instead of getting a drug dealer why not a good trainer and nutritionist? Someday all the photo shoots, campaigns and ads all come to an end. If you like what you see in the mirror when its all over, then you REALLY WERE successful.
by Becky Baker

Good post! My daughter models and works out daily for over an hour and does not eat just anything anytime she wants. She handles it more like I worked hard this week so now I can have ice cream today.

Mar 02 06 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

Well, of course.

We're also to blame for anyone else's addictions to drugs, sex, gambling, shopping, pokemon, etc, because we allow it to continue knowing that they lack either self-control, reasonable judgement on personal decisions or a marginal capacity for rational thought...

Yes, it's all our fault...

so we are not our brothers keeper???

Mar 02 06 04:27 pm Link

Model

Stevie Lynn C

Tampa, Florida, US

BCG wrote:
i will spare you the lectures...but along lifes road, you will need someone to spare you the compassion that you yourself chose not to show...and you will cry like a little girl on that day.

I love this response!

Mar 02 06 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

grsphoto

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

James Berglie wrote:
the girls gotta do what they gotta do to stay thin.  --  its their choice.  --

I still remember the day when I heard an agent tell a 16 year old girl to stay off the pill and start smoking to help her stay thin.... or the 19 year old talking about her friend who addicted to laxatives...or hearing one 17 year old talking to another about eating cotton balls soaked in grape juice to cut down on the hunger pains.... yeah those girls gotta do what they gotta do

Glenn

Mar 02 06 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Duncan

New York, New York, US

BCG wrote:

Damn photography beats working in a cubicle day after day under flourescents That would make me kill MYSELF!!

Mar 02 06 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

BCG wrote:

If there is awareness and you are silent; or worse acquiescent; or even still worse an active participant... then yes.

Studio36

Mar 03 06 06:29 am Link

Model

SarahSVET

Los Angeles, California, US

Ok I understand what your saying about how horrible this industry can be but if you really feel disgusted with it, then why partcipate?
Yes a lot of girls end up with some type of eating disorder or drug addiction but I dont know about the rest of the world but here in LA you dont have to be a model to have those things. Its just how society is now.

Mar 03 06 06:38 am Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

BCG wrote:

i am going out on a limb and saying this...but i would wager, that all things factored, that the death toll in the beauty industry surpasses the death toll on the war on terror.

Stupid stupid comparisson

Mar 03 06 07:11 am Link