Forums > Photography Talk > web site reconstuction

Photographer

mike b

Wichita, Kansas, US

redid web site to try to draw in more people who need photographs. this is just a what do you think

Jun 26 05 10:01 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

now asking photographers to crtique websites may not be a great idea..you might want to enlist the aid of some marketing people..
now i am weak with HTML..but my first thought with your site is that it looks "home-made"..a bit amatuerish..

you could sell crap if its packaged right..with a slick look..likewise, great stuff will sit on the shelf if it doesn't attract attention..

those would be my thoughts,,
you asked..
doug

Jun 26 05 10:05 am Link

Photographer

mike b

Wichita, Kansas, US

thanks i have been tring to do the site so many ways but still not getting it just want to show off my work and see what happens.  well i thought it was good but i will keep changeing it . thanks agian..

Jun 26 05 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Leona

San Francisco, California, US

Ack! This post scares me...I also try and try and try to create a professional looking website. Yes, I know I should go to an ACTUAL web designer, but I keep thinking if I mess around long enough I will be able to do it.

Looking at Mike B's website, mine seems to be similar (sp?). I also looked at Doug's. His has smaller thumnails and way more tear sheets than I have, but what makes his more professional looking? I know that last statement sounds snide and in NO WAY do I mean it that way. I mean it as a serious question...what exactly makes his more professional? I am not talking about the actual shots (he has my ass beat on that, right now), but rather the actual layout of the site?

Leona

Jun 26 05 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by Leona: 
Ack! This post scares me...I also try and try and try to create a professional looking website. Yes, I know I should go to an ACTUAL web designer, but I keep thinking if I mess around long enough I will be able to do it.

Looking at Mike B's website, mine seems to be similar (sp?). I also looked at Doug's. His has smaller thumnails and way more tear sheets than I have, but what makes his more professional looking? I know that last statement sounds snide and in NO WAY do I mean it that way. I mean it as a serious question...what exactly makes his more professional? I am not talking about the actual shots (he has my ass beat on that, right now), but rather the actual layout of the site?
Leona

hey hey hey..i didn't ask for a critique...phew!!!>..i prefaced my comment swith being weak on html...

Jun 26 05 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

mike b

Wichita, Kansas, US

thanks agian for replies.  we all have are own style of photography, that said i am just tring to show what i do without alot of hopla and doing nice natual photographs for people i know some of my work is not like what i see in mags because i dont have 90,000 $ equipment and a full staff. but i feel based on the people i do shoot my style is pretty good basee on comments from who i shoot .. i just want to peck the intrest of who sees my site and calls me for a shoot...but is there a tweek i can do to the site that might bring more calls.. thanks agian , more replys please

Jun 26 05 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

I'm not only a photographer, but also a webdeveloper. I really really didnt want to say anything, but your site obviously says 'cheap' or 'made in the early 90s' from a webdesigner standpoint. In the end your website doesnt come to the look of the skill level of your photography (that is to say, if you were as good a webdesigner as you are a photographer, I would not be replying here). Feel free to message me if you want some simple but effective advice on the site.

Jun 26 05 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

mike b

Wichita, Kansas, US

thank you for your input i will email, and i thank you for ideas fro the tweeking..

Jun 26 05 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

chas fenoughty

London, Arkansas, US

Hi there,

The site wouldn't win awards but it isn't too bad - I have seen many many worse. But it doesn't really SELL your talents.

Thr trouble is you used dreamweaver - which can be a good tool but which doesn't write nice code. The best bit of advice I could possibly give would be to suggest you go back to basics and read a book on HTML, then next time you go into DW (which is a great tool, as part of the project) you will understand how and why things work the way they do. Just like driving once the technique is 2nd nature to you, you can really concentrate on where you are going.

Go over people's sites you do like and write down what you like about them, copying is bad but Inspiration - well theres nothing wrong with that.

check out my two main sites:
www.clearfocusdesign.com - my web design company
www.inlocodeus.com - digitalart/photography site

cheers and best of luck with the site

Chas

Jun 27 05 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

mike b

Wichita, Kansas, US

hi are you talking about site as it is right now. i redid it last night to the tan color.

Jun 27 05 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

BlackSkyPhoto

Danville, California, US

Just remember - simple is good - people are pretty dumb and need it spelled out to them - but it matters who your customers are..

DO not make the site too Deep - as in multiple clicks to get to anyting you want..

Simple - easy - clean....

Its so easy to make smaller sites using photoshop its sick..

Jun 27 05 10:51 pm Link