Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Stylist vs. Production Assistant...

Photographer

el corazon

Austin, Texas, US

My business is expanding and I am in need of a Production Assistant.  I've worked with many stylist and mua's, all have been great!  So the question is, would a mua or stylist be a good fit for a production assistant?  I realize that qualifications and skills play a large role in this decision but I would like to get some outside opinions from everyone.

Pro's and Con's?

Anyone interested?

Sharing past experiences????

Mar 05 06 12:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Jesse Knish Photography wrote:
My business is expanding and I am in need of a Production Assistant.  I've worked with many stylist and mua's, all have been great!  So the question is, would a mua or stylist be a good fit for a production assistant?  I realize that qualifications and skills play a large role in this decision but I would like to get some outside opinions from everyone.

Pro's and Con's?

Anyone interested?

well from my experiance a P.A is just a glorefied gofor. if some one brought me on board with the "well your a make-up Artist" line and then I found out that I was going to be a P.A. I would be pissed. Personally why would I "the make-up Artist" want to be your P.A.??? Are you paying me more money than I can make doing Make-up? If your wanting to hire a P.A. hire a student, there are lots of them out there who are looking for the experiance so they can get set hrs and then can apply to be in the union.

With that being said is this a casting call?? because if it sounds kinda like one and I think you should be warned that it will be locked up or moved.

I was a P.A. years ago on a couple of Big budget films, and now that I am a makeup artist and am working as  a make-up artist why the heck would I want to go back to being a P.A.. that job kinda sucks as you get told what to do all day, you dont get paied what you should to do what you have to do.

Mar 05 06 01:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Jesse Knish Photography wrote:

Pro's and Con's?

Anyone interested?

I think anyone experienced on sets would make a great PA but why pay an artists fee for a PA?  PA's are really just gofers as Mandy pointed out....you wont find a good artist or stylist willing to be a PA

Mar 05 06 02:09 pm Link