Forums > General Industry > Model release for TFP

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

Zopilote wrote:

TF and tests are two different things. If I do a TF with a model, she gets images she can use to market herself, I get images I can sell. A trade of services.

Just curious if you would shoot a model TF if she said she wanted those images for her paid membership website?

Sep 07 08 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

J Lanzara

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

ddtphoto wrote:

in case what? you're model dies while giving a blowjob to brad pit so that you can sell the photo to people magazine?

i mean, really... what are you planning on doing with the photos in your port that isn't inherently covered via creative license and self promotion?

Speaking of releases and models releasing brad pitt, some years ago I shot a typical 'internet model' for my friend's website - photos that made her look kind of slutty. A few years ago I got a call out of the blue from some gossip mag in LA, saying they saw a picture I did of her (since I put my name on the low res digital photos I gave her and I guess they saw the images after searching for her). It turned out the girl was linked with brad pitt while he was dating someone else and it was said they were having a romance, and the gossip mags were all over it, desperate for info about the girl. Not that I really needed it, but I couldn't find the goddamn model release I had her sign and I wondered if she even signed one (I was pretty sure she did). It goes to show you never know who is going to get famous and how a release will help you. (I wound up calling the girl and she didn't really want me to release the pictures, so I didn't, but I could have since it was an editorial use).

Sep 07 08 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

PYPI FASHION wrote:

Just curious if you would shoot a model TF if she said she wanted those images for her paid membership website?

Depends on the model.
I can think of one that the answer would be yes... and I would sign a work for hire agreement

Sep 07 08 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

EL Perdido

TERLINGUA, Texas, US

PYPI FASHION wrote:

Nope

Sep 07 08 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Signed release for everything. Especially test shoots.
As mentioned in an earlier post: SR = CYA

You and the model might have the best intentions, but when other parties come into the mix, you may find yourself in a situation where you have to protect yourself and your time/investment.

Even if your initial investment is minimal, no one wants to have their creations used by someone else, without permission.

Also keep in mind that a release works both ways...

Sep 07 08 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

J Lanzara

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

ddtphoto wrote:

in case what? you're model dies while giving a blowjob to brad pit so that you can sell the photo to people magazine?

i mean, really... what are you planning on doing with the photos in your port that isn't inherently covered via creative license and self promotion?

Speaking of releases and models releasing brad pitt, some years ago I shot a typical 'internet model' for my friend's website - photos that made her look kind of slutty. A few years ago I got a call out of the blue from some gossip mag in LA, saying they saw a picture I did of her (since I put my name on the low res digital photos I gave her and I guess they saw the images after searching for her). It turned out the girl was linked with brad pitt while he was dating someone else and it was said they were having a romance, and the gossip mags were all over it, desperate for info about the girl. Not that I really needed it, but I couldn't find the goddamn model release I had her sign and I wondered if she even signed one (I was pretty sure she did). It goes to show you never know who is going to get famous and how a release will help you. (I wound up calling the girl and she didn't really want me to release the pictures, so I didn't, but I could have since it was an editorial use).

Sep 07 08 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

NewBoldPhoto wrote:

Depends on the model.
I can think of one that the answer would be yes... and I would sign a work for hire agreement

And your answer goes to show the vast difference between a test and TF. Traditionally, test images are never used commercially. A TF can be structured exactly like a test or it can include a stipulation that image can only be shown during full moons. TF is what ever people make of it.

Sep 07 08 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

figaroGraphics Studio wrote:
Also keep in mind that a release works both ways...

A release is a one way document it takes rights from the model  and gives them to the photographer (in this case)
A license is a one way document it takes rights from the photographer and gives them to the model (in this case)
Yes the two documents can be put into one document but the resulting document is no longer a release.

Sep 07 08 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PYPI FASHION wrote:
And your answer goes to show the vast difference between a test and TF. Traditionally, test images are never used commercially. A TF can be structured exactly like a test or it can include a stipulation that image can only be shown during full moons. TF is what ever people make of it.

Exactly... I agree 100%

Edited to add: A "test" involves a third party, the agency, the rules are set years ago, both the model and the shooter accept those rules... or ignore them at their own peril.
On a TF the model and I can set whatever term we wish so why should we not both get the best deal we can for our efforts.

Sep 07 08 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Sherman Cox Photography

Huntington Beach, California, US

A release is mandatory before I shoot.  Period. End of discussion.

Sep 07 08 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

ddtphoto wrote:
didn't think so.

i think you could have held your ground unless you were receiving income directly via sales of said work.

i'm going to assume here that you must have used said images in some commercial form for it to have even gone this far.

Nope.  My printed portfolio and some single-edition prints in 2 local galleries.  The release specifically precluded use in the internet or most forms of publication.

Their claim was that simply by having exhibited nude photos of her in any form, including my portfolio, I'd damaged her reputation.

Sep 07 08 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

PYPI FASHION wrote:

I have on a one-for-one trade.  We shoot one hour material for mu use, one hour material for her use.

Sep 07 08 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

NewBoldPhoto wrote:

No, we are not as a "test" with an internet model does not come with the same promise of more agency models that a test would.

oh, i see.

so then you are trying to tell me that whether or not you pay your talent and what usages you are legally entitled to are all based upon your own perceptions of that talents "promise".

lol

yeah, the judge is gunna say, "well, did you think she was hot?"

and you say, "no your honor, i can honestly tell you that said talent did not provoke an erection."

"no erection!? case dismissed!"

Sep 07 08 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

PYPI FASHION wrote:

Which's exactly what I've been saying.  smile

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

ddtphoto wrote:

if your intent is to sell the work, then you should pay the model at least $1 and have her sign a release.  i mean, why should she work for free when you've got cash intent?

that is not a "test"

Ruff, ruff.  I like the way you think.  I learned something from a good friend
recently and on MM.  How odd.  Anyway a Test shoot with a model signed
with a agency doesn't require a release.  Agency models won't sign one anyway
and its generally understood that Test shoots are used both parties for
self promotional use.

Not so with a model who isn't a agency model and may not be aware of what
will be done with her images.   Silly as it sounds she could say that she
had no ideal you would use her images on-line on sites like MM.  While most
lawyers would laugh at her suing you and suits cost cash it could be a pain.
I say, save yourself the aggravation and have some sort of release. 
Even a model who understands your using her images could come at you
with some crap about how and where her images were used.

A release at least offers some written proof of what you both agreed too.
In this day of lawsuits better safe then sorry.

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Ruff, ruff.  I like the way you think.  I learned something from a good friend
recently and on MM.  How odd.  Anyway a Test shoot with a model signed
with a agency doesn't require a release.  Agency models won't sign one anyway
and its generally understood that Test shoots are used both parties for
self promotional use.

Not so with a model who isn't a agency model and may not be aware of what
will be done with her images.   Silly as it sounds she could say that she
had no ideal you would use her images on-line on sites like MM.  While most
lawyers would laugh at her suing you and suits cost cash it could be a pain.
I say, save yourself the aggravation and have some sort of release. 
Even a model who understands your using her images could come at you
with some crap about how and where her images were used.

A release at least offers some written proof of what you both agreed too.
In this day of lawsuits better safe then sorry.

Right.  Which's why I laugh when people try to force standards based on agency style tests on to TFP internet modeling situations.

Apples & elephants.

Sep 07 08 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

EL Perdido

TERLINGUA, Texas, US

ddtphoto wrote:

oh, i see.

so then you are trying to tell me that whether or not you pay your talent and what usages you are legally entitled to are all based upon your own perceptions of that talents "promise".

lol

yeah, the judge is gunna say, "well, did you think she was hot?"

and you say, "no your honor, i can honestly tell you that said talent did not provoke an erection."

"no erection!? case dismissed!"

Your arguments are both asnine and uninformed

Sep 07 08 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

ddtphoto wrote:

oh, i see.

lol

That is exactly what I am telling you.
If you want to shoot for fun that is fine with me ... knock yourself out... If what the model has to offer is not worth my time, we don't shoot.

Sep 07 08 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

RG Insights

Maryland Heights, Missouri, US

Always... always get a release.

I use a release in which compensation for the shoot is spelled out.   In the case of TF* shoots I put in the compensation area "Time for Images Trade" which then means that if there is a dispute over forms or amount of payment, I can go back to the release and show that it was done in exchange for the photographs.

My only stipulation I put on the use of the photos from a TF* shoot is that the images not be altered, copyright notice intact, and appropriate credit given.  The images can be used for promotion by the model, though if they were to be used on a model's pay site on the web, then I would use a different solution, which would be a license release to use the images and have the model pay a licensing fee, or some other form of royalty payment could be negotiated as well.

In any case, ALL work I do I get a release for.   I also take photos of the ID's presented to me so I can show precise evidence of what I received for proof of age, even if no nudity is involved.   Why?  Because then I can show that the model was at least of the age of majority and hence competent to sign the release, which is engaging in a contract.

Sep 07 08 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Right.  Which's why I laugh when people try to force standards based on agency style tests on to TFP internet modeling situations.

Apples & elephants.

I'm not sure if use on networking sites like MM qualify as commercial use
or not.  If you self identify as a hobbyist I guess your safe but if you
don't would it be reasonable to think that you're a pro.  If a pro and using
images of models and not having some sort of release could be problematic.

Lets say a model does a shoot and doesn't sign a release.  While shooting
part of her breast is exposed or her crotch.  You post your art on-line and
she goes waitaminute you've got some of my naughty bits out and I
didn't want that shown.  You don't have proof just her oral yes its cool
to show my lady bits. 

As a general rule I now think its best to get some sort of written agreement.
Especially for those shooting implied or complete nudes but even some
glam or fashion stuff.  Its not about selling it but its about maybe saving
yourself some grief.  A while back a model and I fought like cats and dogs
over how many images she was to be given.  A release with a exact number
would have saved me some grief.

Sep 07 08 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

remerrill

Arcata, California, US

I'm in California...
here a Release is actually required for any public use... INCLUDING portfolio use.

There are a lot of people that don't bother, but I prefer to CMA... so I do it right.

Sep 07 08 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Sal W Hanna

Huntington Beach, California, US

I use a TF* agreement that was written by Connected Entertainment Organization. Works great, clearly outlines what everyone's roles are and adds value to the work being created.

Sep 07 08 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I'm not sure if use on networking sites like MM qualify as commercial use
or not.  If you self identify as a hobbyist I guess your safe but if you
don't would it be reasonable to think that you're a pro.  If a pro and using
images of models and not having some sort of release could be problematic.

Lets say a model does a shoot and doesn't sign a release.  While shooting
part of her breast is exposed or her crotch.  You post your art on-line and
she goes waitaminute you've got some of my naughty bits out and I
didn't want that shown.  You don't have proof just her oral yes its cool
to show my lady bits. 

As a general rule I now think its best to get some sort of written agreement.
Especially for those shooting implied or complete nudes but even some
glam or fashion stuff.  Its not about selling it but its about maybe saving
yourself some grief.  A while back a model and I fought like cats and dogs
over how many images she was to be given.  A release with a exact number
would have saved me some grief.

Yep.  There's a lot of uncertainty, laws are always changing, and you never know what people are going to to.  A limited release doesn't hurt anyone & is good to have just in case there's a problem.

Sep 07 08 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

PYPI FASHION wrote:

what if i call it a "sample"?

Sep 07 08 11:55 pm Link

Model

Happy_New_Year

JAMAICA PLAIN, Massachusetts, US

I've always thought releases were pretty much the standard. But out of all the times I've shot with someone for TFP, I've never signed a release. All 6 or 7 times.

One even gave me all untouched photos.

The photographers I know are gutsy I guess, but I would never take advantage of that anyway. I can see where it gives a lot of leeway for other models to do so though. :S

Sep 07 08 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

Too Hot For Snakes

TERLINGUA, Texas, US

SW Hanna - So Cal wrote:
I use a TF* agreement that was written by Connected Entertainment Organization. Works great, clearly outlines what everyone's roles are and adds value to the work being created.

Is that the website that copied Model Mayhem almost to the letter?

Sep 07 08 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

glamour pics

Los Angeles, California, US

ddtphoto wrote:

if your intent is to sell the work, then you should pay the model at least $1 and have her sign a release.  i mean, why should she work for free when you've got cash intent?

that is not a "test"

If she's working TF with a good photographer, the images she gets are worth a heck of a lot more than $1.

As to a release, a release is arguably needed even for self-advertising and portfolio use, as here on MM. This may vary with state and country, of course.

As far as a "power trip" I do not know what the OP is trying to say.

Sep 07 08 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

i am not comfortable shooting without one, when doing trade work. after all i see it as permission to take the picture in the first place

Sep 07 08 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

LeDeux Art wrote:
i am not comfortable shooting without one, when doing trade work. after all i see it as permission to take the picture in the first place

i guess i just assume in my naiveté that when someone shows up where and when i told them to that they assumed i was going to take their picture as i said i would.

i just want to hear from one person who went to court because of an image that they had not used commercially, and was saved by a model release.

just because you get someone to sign a silly piece of paper doesn't mean that it is going to hold up in court.

my argument here is that if you are using an image for self-promotion then your rights as a photographer are inherent.

if later on that image should turn into a revenue stream then, release or not, you best believe you will settle out of court.

Sep 08 08 12:08 am Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Nope.  My printed portfolio and some single-edition prints in 2 local galleries.  The release specifically precluded use in the internet or most forms of publication.

Their claim was that simply by having exhibited nude photos of her in any form, including my portfolio, I'd damaged her reputation.

lol

so your own release specifically precluded your usage?

i mean, for christ sakes, talk about the dog chasing his tail.

Sep 08 08 12:13 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

ddtphoto wrote:
i guess i just assume in my naiveté that when someone shows up where and when i told them to that they assumed i was going to take their picture as i said i would.

i just want to hear from one person who went to court because of an image that they had not used commercially, and was saved by a model release.

I was saved from GOING to court by one, and was only out $2000 in legal fees for it.

Sep 08 08 12:13 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

ddtphoto wrote:
lol

so your own release specifically precluded your usage?

i mean, for christ sakes, talk about the dog chasing his tail.

I thought your rationale for not granting using a release (other than you feeling it's not necessary) is that a "test" is only supposed to be for publicity purposes.
Now you're criticizing me for using a release that specifies that?

Sep 08 08 12:15 am Link

Photographer

James Shuster

HARFORD, Pennsylvania, US

ddtphoto wrote:

A few months back shot with a model that lived in NY I and my studio are in PA,
No release signed, placed images on-line a few days later recieved a letter from her attorney Demanding the images be removed under NY State Privicy Laws.. Yes she was in my studio in PA but because the images could be seen from her computer in NY with out a release I could not use them on-line. Yes I had a Judge friend of mine review and guess what ? Had to remove them.. So I have over 200 images that are of no use to me... Try it and see what happens.. NY, CA and many other states have these new laws...
So No release no Shoot!!!!

Been there done that Once and learned...

Sep 08 08 12:17 am Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

James Shuster wrote:

A few months back shot with a model that lived in NY I and my studio are in PA,
No release signed, placed images on-line a few days later recieved a letter from her attorney Demanding the images be removed under NY State Privicy Laws.. Yes she was in my studio in PA but because the images could be seen from her computer in NY with out a release I could not use them on-line. Yes I had a Judge friend of mine review and guess what ? Had to remove them.. So I have over 200 images that are of no use to me... Try it and see what happens.. NY, CA and many other states have these new laws...
So No release no Shoot!!!!

Been there done that Once and learned...

I'm willing to bet it was not an agency model.

Sep 08 08 12:19 am Link

Photographer

James Shuster

HARFORD, Pennsylvania, US

PYPI FASHION wrote:
I'm willing to bet it was not an agency model.

and you would be correct, it was a MM model that is no longer modeling...

Sep 08 08 12:20 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

I'd like to know why there's always one guy in these threads who talks about being a pro shooter & all his agency tests who likes to rant about how we're all idiots for requiring releases, or exploiting the models by getting them, without acknowledging the differing realities we operate in or that we can use a release that covers us without exploiting the model.

Why is it such a big deal that they so badly need to condemn?

Sep 08 08 12:21 am Link

Photographer

EL Perdido

TERLINGUA, Texas, US

How many agency models are on MM anyway?

Sep 08 08 12:23 am Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

ddtphoto wrote:

just because you get someone to sign a silly piece of paper doesn't mean that it is going to hold up in court.

Almeida v. Amazon

Sep 08 08 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

SLE Photography wrote:
I'd like to know why there's always one guy in these threads who talks about being a pro shooter & all his agency tests who likes to rant about how we're all idiots for requiring releases, or exploiting the models by getting them, without acknowledging the differing realities we operate in or that we can use a release that covers us without exploiting the model.

Why is it such a big deal that they so badly need to condemn?

Hi, James I understand his point but if he is shooting models with agencies
its not a problem because its generally understood but someone who isn't
perhaps aware of how things work could and might claim they didn't know
and you have a problem.  Maybe not a legal one but a personal one where
it could quickly become he said she said and hurts you.  That being in smaller
areas with models. 

A written release that spells out usage, amount of images given and other
things can save a whole lot of back peddling.  Lets say a model claims
you promised her Raw files instead of Jpeg.  Maybe she says after some
nudes were done that she had no plans to pose nude and you tricked her
into posing.   Silly as that may sound having a model sign something
confirms that she has taken the time (hopefully) to read and understands
what she is doing.  This vs. just posing and later blaming some goof for
her nudes.

People tend to not be so willing to come at you in a negative way when they
sign a release.  Its not so much about lawsuits as it is about being
clear about exactly what's being done.  If you plan to sell your work and
most here don't then pay your models.  TFP/Test shoots aren't about
profit.

Sep 08 08 12:36 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

i just stopped back by to see what Mr Lawrence has to say, he is often the voice of reason

Sep 08 08 12:37 am Link