Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > what would you do?

Model

Mandy Y

Los Angeles, California, US

On one of my shoots the MUA flaked out a day before the shoot, so I contacted another MUA in the area. She said she can do my hair and makeup for $100, I looked at her portfolio and she was actually very good, but she said she didn't have time to go on the actual shoot and I couldnt find anyone else in the area. So I went ahead and scheduled an appointment with her.

Our appointment was at 11:00am, I got there at 10:45am, I knocked on her door and called her over 15times, but no call no answer. I tried again in a little bit and she finally opened the door at 11:40am!!!!, she looked like she just woke up!!!!
she said oh sorry, I didn't hear the door or my phone.

She proceed into asking me what I want the makeup to be like, I showed her the wordrobe and told her how I wanted the makeup to be.

She goes ahead and does my makeup before my hair, she put on eyeshawdow and lipstick before foundation which I found a little weird, but I didnt say anything since she was the professional

then she asked me how I wanted my hair done, I told her just tight curls, and she looked at me 'yawned' and said, NO, your hair will not curl! I told her a lot of stylist told me my hair curls very well...etc
she said I AM THE PROFESSIONAL HERE

she tied my hair into a pony tail! and said give me my money!!!!
I was in shock!
I told her I think the makeup is too dark and she said, it'll look different in pictures

I hurried and paid her, cause by that time I was almost late for my shoot.

When I got to the shoot, the photographer said "Oh mann! who did the makeup?! You look like a clown!"
I ended up having to take the makeup off, and I had to do it myself!! (I always have a backup kit in the car)
sad
the photographer and the other models told me I should request a refund from the MUA

I contacted the MUA after the shoot and she said SORRY NO REFUND and HUNG UP on me!

What would you have done? In this situation is it right to ask for a refund?

Mar 06 06 06:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Mandy Yeung wrote:
On one of my shoots the MUA flaked out a day before the shoot, so I contacted another MUA in the area. She said she can do my hair and makeup for $100, I looked at her portfolio and she was actually very good, but she said she didn't have time to go on the actual shoot and I couldnt find anyone else in the area. So I went ahead and scheduled an appointment with her.

Our appointment was at 11:00am, I got there at 10:45am, I knocked on her door and called her over 15times, but no call no answer. I tried again in a little bit and she finally opened the door at 11:40am!!!!, she looked like she just woke up!!!!
she said oh sorry, I didn't hear the door or my phone.

She proceed into asking me what I want the makeup to be like, I showed her the wordrobe and told her how I wanted the makeup to be.

She goes ahead and does my makeup before my hair, she put on eyeshawdow and lipstick before foundation which I found a little weird, but I didnt say anything since she was the professional

then she asked me how I wanted my hair done, I told her just tight curls, and she looked at me 'yawned' and said, NO, your hair will not curl! I told her a lot of stylist told me my hair curls very well...etc
she said I AM THE PROFESSIONAL HERE

she tied my hair into a pony tail! and said give me my money!!!!
I was in shock!
I told her I think the makeup is too dark and she said, it'll look different in pictures

I hurried and paid her, cause by that time I was almost late for my shoot.

When I got to the shoot, the photographer said "Oh mann! who did the makeup?! You look like a clown!"
I ended up having to take the makeup off, and I had to do it myself!! (I always have a backup kit in the car)
sad
the photographer and the other models told me I should request a refund from the MUA

I contacted the MUA after the shoot and she said SORRY NO REFUND and HUNG UP on me!

What would you have done? In this situation is it right to ask for a refund?

Well If I were you I wouldnt have hung around so long waiting for her to get up and do her job, its he wasnt there after 10min I would have left. I also wouldnt have paied the artist untill you were satisfyied, even if she did the make-up to dark, your the customer  and "your right"
Lots of artist do the foundation last , I dont but depending on what I am doing I might, like if the eye shadow was a heavy dark black eye theres a chance the make-up might fall, but there are ways around that. any hoo most wont give a refund but i wouldnt have paied her untill she altest got close to what you wanted. too bad she sounds un professional especially if she "didnt hear you", seriously I am waiting when people come to my place to get make-up done. I want to be already so i dont waise thier time.

Mar 06 06 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

If you only dealt in cash, and there were no invoices or contracts or anything, then you're sort of screwed. Doubtful that she'll give the money back.

It's too bad this happened, though. The best thing to do is just never work with her again, if people ask about her, tell your story, and highly recommend against anyone working with her. If you do this in a professional and non-whiny/crazed way, slowly word will get around and less people will want to work with her.

And, if this is her contast work ethic and attitude, she won't be going very far, anyway.

For future reference, make sure that you are 100% satisfied with how the makeup looks BEFORE paying. She's taking your money, so she'd better do everything you want (within reason) and do a damned good job at it too!

Mar 06 06 08:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

as I have been learning....the website photos you viewed may not even be hers
sad

Mar 07 06 12:54 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

if you are paying for the makeup - it is ABSOLUTELY in your right to dictate exactly what you want. I have worked on everyday women and i do my thing, but I am constantly communicating with them, each step, to make sure that they are satisfied and i will redo it to their liking. this is a rare situation in which its not a production company trying to "cut costs" and get freebies, you were genuinely unhappy and that sucks. If anything it was a $100 learning experience.

Mar 08 06 11:02 pm Link