Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Hair Stylists: Product Advice?

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

First off: I have long, fine hair, but a lot of it (ie: there are a lot of strands growing out of my head, but my hair is by no means thick), that is pin straight.  What products do you recommend for building volume?  I notice that on pretty much every shoot I do, my hair is attacked (but kindly) with something in a spray can, and then some sort of curling iron/hot rollers, after which, it looks great, and I always think to myself: I should ask what they are using...and then things get rushed and I forget.  I can't for the life of me reproduce this look at home!  And I really want to.  Suggestions?  Help me get Babe Hair, please.

Mar 08 06 05:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Well theres a whole world of products for you hair, I would sudgest products from hair salons over the drugstore brands. usually the products are better quality  you get more for your buck becausse you have to use less. smile I would go to a beauty supply store over a salon because the prices will be lower and they usaully are not on commistion like hair dressers can be. smile  Try a volumizing spray, you can even flip your hair over and then spray from the roots out and then flip your hair back, hit it with some heat to help with the whole "body" issue smile Hope that helps smile Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Mar 08 06 06:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

i like the big sexy hair stuff, but it can be pretty sticky.

Mar 08 06 06:28 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

Thanks Mandy.  And actually, I hate the way my hair looks after they blow it out at the salon.  I always look like a newscaster.  I currently do the blow dry upside down thing, and I use a quarter sized dollop of Marc Antony's Thickening Creme.  But I can never get it as big as I want.

Mar 08 06 07:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I really like Bumble and Bumble's thickening spray.  I also like Big Sexy Hair's line.  But agree that the products are sticky.  Also check out Redken's Spray Starch #15 and Tigi's Curls Rock.  You might want to try sleeping in the pink foam rollers (use with wet hair) Or make sure you use good irons (Chi has good irons) or rollers.

Ashley

Mar 08 06 08:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Oh and I really like your hair in your avatar.  smile

Mar 08 06 08:18 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Luis Rafael

New York, New York, US

OK, HERE YOU GO.  THICK LOOKING HAIR AT HOME (SINCE YOU ARE NOT A STYLIST) SHOULD NOT DEPEND ONLY ON STYLING PRODUCTS.  THE FIRST THING TO CONSIDER IS A GOOD HAIRCUT.  TELL YOUR STYLIST THAT YOU WANT A LOT OF ROUNDED LEAYERS.  IF THIS PERSON KNOW WHAT HE/SHE IS DOING, THEY SHOULD KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS.  THEN ITS YOUR JOB TO KEEP IT FULL.  I WILL RECOMEND TO SHAMPOO AND CONDITION WITH A VOLUMIZING SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER.  I WILL RECOMEND PHYTO.  IM NOT SURE IF ITS SOLD IN YOUR AREA BUT YOU CAN GET IT ONLINE.  ITS A BIT PRICEY, ABOUT $22 BUT YOU ONLY HAVE TO USE A LITTLE BIT SINCE ITS VERY CONCENTRATED.  YOU WILL SAVE SOME MONEY IN THE LONG RUN.  AFTER THIS, YOU CAN SPRAY YOUR SCALP WITH A VOLUMIZING MIST (TRY PHYTO ACTIVE VOLUME OR BUMBLE AND BUMBLE THICKENING SPRAY).  tHEN. YOU JUST DRY IT REGULARLY.  i WILL RECOMEND PUTTING VELCRO ROLLERS AS YOU DRY OR BIG HOT ROLLERS AFTER YOU FINISH DRYING.  SPRAY THE ROLLERS AND WAIT FOR A COUPLE OF MINUTES FOR THE HAIR SPRAY TO DRY BEFORE YOU TAKE THE ROLLERS OUT.  I GUARANTEE YOU, THIS WILL GIVE YOU THE VOLUME THAT YOU NEED.  I HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL TO YOU.  IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME...GOOD LUCK, LUIS

Mar 08 06 10:58 pm Link