Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Make-up advice for stage production

Model

Pinky

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I need some advice about make-up, body make-up, liquid make-up, etc.  I will be producing a stage show in Oct.  It will be a vaudeville variety show modernized with a Halloween theme.  It will have comedy, music, specialty acts, and dancing girls.  I would like to budget my money wisely.  I need to find a good make-up which I can use on the body by applying it with an airbrush.  I would need to find colors such as a deep red (devil girl - not bright red), silver (alien), and a light gray (zombie), also UV or black light colors in blue and green for my alien.  These characters are the ones who will be in full body make-up.  Other performers will be made up, but nothing specific at this point.  I need quality make-up for a reasonable price.  Any suggestions or advice?

Mar 08 06 12:07 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Mehron has a decently priced liquid makeup, but you'll have to mix deep red there's is more of a scarlet. The good thing is their liquid is pretty thick and needs to be thinned with distilled water yielding even more makeup for your $$$.

~Rich

Mar 08 06 12:28 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

why do you need to air brush if its a stage production?? how big is the stage?? if its a huge stage you need to be more "dramatic with you lines" if your going with just a one colour body like all red or all silver why do you need to air brush , you can either paint or sponge it onto the skin, for the stage if theres a little distance you dont need to air brush, acctually you can do a really clean look if you just sponge then you can use an aqua color like a mehron or kryloan or you can get there in a liquid form too.  you can still air brush if you want but  in my experiance with the stage, big and bold is better.
any hoo just my 2 cents smile ..Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Mar 08 06 01:04 am Link

Model

Pinky

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

The stage at the venue is fairly big.  It is an old movie house.  The seating doesn't start right at the edge of the stage but maybe 10-15 feet back and the stage itself is about 4 - 5 feet tall.  Air brushing was just an idea to make application quicker of the base colors for these characters.  There will be other performers to be made up.  The total number of performers in this production could as many as 15 people.  If there was only one MUA, it would be a near impossible feat to make up 15 people in a certain time period including 3 complete body make ups in 5 hours.  I actually hired 2 MUAs, but still the work load is a big one for them.  I also told them I will supply them with anything they will need for the show.  No expense will come out of their pocket.  The reason why I am researching and asking for product recommendation and advice.  These characters need full body because they are the old school dancing girls or strippers, fan dancer, balloon girl, etc.  I understand for stage bold is good, but for a show like this and the work load on the MUAs, bold but swift is good.  Air brushing the make-up on will be just plain and simple quicker.

Mar 08 06 01:28 am Link