Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Be Happy or be Successful?

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Brandon Smith wrote:
Which brings up a new question.....why does it need to be defined?  Not a question which I am aptly prepared to answer (considering it is almost Sunday and I've got a shoot in the morning) but just fodor for the mind.

And with that.... Great topic James :-)

Oh but that one's easy: "why does it need to be defined?" - "Because you can not tell someone their work is crap without first having a good reason" big_smile

Thanks for the discussion...it's been fun big_smile

Mar 05 06 02:00 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

I have a great book to recommend to you all.

Conquest of Happiness - by Lord Bertrand Russell, very likely the most prominent and important philosopher/mathematician of the 20th century.

https://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=audioworld&l=ur2&o=1https://images.amazon.com/images/P/0871401622.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

Mar 05 06 03:43 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

First Shot Studios wrote:
I do also believe that a true feeling of success cannot come without a profound feeling of self gratification and self worth.  Therefore, even if you can work in a field with excellent pay and be "successful," if you hate the work, you will never FEEL successful.

Patrick

hmmmmm.....so where does self worth come from?  I think it comes from being worthy, so how do you become worthy?  I think you have to feel and be of worth...so how would you feel you have worth? would it be getting constant praise?  hearing that youre beautiful?  buying yourself a big diamond, An expensive car? I dont think so, we all know how long that kind of happiness lasts .... for most people it would be good deeds, helping others, feeding the hungry, just being usefull to others somehow, that would make you feel you had some worth and that would give you a dose of  real self esteem.

This is where I think we go wrong with kids....we tell them how great they are to give them healthy self esteem....You really can't do that, it doesnt work.  It's superficial and kids know better....They have to experience being worthy to get that self esteem boost, sense of pride and peace.  so I see it as the opposite of self gratification, I see it is others gratification...thats what I believe brings true peace and self fulfilment.

Aren't the happiest people you meet the ones that are always doing something for somebody else?

I notices that my kids felt the most self satisfaction and the best about themselves when  they came home from giving presents to a needy family or helping someone in need....way more satisfaction then opening gifts at Christmas.

Mar 05 06 04:59 pm Link