Forums > Photography Talk > Canon 10D + Lake Michigan= HELP!!!!!

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ok
Here's my story. I was shooting a model yesterday evening (Sunday at 5:30pm). I was using a tripod like always and was ankle deep in the water. I've done this type of shoot before numerous times and had no problems except for yesterday. I stepped from behind the camera for 1 sec, I heard a splash, turn to see my camera fall lens first into the lake. It was there for only a second as I franticly picked it up.
Luckily I had some canned air and a duster to get rid of the visible sand but I'm extemely worried about the lens and electronics. I'm taking my baby to Helix as soon as they open this morning to see if they can help.
My main concern or course is the body. I know there is still something wrong cuz the menus are still a bit crazy when they come on and images are fuzzy when taken. The lens (28-200) has a bit of visible water on the inside of the lens and will not extend easily. Obviously I've left it extended to see if the air will evaporate some of the water.
So besides me being a dumb ass, what do you guys think? Is my camera salvagable? Is the lens toast? HELP!

Rich

[email protected] (for PM's) Thanks for any advice you can give!

Jun 27 05 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

OUCH!!!

Depending on the cost of a complete clean-up, you might start thinking about getting another body...Sad, but might be true...

Jun 27 05 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

As far as I can tell from my experience, Canon is pretty resistant against rude treatment.. yikes)

Still - I would suggest professional help especially when it comes to the body. The water has definately confuse the electronic and need to be cleaned and dried on a microskopic basis...

After that it should be function perfectly. So your camra is still alive - just a little dizzy ;o)

Jun 27 05 07:58 am Link

Photographer

ericphotonyc

Brooklyn, New York, US

You always wanted that 20D anyway, right?

Jun 27 05 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Robb Radford

Margate, Florida, US

OK being a Broadcast Engineer who deals with TV Photogs doing really stupid stuff because well they don't give a rats arse. Here is what needs to be done.

Open the camera and let it sit. clean any exposed areas with DISTILLED water. Clean all contacts with distilled water. Get the camera to the shop where the tech will open the camera up and surprise clean it with distilled water and dry it off. The problems will come from not the water but the chemicals and particles in the water. Once the water evaporates it leaves these items on the circuit board and thats where all the problems come from. THe initial problems of shorting because of the water will clear as it dries but the long term problems from what's left is what needs to be taken care of.

Jun 27 05 08:13 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Sounds lost but if you have any hope then you need a professional to tell you it is lost.

Or go on-line to get some silia-gel packs,  the ones that come in containers of metal that can be reheated.  The enclose the equipment in tupperware and suck the water out.  Or a dehumidifier full blast in a closet.

Or put in a gold fish and take some stock shots with your new  20D.

Robb's advice above is logical and do that first.

Jun 27 05 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by ericphotonyc: 
You always wanted that 20D anyway, right?

I only wish I has the $$ for one right now! Why did I get rid of my back up rebel? GRRRR!!!!

Jun 27 05 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

Damn cameras! When will they learn that they cannot swim!! My 10D decided to jump in the pool off my tripod. Apparently, they think they're acrobats too!! Anyhow, it never recovered and as since been replaced by the 20D. Although I'm not sure I needed to spend the extra 2k, I'm more than happy with my new toy...Hopefully this one likes to stay dry!!! smile

Jun 27 05 08:21 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Does your insurance cover that? I'm not a pro, so I have a rider to our home owner's insurance for all my equipment.

Jun 27 05 10:47 am Link

Photographer

ThruMyLens Photography

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

The distilled water is the right place to start. Basically, you have little to nothing to loose since it's already been soaked...

Remove the lense, battery and memory card and rinse all openings with distilled water. Let air dry. I would repeat the process once more.

Now, all the major contaminants have been cleared. You still need to properly clean the sensor. I would use the Pec-Pad method, but with the pad liberally wetted with PEC fluid (pure methonol). Then clean again normally.

My final concern would be shutter and mirror lubrication. I assume the tracks/rails/joins are slightly lubricated and that these would need service. I would check a service center about this and send it out if necessary.

At the end, there's still no guarantee it will work.

As for the lense, unless it's an L lense it may be cheaper to simply replace it...

Jun 27 05 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Under H2O

Anchorage, Alaska, US

Hi,

As you can tell from my avatar, I've put a camera into the water a few times...:-)  Usually it's in an underwater housing, but accidents happen...

If the camera was turned on when it fell over, the chances are that you actually blew a fuse in the camera.  I did this with my Fuji S2 when I got about 1" of water in the bottom of the camera. 

With a camera that has been immersed in salt water, the freshwater rinse is vital because it stops the corrosion.  With a camera that went into fresh water, and especially a digital camera, it will just make things worse.  The best thing to do is blow dry it and get it in for repair ASAP.

Cheers
James

Jun 27 05 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Neck strap and quick release if you really need the tripod in the water will fix it next time ;-)

Jun 27 05 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

William Herbert

Bryan, Ohio, US

Posted by Rich Mohr: 
Ok
Here's my story. I was shooting a model yesterday evening (Sunday at 5:30pm). I was using a tripod like always and was ankle deep in the water. I've done this type of shoot before numerous times and had no problems except for yesterday. I stepped from behind the camera for 1 sec, I heard a splash, turn to see my camera fall lens first into the lake. It was there for only a second as I franticly picked it up.
Luckily I had some canned air and a duster to get rid of the visible sand but I'm extemely worried about the lens and electronics. I'm taking my baby to Helix as soon as they open this morning to see if they can help.
My main concern or course is the body. I know there is still something wrong cuz the menus are still a bit crazy when they come on and images are fuzzy when taken. The lens (28-200) has a bit of visible water on the inside of the lens and will not extend easily. Obviously I've left it extended to see if the air will evaporate some of the water.
So besides me being a dumb ass, what do you guys think? Is my camera salvagable? Is the lens toast? HELP!

Rich

[email protected] (for PM's) Thanks for any advice you can give!

I would take the camera and lense and set outside in the sun to evaporate as much water as possible. Maybe worthless exercise..maybe not. Any note you want to get the humidity/ water evaporated.

Jun 28 05 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Here's an update:

Currently my camera is flying to NY to a Canon Repair center. The diagnosis looks good but the recovery time will take a while (min. 6-8 weeks). sad
I just invested in a back up Canon Rebel (blk body) so I'll still be able to shoot but I miss my baby!!!
Thanks for all the advice guys n gals!!

Rich

Jul 01 05 11:34 am Link