Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Taking credit for someone else's work...Hmmmmm.

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

..I have done some joint projects in the past and someone is claiming that the Makeup work is their work to others to get gigs. This person does makeup on the side. Is that wrong or what? I at times think that it is funny.

Mar 07 06 06:07 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

CamelaC

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

BridgitC-Makeup Artist wrote:
..I have done some joint projects in the past and someone is claiming that the Makeup work is their work to others to get gigs. This person does makeup on the side. Is that wrong or what? I at times think that it is funny.

It's DEAD Wrong.. If they assisted you, you should mention it to them. If you don't think it's their work, you should contact them and ask them to alter the credits. If they didn't do it at all, call them on it. Maybe for some strange reason, it was a mixup, and they didn't mean it. It's a long shot..but maybe. LOL

Mar 07 06 09:30 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

was it an editorial thing?

Mar 07 06 10:30 am Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I don't know if it was for any editorial stuff, I doubt it...but still...

Mar 07 06 10:46 am Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

CamelaC wrote:

It's DEAD Wrong.. If they assisted you, you should mention it to them. If you don't think it's their work, you should contact them and ask them to alter the credits. If they didn't do it at all, call them on it. Maybe for some strange reason, it was a mixup, and they didn't mean it. It's a long shot..but maybe. LOL

Camela  where you been????? Haven't seen you floating in here lately...

Mar 07 06 10:47 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

T.Alexander

Norcross, Georgia, US

Just wrong period. Its like me working with you and trying to take credit just  because I passed you a brush when you asked for it.

Yeah Camela where you been hiding?

Mar 07 06 10:54 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

CamelaC

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

BridgitC-Makeup Artist wrote:

Camela  where you been????? Haven't seen you floating in here lately...

I've been traveling and just a bit busy lately with all kinds of things. ;-) Thanks for asking. I try to get on here once or twice every other day.

Mar 07 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Yanni would never do that.   I say we get Yanni to kick the offenders butt.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Mus … rested.ap/

Mar 07 06 01:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

yah that fraud if they say something is thiers when its not.

Mar 07 06 02:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jack D Trute wrote:
Yanni would never do that.   I say we get Yanni to kick the offenders butt.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Mus … rested.ap/

LOL.....

Mar 07 06 03:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Christopher Payne

North Chicago, Illinois, US

https://www.fatdotchris.co.uk/blog/public/images_upload/Mr-Burns-Laughing.gif

RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!!

Mar 09 06 10:24 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

A makeup artist contacted me to get prints or tears from an editorial I shot 3 years ago.
She just got an agent in NY and wants to use the images or tears in her book, BUT on that shoot, she was the assistant.
Is it ok for her to use these images in her book. Of course she will imply she was the key makeup artist. Should I care? It doesn't affect me, right? More people will see my work, right ?

Mar 09 06 10:29 am Link

Makeup Artist

Naomi

New York, New York, US

Eric S. wrote:
A makeup artist contacted me to get prints or tears from an editorial I shot 3 years ago.
She just got an agent in NY and wants to use the images or tears in her book, BUT on that shoot, she was the assistant.
Is it ok for her to use these images in her book. Of course she will imply she was the key makeup artist. Should I care? It doesn't affect me, right? More people will see my work, right ?

It depends..9 out of 10 times they don't give a shit who took the pic- they are looking at MUA work. And what if you have a good relationship with the key MUA...do you wanna ruin it?
Assistants shouldn't put pics like that in thier book PERIOD ! BUT they shold put it on thier resume.
(sorry am I too harsh lol..I just calls it as I sees it..I love your work!)

Mar 09 06 10:56 am Link

Makeup Artist

UkMakeupArtist

Liverpool, Illinois, US

Eric S. wrote:

Oh my, it is dead wrong for her to use them.  It doesnt matter if she did a whole face, if she only assisted then she cant use them.  you should refer her to emelles forums for a short sharp lesson.

Mar 09 06 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Star

UkMakeupArtist wrote:
Oh my, it is dead wrong for her to use them.  It doesnt matter if she did a whole face, if she only assisted then she cant use them.  you should refer her to emelles forums for a short sharp lesson.

I have seen so many assistants that are doing all the work on some girls. In my opinion that makes them no longer an assistant. I see the same thing in photography where an assitant, lets say at a wedding, is shooting the entire reception but the images are on the main photographer's web site as though they are the main photogs work.

I think that the person who does the work should get the credit. If you use your assistant to help, to touch-up, to fill inthe lines of what you started or to put on the base for what you will finish that is fine, they are an assistant. But when you say something like, make her look 1930's glamorous and leave her, or him, to do all the work than they are no longer an assisstant they are a partner and should be treated as such.

Star

Mar 09 06 11:08 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

when you are an assistant you NEVER NEVER use the work in your book!  the key always makes that call and if the assistant did all the work they can use the tear ONLY ONLY ONLY witht the keys permission. 

Eric, it is not cool for an assistant on a shoot to be contacting you...he or she should be contacting the key to get the shot if she wants it, it is the keys decision to even decide to contact you or not....and I would never bother a photographer for a shot to give an assistant unless it was all planned that way in advance and the photographer knew about it in advance.

If you as a photographer had an assistant contact your client for any reason you would be livid, this is the same thing....the photographer is my client. If you had an assistant using tears on a job you were hired to do you would be livid...regardless who took the photo....because 1) you got the job and thats the hardest part 2) you directed how the lights would be set up 3) you choose the crew 4) you paid for the studio.. I could go on and on about what you put into the shoot besides clicking the shutter but you get the message right? 

I have many times directed how I wanted the makeup and then walked away to go do another model.....the assistant finishes, 9 times out of 10 I correct a few things and send the models out..... The assistant may not even see me correct her mistakes but the job is mine and unless I give permission those shots better not end up in anyones book.....What if I decide to use them in mine?  we are in the same market, we go on the same castings, the same photographers see our books...How would that look for us to have the exact same shot?  Someone is stealing will be the assumption.

when I did the New Balance Campaign the photo assistant shot just as many photos as the photographer. One was shooting digital one film (I assume thats what was going on)  What got used was whatever turned out the best, I'm sure the assistant didn't take credit even if they actually used what he shot.

So one guy makes around $6,000.00 a day and one makes about $250.00 a day, the one making $250.00 works a lot harder and doesnt get any credit but thats just how it is....it's called paying your dues and someday that assistant will be in the better position while some poor young guy runs his ass off for him. smile

Also, the one making $250.00 a day hears nothing from the client if the photos are terrible and everyones mad....even if he took the shots, he isn't paid to carry the burden of the results and thats a HUGE burden.  Same for artists, if my assistants screw up, I can't blame them....its my ass on the line and for that burden the tear is mine. 

On a side note, I rarely let assistants do full makeup except on stock jobs and I rarely use those shots, I do tell them to feel free to use any stock stuff they did.

Mar 09 06 06:17 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Naomi wrote:

It depends..9 out of 10 times they don't give a shit who took the pic- they are looking at MUA work. And what if you have a good relationship with the key MUA...do you wanna ruin it?
Assistants shouldn't put pics like that in thier book PERIOD ! BUT they shold put it on thier resume.
(sorry am I too harsh lol..I just calls it as I sees it..I love your work!)

I agree.  I did  a shout helping out another MM stylist,  I know enough not to expect anything but a nice day helping out some fellow people.

I did not get the clothes or think up the idea.   Plus I talked too much.
An assistant should be using the shots only if they did all the work.   This does happen but not to often.   I was just help that day.   Eric,  only you know what was done that day but the logic of who cares as long as I come out okay does not work in the long run.

Mar 09 06 06:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tashie Munster MUA

Tempe, Arizona, US

I have the same problem, I worked with another makeup artist, (not going to mention any names since they are on MM), and they had pictures posted in their portfolio where I had clearly done the makeup-she was taking credit for all of it and not citing me. There is a definate difference in the makeup as well-we both did the same look, and mine looks completely different from hers. Now I am afraid to use that material in my portfolio because (not to have a big head) I came up with the look so I think mine looks way better.

Mar 12 06 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Genell Canty

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Example: So what should I say for my work if the makeup artist only did the foundation and I did the rest?

Mar 13 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Thanks Mary and everyone else.
Still not sure what I shoud do, I forgot who did what.
I guess If she were to use them and got an amazing gig based on the fab work of the key m/u artist, and didn't meet expectations, the consequences would be grave.

Mar 13 06 12:35 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

As if Eric doesn't already know the answer. I think he just posts things (pretending he doesn't know) just for the sake of conversation. Admit it. lol.

Have the assistant contact the makeup artist and get permission, instead of calling the makeup artist yourself.

You seem like a nice guy who doesn't want to make problems for anybody... so by having the assistant contact the makeup artist for permission will also hopefully show the makeup artist that you respect him/her to protect their work. And the assistant should also appreciate your position, because if it were the other way around...

Mar 13 06 02:40 pm Link