Forums > Photography Talk > Need help in the creation of a contract for commercial work

Photographer

Moonsbreath

Brownwood, Texas, US

I have secured a commercial venture with a jewelry store and will be creating lifestyle shots for the store's ads and website.  I have already completed a test shoot for the store at no charge, and I will be reducing my rates for the chance to shoot for this business, since it is a great opportunity; however, when we get ready for a scheduled extensive shoot, I want to have a contract on hand that states that while the proprietor can use the images for any purpose related to the business, I maintain rights to the photos.  The owner will also be responsible for the modeling fees and for my compensation, so this probably would need to be included.

Do any seasoned photographers/models have some expert advice to share? Is there a sample contract online that I could use as an example?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Jun 27 05 09:48 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

A Jewelry company may not be happy with giving you copyright. 
Tread lightly with that one.

Try ASMP.  They have books and have some information online, including the issues of copyright and usage for such shoots.

Jun 27 05 10:29 am Link

Photographer

TheScarletLetterSeries

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

Try Blinkbid.....Software helps you with making bids.  Terms and conditions included in your bid/invoice.

ken

Jun 27 05 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Wittman Visual

Appleton, Wisconsin, US

You need to know exactly where the photos will be used.

You said the "store's ads." 

Ads in what?  National magazines?  Regional magazines?  Whats the circulation of these publications?  Newspapers?  Full page ads?  Half page ads?  Color or Black/White?  Billboards?

All of these questions effects what the company pays for "Usage Fees."

Often times, companies will pay usage fees for rights of SPECIFIC usages in North America for one year.

Any usage outside of the specified manner, or after one year will incur further costs.  (Usually 75% of original invoice for second year, 50% third, and so on.)

Many companies are also not aware that the images cannot be on their website unless it is specified in the usage agreement.  They often take this for granted.  Electronic rights are a SEPERATE matter.  It has been litigated numerous times.  If they want the image on their site, they pay for it.

Many companies will also try to sucker lesser experienced photographers into copyright buyouts so they don't have to deal with the above.  Avoid "Work for Hire" at all costs.  It is the kiss of death to photographers.  Much of your profit comes from usage fees.  If they take that away, you make nothing on the deal.

Good luck to you.

Scott @ Reign

Jun 27 05 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by marksora: 
A Jewelry company may not be happy with giving you copyright. 
Tread lightly with that one.

Try ASMP.  They have books and have some information online, including the issues of copyright and usage for such shoots.

ahem, they won't be able to give him copyright, he has it. You mean they will probably want him to give them copyright or something akin to it. However he should avoid it as has already been mentioned.

Checking out the ASMP or APA is good advice indeed though.

In fact the ASMP has recently set up a site for the purpose of newer or aspiring photographers to ask questions and get advice on biz issues from experienced working photographes, some of the best and most experienced in fact. And the ASMP's head legal counsel will often be answering questions on legal issues. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ASMPproAdvice/

You can get good forms from the ASMP or APA if you were a member, but you can also get them from the free program [url="http://zimberoff.com/photobyte.htm"[/url]

Have you already established this "reduced" rate or been told that you needed to do that in order to secure the job or are you just assuming you'll need to? I don't think you should just offer that out of the blue, they already have seen and like your work so don't sell yourself short. But if you do give them a discount there are two important things, #1 make sure they realize this is a special, and one time, discounted fee, and reflect that on your invoice. #2 You should always get something if you give something. So if you reduce your rate to meet a budget they should either get something less (less usage rights, less shots etc.) or you should get something more in exchange, that could mean a credit line in the ads (usually not done in advertising), extra copies of a brochure for your marketing materials, free or discounted jewelry or something else of value.

Show your full fee in your paperwork with some percentage "comped" or crossed out with the discounted fee as part of making sure they understand these aren't your regular rates and you don't get the reputation as the cheap guy.

Jun 28 05 02:02 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Aaron_H: 
ahem, they won't be able to give him copyright, he has it. You mean they will probably want him to give them copyright or something akin to it. However he should avoid it as has already been mentioned.

Aaron, Aaron, Aaron,  it is not so black and white..

The jewelry company will be aware of the work for hire issues and from experience I can tell you that they will cling to this right.  If they pay for the work and the conditions are met then it is owned and copyrighted by the employer. 

From the ASMP site.

WORK FOR HIRE
Work for hire is another way the client can become the copyright owner. The difference between work for hire and a copyright transfer is rather simple. In the case of a copyright transfer you own the copyright until you transfer it. In a work for hire situation you never own the copyright. It is owned by the client from the moment the work is created, and the client is by law the author of the photograph. The photographer is denied authorship and is treated as a tool of the client.

Work for hire exist automatically in the case of an employee taking photographs for the employer. As provided in the copyright law, no agreements are required.

An independent contractor ("freelancer") can do a work for hire only in certain circumstances. First, the work must be commissioned-that is specifically ordered by someone, and if it is commissioned, it can be a work for hire only if the photograph comes within one of the nine specific categories enumerated in the copyright act as qualifying for a work for hire:

Contribution to a collective work Contribution to a motion picture or audio-visual work Translation Supplementary work Compilation Instructional text Test Answer material for a test Atlas

The category most frequently involving photographers is a contribution to a collective work such as a magazine or other periodical.

WORK FOR HIRE AND COPYRIGHT TRANSFER DIFFERENCES
  Although many see work for hire and copyright transfer as the same thing, they are not.

Under the law, if you transfer the copyright you can get it back after thirty five years. This "recapture" provision of the law was designed to allow photographers the eventual control over their body of work. Also, when negotiating a copyright transfer you have the ownership and can bargain for the price of the copyright.

In a work for hire situation you never have the copyright. You have no recapture right at any time. You are simply selling your services for a fee. That fee should reflect the present and the future value of the copyright. If you signed a work for hire and later want the copyright to the work, the only way you can get it is to negotiate with the copyright owner to transfer it to you.

Finally, a work for hire will apply to all photographs taken on the assignment, not just to those used by the client. A transfer of copyright can be customized and apply to all the photographs or some portion thereof, such as only those used by the client.
======

Jun 28 05 03:46 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

link to ASMP NJ

link to photonotes.org

link to google search for work for hire

link to  circular from the U.S. Government Copyright Office on Work for Hire

===

The jewelry company is almost certain to be aware of the conditions to have the photos become automatically their property.

Maybe not,  But you might be chasing away the client before you get in the door.

Your advice is valid but not the only way to look at the issue.  Jewelry companies are very sensative to their designs and the leaking of these designs.

Jun 28 05 03:47 am Link

Photographer

piers

London, Arkansas, US

Admittedly I'm on thin ice here as WFH does not exist in the UK... but a quick browse throws up this:

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ9.html#determining

Specifically this bit:

If a work is created by an independent contractor (that is, someone who is not an employee under the general common law of agency), then the work is a specially ordered or commissioned work, and part 2 of the statutory definition applies. Such a work can be a work made for hire only if both of the following conditions are met: (1) it comes within one of the nine categories of works listed in part 2 of the definition and (2) there is a written agreement between the parties specifying that the work is a work made for hire.

Which I take to mean that there is nothing that the client can do that will force the WFH situation unless you as a photographer agree to it. Sure, failing to agree to it could be a deal breaker - but it doesn't happen automatically.

For the concerns that the jewellery designer may have, the end result would be better met by using exclusivity terms.  WFH, and our nearest equivalent; the copyright grab, should be avoided.

Jun 28 05 04:42 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

The tricky part is the definition of independent contractor.  Legal mumbeljumble in favor of the employers most often.

All I am saying is based on the nature of jewelry photography,  do not act like a bull in a china shop.

Jun 28 05 04:44 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

How ironic, I made a post about this very topic on the PDN forum last night. Piers hit on exactly the right issue.

Mark, you must read the work for hire provision carefully. This isn't tricky at all Mark, it's the very basis of what independant photographers do, we own the copyright to the work we produce and (if we're smart) we license the usage rights to it. We are in no way, shape, or form, "employees" of clients that hire us. Read the section "Employer-Employee relationship under agency law" in circular 9.

Photographers get hired by clients every day to shoot products, including jewelry, and they keep their copyrights and license usage rights unless they specifically sign WFH agreements. Yes, many clients will tell you "the other guy" or "everyone else" signs WFH or gives all rights or "doesn't bother them with all this usage and copyright stuff," but generally they are just trying to see what they can get away with and hoping you go along with it. For some it might even be true because so many photographers don't know any better,  don't believe in themselves, are scared, or don't have any special talent, skill, style or vision to make themselves desireable so they can only compete on price and accept whatever terms are offered.

Jun 28 05 06:57 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by marksora: 
Maybe not,  But you might be chasing away the client before you get in the door.

Your advice is valid but not the only way to look at the issue.  Jewelry companies are very sensative to their designs and the leaking of these designs.

Well it's true you can chase away clients by talking usage, usually clients you'd be better off not having in the first place. But if you just try to find out what their real needs are you accomodate those needs within the usage model and explain how it is cheaper for them to only pay for the usage they actually need and will use than to pay for unlimited use or a copyright transfer.

As far as Jewelry goes, he said it was a store not a designer, although it may be both, but regardless, the leaking of any designs has absolutely nothing whatsover to do with WFH, copyright, usage or anything we've been discussing. If leaking the design before it goes public was a concern they can make a confidentiality agreement or simply discuss the issue ahead of time and decide if they trust the potential photographer or not. But that issue of trust and such an agreement would be needed regardless of the rights issues. Corporate, industrial and advertising photographers operate under confidentiality and NDA agreements every day, but completely apart from what business model they use regarding usage.

Jun 28 05 07:13 am Link

Photographer

Moonsbreath

Brownwood, Texas, US

Thank you to everyone.  I've been perusing each post and I've already benefitted from your wisdom.  I will pick the ASMP site and see what I can derive from it.

I haven't signed anything from the owner (who sells and assists in designing the product).  I have received a sample contract from another kind photographer and will most likely work up a contract of my own stating the store's usage rights.  I don't think the owner will have a problem with that.  If he does, I'll have to seek work elsewhere, cuz I'm not givin' my imagery away.

Also, see what a man's world photography is (we'll save that topic for another post...teehee).  Everyone assumes I'm a guy, but I most definitely am not. ;c)

Jun 28 05 07:49 am Link

Photographer

rwspangler

Springfield, Virginia, US

no one seemed to mention use rights... creative fees or any of the important stuff. yes, JOIN ASMP and LEARN about copyrights, use rights and fees.

Roger Spangler
Programs Chairman
ASMP San Diego

Jun 28 05 10:16 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Aaron_H: 

Well it's true you can chase away clients by talking usage, usually clients you'd be better off not having in the first place. But if you just try to find out what their real needs are you accomodate those needs within the usage model and explain how it is cheaper for them to only pay for the usage they actually need and will use than to pay for unlimited use or a copyright transfer.

I disagree with you there. 

No need to state again what I used to make from a jewelry company but simply put,  I was WELL compensated for giving up my rights and not being a bitch about it.

I will try to find some of my old contracts. 

I get your point but the jewelry world is a bit sensative on all of these issues.  Ask a lawyer who deals with these issues everyday if it is a grey area or not. 

Oh well,  I think there are grey areas.

Jun 28 05 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by rwspangler: 
no one seemed to mention use rights... creative fees or any of the important stuff.

Yes, no one is my middle name

Jun 28 05 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Posted by marksora: 

Posted by Aaron_H: 

I disagree with you there. 

No need to state again what I used to make from a jewelry company but simply put,  I was WELL compensated for giving up my rights and not being a bitch about it.

I will try to find some of my old contracts. 

I get your point but the jewelry world is a bit sensative on all of these issues.  Ask a lawyer who deals with these issues everyday if it is a grey area or not. 

Oh well,  I think there are grey areas.

Well Mark, when photographers themselves consider holding on to our meagre rights being "a bitch" it well illustrates, illuminates & exacerbates the problems we face in the photo industry.

I have no idea what your definition of WEll compensated was, but I can assure you that plenty of other photographers are well compensated for assignments while holding onto copyright and licensing usage rights, and then they are further well compensated when clients extend, expand or renew the usage rights or when they license the work as stock down the road. I think you might be surprised at how much people get paid using those practices and what kind of additional streams they get from stock.

Explain what gray areas you're talking about and why they're gray?

Jun 28 05 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Well I had a well written long reply but it was lost.

But let me summerize until I can rewrite it.

I just had an interview for a jewelry job where the photographer previous made over $90,000 a year and they wanted to pay $25,000.  So it is important to know what is happening.  I went to the interview thinking that I was bidding for a $90,000 job but learned I was not.  This is reality. 

==
I stated in an earlier thread,  I got a jewelry job that was posted at a school for $8 an hour.  I walked in and applied but told them I needed at least 150 a day to start.  There was the expectation that I would move forward.  I did,  soon making $400 a day for 7 easy hours of work with no equipment or studio money out of my pocket.  I made contracts stating I was guarenteed 20 days of work a month.

The job was meant to last 4 months but lasted over 2 1/2 years.  I never argued about rights.  I gradually pushed for more as I went along.  All printed materials had my name on them giving me credit.  I was given over 200 of each printed item each time the company printed anything.

I excepted things out of good faith and was rewarded.  I paid my own taxes,  so I may very well own the copyright.
But I was treated well and with respect every step of the way.  So why fight?  They gave me what I wanted.  I did sign releases for use of the images for promotional uses when leaving.  I was paid double for a month to teach some of what I knew.

Blah, blah,

Stock for jewelry??

The job needs to be offered to you before you can decline it or ask for more.

===

I was taught business practices by a lawyer/photographer and I am friend with an entertainment lawyer.  I do prepare myself with the law.  I have been told that work for hire is  a grey area often.  Maybe Mr. Spangler can expand on the possible grey areas.

Jun 28 05 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Well work for hire can be a tricky thing or filled with gray areas in actual employee/employer situations, but the idea that a freelance photographer doing a normal freelance assignment for a client could be considered an employee, and that his assignment work could be considered work for hire without an express work for hire agreement, is simply not a gray area. If your lawyer friends think it is then it's time to consult some new lawyers. Joel Hecker is one of, if not the, top copyright lawyers in the country, he's in your town, ask him. You also have many of the most knoweldgeable people in this stuff in your local chapters of both the ASMP and APA, ask them.

Back to the pricing, I'm not sure how we went from 90 grand to 25 grand to 400 bucks a day? If you were talking 90 or 25 grand we could have a discussion. But work for hire for 400 bucks a day? Mark, New York and San Francisco have the highest average fees in the country, and most of the top photographers shooting advertising are using creative or photographers fees, mostly determined by usage and the scope of the job, not by day rates.

But when people were using day rates, or for people who still are using them, they also had (unfortunately) "half day" rates, generally a half day was 60 to 75% of a full day rate and anything over 4 hours was a full day. So even at a half day rate 400 bucks would be almost unheard of low even in the most podunk of markets... but you're talking $400 for a full day and tossing in the copyright to boot... in NYC... there are assistants in NYC making close to that much a day

Jun 29 05 06:24 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Aaron,

Go back and read my posts.  Not all jobs are made the same.
It is great to have a great DAY rate,  but if you are home then what good is it.  Maybe I miss stated something in my rewriting.  I get your point but you are missing mine.

Let me put me idea into a simple phrase.  Trying to get jobs is like the game of horseshoes,  close does not count.

Have a good day.

Jun 29 05 09:46 am Link