Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > dyed, damaged hair

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I suppose this is a silly question, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Background info:

I used to have very strong hair. The texture is mostly fine, mixed with a little bit of coarse around the crown.

My hair was dyed for a shoot back in December. Peroxide was used to lighten, not bleach. Recently I had my roots dyed and highlights added.

My hair is naturally curly. I blow dry my hair straight after washing; I always have.This way, I do not have to use a flat iron or curling iron. I use hot rollers every now and then.

When I had my hair dyed, the stylist cut the ends, but by the time she was done styling it, they were split again. It really sucks that she cut off an inch, but my ends still look bad.

My hair is now very weak, splits and breaks VERY easily. While my scalp still gets oily, my hair stays dry.

So, finally to the question. Is there something I can use to make it more resilient and less brittle? I know there are a million and 1 products, but what actually works?

Mar 05 06 01:51 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

I could not live without Kera Care hydrating shampoo and humecto conditioner

Mar 05 06 01:54 pm Link

Model

Kimberly Jo

Athens, Alabama, US

I used to have the same problem.  And sorry to tell.. there's not really a fix except time.    After a year of almost 0 blonde added to mine.. it is just now getting healthy again.  What worked for me was when I had days that I didn't have to look my best, I had to make a compromise and look my worst.  This means, no blow drying unless you HAVE to. No heat tools unless you didn't blow dry.. etc. And when you use either, always use protection from heat.  I like Tressemme's. (forgive the spelling!)

Mar 05 06 01:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Angel Tara wrote:
I suppose this is a silly question, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Background info:

I used to have very strong hair. The texture is mostly fine, mixed with a little bit of coarse around the crown.

My hair was dyed for a shoot back in December. Peroxide was used to lighten, not bleach. Recently I had my roots dyed and highlights added.

My hair is naturally curly. I blow dry my hair straight after washing; I always have.This way, I do not have to use a flat iron or curling iron. I use hot rollers every now and then.

When I had my hair dyed, the stylist cut the ends, but by the time she was done styling it, they were split again. It really sucks that she cut off an inch, but my ends still look bad.

My hair is now very weak, splits and breaks VERY easily. While my scalp still gets oily, my hair stays dry.

So, finally to the question. Is there something I can use to make it more resilient and less brittle? I know there are a million and 1 products, but what actually works?

I would go back to the place that you got your hair orriginally dyed at. it sounds like the peroxide might have been either a bad batch or expired. My sister had a simmilar thing happen only she developled massive blisters on her scalp and was in alot of pain,
As a girl who also has curly hair on top of my head I know what your talking about. Do you use and heat products on your hair there are alot of differnt sprays and creams that you can put into you hair to protect it from even your blowdryer, keep inmind that just because its not as hot as a flat iron your still adding heat to your hair daily.
you mentioned that after styling you still had split ends? what did she do as far as styling goes?? did she back comb or back brush it? this might cause split ends.
I know that curly hair can have more slpit ends becasue it has a differnt texture but honestly I would go and see your hair stylist about this , it might be something that I am not aware of.

Mar 05 06 02:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Washington, District of Columbia, US

My mother is a cosmetologist, and I've been declared an honorary one smile  I had been getting my hair colored since I was 15, and as I got older the dye not only gave me scalp problems, but I had damage too.  I truly believe the only way to get rid of damaged ends is to cut them.  Deep conditioners and hydrating shampoos help too.  Dove actually has excellent conditioners.  Depending on when you wash your hair, if you have time put conditioner in and wear a plastic cap.  If you're in a hurry sit under a dryer for a few minutes.  If you just have down time at home, put the cap on and wash clothes/clean up, whatever.  Then proceed to style.

Always wrap/tie up your hair at night.  And although you're blow drying to avoid the other heat styling, blow drying is horrible for hair, too.  Have you tried sitting under a dryer?

Another thing my mother used (and I still use every once in a while) is a mayo/egg concoction.  Use it before shampooing...just leave it in for a while like deep conditioner.  Messy, but it works.

Mar 05 06 02:13 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:

I would go back to the place that you got your hair orriginally dyed at. it sounds like the peroxide might have been either a bad batch or expired. My sister had a simmilar thing happen only she developled massive blisters on her scalp and was in alot of pain,
As a girl who also has curly hair on top of my head I know what your talking about. Do you use and heat products on your hair there are alot of differnt sprays and creams that you can put into you hair to protect it from even your blowdryer, keep inmind that just because its not as hot as a flat iron your still adding heat to your hair daily.
you mentioned that after styling you still had split ends? what did she do as far as styling goes?? did she back comb or back brush it? this might cause split ends.
I know that curly hair can have more slpit ends becasue it has a differnt texture but honestly I would go and see your hair stylist about this , it might be something that I am not aware of.

it was orginally dyed for a shoot in Chicago. The company stated they would take care of the upkeep intitally, but after the fact when my agent asked, they said my color change wasn't "drastic enough." I can only assume that on paper, they saw dark drown to light brown, when, in actuality, it was more like almost black to almost blonde. I was pissed but they also said they don't have a certified tech in Michgan, and that I'd have to travel to Chicago and the original colorist would "be so kind" as to only charge me the model rate. UGH! Sooooo...the original salon is kinda out of the question.

When she styled it, she used a flat brush while blowdrying it. Then she flat ironed it. Even after the hair cut, the ends looked frizzy.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I do use heat styling products to help protect it. I used to take really good care of it, but a few years ago I lost it all due to chemo. It was down to my waist. Since then, I haven't been able to find, or even remember the name of the conditioning packs I used to use.

Mar 05 06 02:23 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Kimberly Jo wrote:
I used to have the same problem.  And sorry to tell.. there's not really a fix except time.    After a year of almost 0 blonde added to mine.. it is just now getting healthy again.  What worked for me was when I had days that I didn't have to look my best, I had to make a compromise and look my worst.  This means, no blow drying unless you HAVE to. No heat tools unless you didn't blow dry.. etc. And when you use either, always use protection from heat.  I like Tressemme's. (forgive the spelling!)

I used to do this, and I suppose I should really start again. I'd wash and condition it, and then wear it in a curly ponytail.

Mar 05 06 02:29 pm Link

Model

Stargazer Blue

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Angel Tara wrote:

I used to do this, and I suppose I should really start again. I'd wash and condition it, and then wear it in a curly ponytail.

well duh. don't burn your hair with the blow dryer everyday and that will help- use it only when you have to.

use only expensive products- it really makes a difference. get shampoo and conditioner for dry/damaged/colored hair from a salon.

Mar 05 06 02:33 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

faithb wrote:
My mother is a cosmetologist, and I've been declared an honorary one smile  I had been getting my hair colored since I was 15, and as I got older the dye not only gave me scalp problems, but I had damage too.  I truly believe the only way to get rid of damaged ends is to cut them.  Deep conditioners and hydrating shampoos help too.  Dove actually has excellent conditioners.  Depending on when you wash your hair, if you have time put conditioner in and wear a plastic cap.  If you're in a hurry sit under a dryer for a few minutes.  If you just have down time at home, put the cap on and wash clothes/clean up, whatever.  Then proceed to style.

Always wrap/tie up your hair at night.  And although you're blow drying to avoid the other heat styling, blow drying is horrible for hair, too.  Have you tried sitting under a dryer?

Another thing my mother used (and I still use every once in a while) is a mayo/egg concoction.  Use it before shampooing...just leave it in for a while like deep conditioner.  Messy, but it works.

I don't really blow dry to avoid the other appliances. I do it because it gets my hair the straightest. The way my hair is, which ever way it dries is the way it wants to stay. It is almost impossible to get it straight after it has dried curly and when I manage to do it, it curles back up after a few hours. I did think about buying a dryer, but I'm not sure I could get my hair straight going that route.

Thanks for the suggestions. I may get a dryer after all to use while deep conditioning.

Mar 05 06 02:37 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Ibalu wrote:

well duh. don't burn your hair with the blow dryer everyday and that will help- use it only when you have to.

use only expensive products- it really makes a difference. get shampoo and conditioner for dry/damaged/colored hair from a salon.

I currently use Nexxus Botonoil Shampoo and Keraphix conditioner. It's been a few months and I'm not impressed. So I'm still searching..

Mar 05 06 02:55 pm Link

Model

Kimberly Jo

Athens, Alabama, US

One more thing... try Redkens 'all soft' line.. works wonders

Mar 05 06 03:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Angel Tara wrote:
I don't really blow dry to avoid the other appliances. I do it because it gets my hair the straightest. The way my hair is, which ever way it dries is the way it wants to stay. It is almost impossible to get it straight after it has dried curly and when I manage to do it, it curles back up after a few hours. I did think about buying a dryer, but I'm not sure I could get my hair straight going that route.

Thanks for the suggestions. I may get a dryer after all to use while deep conditioning.

My hair is naturally curly too.  My alternative to blow drying is roller setting it on large rollers (under the dryer).  Time consuming, but better for my hair.  The rollers leave curls in it of course, but not the tight ringlets I'd normally have.  If I want it straighter I take the rollers out after drying and wrap it, then get back under the dryer.  If I want it absolutely bone straight I will flat iron it with the ceramics, but I usually only have to do that once until the next time I wash my hair.

Mar 05 06 03:02 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:
I could not live without Kera Care hydrating shampoo and humecto conditioner

I couldn't figure out why Kera Care was so familiar, until I went and checked and sure enough, I have those products under my sink, lol. They are made by Avlon, the company that dyed my hair in the first place. They gave us a bag of freebies after the shoot, but I didn't know if they were any good, and never tried them. It takes a lot to get me to use new products. I almost always go back to whatever I was using in the first place. However, since you suggested them, I am going to try them tonight.

I am going to feel like a dope if the answer has been sitting under my sink for 3 months, LOL.

Mar 05 06 03:10 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

faithb wrote:

My hair is naturally curly too.  My alternative to blow drying is roller setting it on large rollers (under the dryer).  Time consuming, but better for my hair.  The rollers leave curls in it of course, but not the tight ringlets I'd normally have.  If I want it straighter I take the rollers out after drying and wrap it, then get back under the dryer.  If I want it absolutely bone straight I will flat iron it with the ceramics, but I usually only have to do that once until the next time I wash my hair.

As much time as I spend in these forums, I could be sitting under a dryer. I think I'm going to go ahead and get one. smile

Mar 05 06 03:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Angel Tara wrote:
As much time as I spend in these forums, I could be sitting under a dryer. I think I'm going to go ahead and get one. smile

I hope all the suggestions work!

Mar 05 06 03:43 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Kimberly Jo wrote:
One more thing... try Redkens 'all soft' line.. works wonders

I tried the weekly treatment. My hair was sooo soft. I also have Redken Anti Snap. So far I dont know about that one.

Mar 05 06 04:08 pm Link