Forums > Photography Talk > Is Your Barndoor Open??

Photographer

ClassicHorror

Spartanburg, South Carolina, US

There's been several threads here on poor man's lighting tricks.
Just wondering if any of you guys had used more theatrical based lighting,( pars, barndoors, pinspots, moving heads, etc.) and with what success?

- CH

Jun 25 05 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Posted by Classichorror: 
There's been several threads here on poor man's lighting tricks.
Just wondering if any of you guys had used more theatrical based lighting,( pars, barndoors, pinspots, moving heads, etc.) and with what success?

- CH

A problem with theatrical lighting equipment is that it is designed to be used from some distance (spotlights up in the rafters, scoops hanging over the stage, fresnels designed to throw correctly at a certain distance, etc). Getting in close they behave very differently, and theater lights are generally hotter than newer continuous film production lights and much more so than strobes.

Jun 25 05 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

I use barndoors on everyshoot..... it works great for light control for me.... but my past was in theatre lighting.. so i am used to it.... well that and really late long hours...

Jun 25 05 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Yes it was, how did you know.... ziiiiiiip.

I was thinking about it, but after being reminded how hot they get, I think I will pass. We used to cook on one in the light booth during shows.

Mike

Jun 25 05 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

NOw you are talking theatre lighting...

use them with strobes - its not that bad...

Big differance with a 100w and a 1000w halogen smile

Jun 26 05 12:47 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I wouldn't mind having a few fresnels around, but really softbanks are a higher purchasing priority for me right now. I just picked up my second Lowel Rifalite over at B&H on Monday, a 500w, and the older one is a 1000w. I love these things.

Can't wait for my Source Four Jr to come though, going to mount it about 18 feet from the model and try to use it as a single source with a bounce card for B&W nudes. Just a beautiful little leko (an elipsodial or fixed spotlight for you non-tech theater junkies).

Jun 26 05 02:04 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Barndoors often. Grids often. (Used both heavily today.) Focusing spotlight on occasion. Fresnel rarely, since I don't have one, and the spotlight can mimic some of the attributes. Different size reflectors, depending on what I'm doing, from narrow-grid 7" reflector heads to 33" beauty dish. (Used 7", 11", and 16" today, plus striplights, and a medium softbox.)

The above are all flash-based. The exposure trade-offs for using (affordable) hotlights are rarely practical for me.

Tools are for using.

Jun 26 05 02:20 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I have a Rosco fog machine that I haven't used for a shoot yet, but I've had it for years, used it in films. I'm not sure how to disable the smoke detector in my new space yet, so that's a priority for using the fog mahine. The little fucker started screaming like mad when I singed some toast the other day.

Jun 26 05 09:37 am Link