Forums > Photography Talk > smugmug.com

Photographer

Jibaili

Anyone use it? Thoughts, comments, etc.....

Jun 27 05 04:07 am Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

Tried it briefly - the site worked nicely, but they don't allow nudity at all so it wasn't much use to me. (All photos are supposed to be "family friendly" - I guess begetting children and nudity don't mix well.)

Jun 27 05 04:52 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

a friend of mine is using it right now - he shoots mostly kid sports stuff and sells to the soccer moms. As I understand it, no one has complained about the prints, and its very easy for people to view their images.

Jun 27 05 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Is it a hosting site like Myfamily.com and photobucket.com?

Or is it a site like this but family oriented?

My brother has a great place that he uses with different image sizes availible for the same image.  I will have to get the information.

Jun 27 05 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

dorian cole

Washington, District of Columbia, US

haven't used smugmug, but pbase.com is similar.  great site, i think u can upload whatever u want

Jun 27 05 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

F3M Photography

Howell, New Jersey, US

Difference between smugmug and pbase: You can upload unlimited (theoretical) photos into smugmug, you're limited by your subscription type on pbase. Pbase you can post anything, smugmug you're limited to family-friendly pics.

Jun 27 05 02:41 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

splashswim

Cocoa Beach, Florida, US

smugmug, pbase, etc. they are all very boring sites!!! You are better off paying godaddy $3.95/month for 1GB of space and use photoshop to create your galleries and upload them to your server - you'll get a nicer presentation!

Unlimited is also not true - you are limited to 8GB of bandwidth per month -about a DVD and half of photos - plus what's the point, its much easier to make a second DVD as backup as it will take you days of uploading to get a GB uploaded.

Don't want to push another service or company, but lots of places offer much nicer presentations of your work. I can point you'd like to contact me.

Jun 27 05 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

Posted by marksora: 
Is it a hosting site like Myfamily.com and photobucket.com?

It has a forum for some discussion but its focus is on sharing photos and selling various photo products (prints, mugs, T-shirts, etc.). If you get a professional account (about $90/year) you can charge whatever you like for these products, smugmug charges a fee to fulfil orders and you keep the rest.

Pbase doesn't directly support selling: you can add, say, a Paypal ordering system but you are responsible for order fulfilment. Pbase has had a LOT of technical problems over the last six months.

Jun 27 05 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

dorian cole

Washington, District of Columbia, US

yeah, it's definitely cool to have your own identity/presentation.. however, sites like smugmug & pbase have a huge audience.. it's possible that many people who wouldn't have come across your website will see your work there.. and u can always link them to your personal page from there..

Jun 27 05 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

If you buy hosting from a provider and make your own galleries, you're missing the one draw of smugmug, which is selling prints and having them do the fulfilment.

I shoot cheerleading competitions on the side and use smugmug to sell the prints. Easier for all involved and it buys me a new lens every few months.

Jun 27 05 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Posted by Chris Ambler: 
the one draw of smugmug, which is selling prints and having them do the fulfilment.

exactly.

Jun 27 05 03:48 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

splashswim

Cocoa Beach, Florida, US

Virtually noone will buy prints of your model photos - the people who buy prints are for example friends of a person who posted his wedding photos or something - and they don't even allow anything beyond "family" rating.

I think every model should have their own domain and fancy website - when we review candidates for our casting calls - we definitely give preference when we see a nice clean site that showcases their work rather than smugmug link or some free yahoo photos page.

Jun 27 05 04:19 pm Link