Forums > General Industry > Leaving Ohio...Take me away...Can I come to you??

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I dont know what I want to do. I keep hearing that there is NO opportunity for a fruitful career in modeling in Ohio.

As much as I hate to say it..I love Ohio *looks @ the floor* and I really dont want to go.

If I did leave, would I be able to make money/exposure where YOU are?

Jun 26 05 04:00 am Link

Photographer

Mystic 7

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

What a beautiful face you have. With a body to boot. I think you could do great down here in S. Florida, it's more "ethnically inclined". Most of the models I've dealt with have been black, and never lacking for work. I would say give it to first frost and then consider coming down here.

Jun 26 05 06:53 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

You are going to have a lot more competition in any major market than in Ohio.

Have you tried putting a portfolio of 9x12 prints together and sending it to agencies? At 5'5" and 145 lbs you should be focusing on lifestyle.

If you don't get any response from agencies, you really would be wasting your time to move in search of work, unless you just want to move for the fun of it. I don't think you could support yourself modeling for the hobby photographers who hire models off of sites like this one.

If the agencies don't bite, the other option is to set up a pay website. I don't see why you couldn't do that from Ohio.

Of course there is always promotional modeling...

Jun 26 05 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Have you tried putting a portfolio of 9x12 prints together and sending it to agencies? At 5'5" and 145 lbs you should be focusing on lifestyle.

If you don't get any response from agencies, you really would be wasting your time to move in search of work, unless you just want to move for the fun of it. I don't think you could support yourself modeling for the hobby photographers who hire models off of sites like this one.

If the agencies don't bite, the other option is to set up a pay website. I don't see why you couldn't do that from Ohio.

Dude, Ohio S-U-C-K-S. I used to shoot no less than 15 models a week, not counting weekends when I was in Atlanta. Now i'm lucky if I do 5 in a month. But then again, it hasn't been my main focus until recently.

Jun 26 05 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

urban prospect

New York, New York, US

Posted by Monsante Bey: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Dude, Ohio S-U-C-K-S. I used to shoot no less than 15 models a week, not counting weekends when I was in Atlanta. Now i'm lucky if I do 5 in a month. But then again, it hasn't been my main focus until recently.

Run Shayuma  leave the wheat fields....

Jun 26 05 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

George Butler

Marietta, Georgia, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

XA makes a great point!

As much as I would love to see you here in Atlanta (Hip Hop Video Capital), I certainly can't house and feed yah.

I know your not going to do the paysites thingy, because too much skin would have to be shown and we've had that discussion.

Truth is, doesn't matter too much where you live. They have this invention called air-o-planes. You could fly to NY at 7AM, for a 10AM shoot. Be back home for dinner in Ohio by 8PM.

Find what market is most lucrative for you, the money pays the bills. HIP HOP Video Chic!, there was a casting call for a Ludacris Video here last week in Hotlanta.

Jun 26 05 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Marcello H Photography

Temple, Texas, US

Hey, I'll show you some wheat fields!

Shayuma, you do not have to limit your market to where you reside and you don't have to move to strengthen your market either. You'll find yourself jumping from one place to the other that way. You will definitely have to do some traveling though and that doesn't matter where you live. These R&B, Rock, and Hiphop artists today don't make half the money from album sales as they do with concert tours. You're already at a good start by having various photographers in other states wanting to work with you. Take that same energy you have here at MM and submit yourself to magazines, legit websites, and agencies. Also if the market sucks in Ohio, it may take you as the one who will create or strengthen that market.

Jun 26 05 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Marcello H Photography

Temple, Texas, US

Oh and if you need help with flights, my sister is a flight attendant based out of Cincinnati and she'd be glad to help you out with buddy passes.

Jun 26 05 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Y'all head down to Houston!

Jun 26 05 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Shayuma: 
I dont know what I want to do. I keep hearing that there is NO opportunity for a fruitful career in modeling in Ohio.

As much as I hate to say it..I love Ohio *looks @ the floor* and I really dont want to go.

I lived in Ohio all my life.

Left 2 years ago and came to Los Angeles.

Do NOT come here. We do NOT need more traffic congestion.

;-)

Jun 26 05 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

You'll have more options if you're well educated and multi-skilled.  I'm in the process of returning to photography full time, to pursue my passion and live my bliss, after spending 4 years as a middle school social studies teacher.  Knowing how the competition is, I'm being realistic by depending on wedding, special event, and corporate photography for my bread and butter while photographing models just for my own personal artistic gratification.  I've gotten several photography jobs through teachers.  A close friend who's a makeup artist/aesthetician has been urging me to try my hand at makeup and skin care.  I just may give it a go.   

Jun 26 05 10:55 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

you are in Cincy...there is TONS of work with Heyman and Cam agencies. Proctor & Gamble books a lot of stuff through those 2 agencies. My friend who is an actress here and back in Indy booked a national commercial for Febreeze via Heyman.

Jun 27 05 01:56 am Link

Photographer

JonesVision

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by Aimercat: 
you are in Cincy...there is TONS of work with Heyman and Cam agencies. Proctor & Gamble books a lot of stuff through those 2 agencies. My friend who is an actress here and back in Indy booked a national commercial for Febreeze via Heyman.

I have a few pictures of my friend's children on my MuseCube portfolio. They are now with Heyman. I don't know a great deal about agencies. But, this was the second time that I have heard something positive about Heyman. Take a look at Aimercat's profile. I'd say that she really knows her stuff. Just my two pennies.

Jun 27 05 03:57 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Damn girl... look at that electric smile... that killer complexion... that BODATIOUS bod!  You've got 'Southern California Glamourmodel' written all over you!  If you were out here, you would DEFINITELY be reeling in some cash.  Call us when you hit the LA airport.

Gary / Select Models

Jun 27 05 10:40 am Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by Eric Muss-Barnes: 

Posted by Shayuma: 

;-)

Awww come on fellow Buckeye!! :0 ) Can I crash at your place?

Jun 28 05 10:40 am Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by Aimercat: 

Thanks Aimer!!! I heard from another photographer to check out Heyman. I guess I will be calling them today!! Thank you so much

Jun 28 05 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

I live in a small town called Chicago, and I think I remember someone telling me there were places for models to get work...and you can bunk here anytime, as soon as the two models currently roooming with me head back home. wink

Jun 28 05 11:42 am Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by Select Models: 
Damn girl... look at that electric smile... that killer complexion... that BODATIOUS bod!  You've got 'Southern California Glamourmodel' written all over you!  If you were out here, you would DEFINITELY be reeling in some cash.  Call us when you hit the LA airport.

Gary / Select Models

Wow Gary, thank you so much for the warm compliments

Jun 28 05 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Shayuma: 

Posted by Shayuma: 

;-)

No. Because if you crash at my place you'll think I'm sweet. Then you'll start to notice how cute I am. After that, you'll seduce me. You'll move in. Things will get serious. I'll think I'm in love. We'll elope in Vegas. Have a kid or two. Then your career will start to take off. You'll leave me for some rockstar. And I'll be stuck paying alimony while you take our children to live with you in Paris.

Crash at my place? Look what THAT leads to! I JUST DON'T NEED THAT KIND OF HASSLE! Sheesh!

Jun 29 05 12:15 am Link

Photographer

CO_Charlie

Denver, Colorado, US

Posted by Shayuma: 

Posted by Shayuma: 

;-)

No. Because if you crash at my place you'll think I'm sweet. Then you'll start to notice how cute I am. After that, you'll seduce me. You'll move in. Things will get serious. I'll think I'm in love. We'll elope in Vegas. Have a kid or two. Then your career will start to take off. You'll leave me for some rockstar. And I'll be stuck paying alimony while you take our children to live with you in Paris.

Crash at my place? Look what THAT leads to! I JUST DON'T NEED THAT KIND OF HASSLE! Sheesh!

Your posts always give me a good chuckle Eric

Jun 29 05 12:24 am Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by Shayuma: 

Posted by Shayuma: 

;-)

But...I would be a good baby momma lmaooooooo

Jun 29 05 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Shayuma: 

Posted by Shayuma: 

But...I would be a good baby momma lmaooooooo

Well, you know the old W.C. Fields quote - "The best thing about babies is making them."

Jun 29 05 11:23 pm Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

You are such a mess!

Also, I took your advice Aimer, I called Heymen Talent yesterday. I have to submit some photos to them, and then hopefully I will be on my way.

Jun 30 05 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Shayuma: 
I called Heymen Talent yesterday. I have to submit some photos to them, and then hopefully I will be on my way.

Good for you. Good luck!

Jun 30 05 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Shayuma: 
You are such a mess!

Also, I took your advice Aimer, I called Heymen Talent yesterday. I have to submit some photos to them, and then hopefully I will be on my way.

Hymen Talent!?

I'd be suspicious of any company with a name like that!

I don't think "breaking" into the business means the same thing there that it does at other agencies!

Jun 30 05 10:06 pm Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by Shayuma: 
You are such a mess!

Hymen Talent!?

I don't think "breaking" into the business means the same thing there that it does at other agencies!

LMAOOOOOO you are so nasty. It's not Hymen, it's Heyman! You are to many things Eric

Jun 30 05 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Shayuma: 

Posted by Shayuma: 
You are such a mess!

Hymen Talent!?

LMAOOOOOO you are so nasty. It's not Hymen, it's Heyman! You are to many things Eric

Heyman?

Ohhh, "Hey, Man! Talent."

Ohhhh, okay. They sound like an Ohio agency.

The Californian office is "Hey, Dude! Talent" but I think you want "Hey, Babe! Talent" which is the women's division.

But steer clear of that Hyman Talent! I hear Hyman Talent is just out to screw people.

(insert drumroll)

Jun 30 05 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Jackson

Dayton, Ohio, US

I feel ya...I'd leave this place in a New York minute if I could.

Jul 07 05 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Bill Sylvester

Fairfield, Ohio, US

And now you won't even reply to that "other photographer's" e-mail.

I'm crying in my Mountain Dew.

"The other photographer"
Bill

p.s. Hi Aimer.

Jul 07 05 11:35 am Link