Forums > General Industry > GWC - Guy with Camera - The real DEFINITION.......

Photographer

Photos By Neef Fresh

New York, New York, US

The Guys Who Lose There Way And Don't Know Where To Go... Are GWC's (Guys With Compasses) sad

Nov 06 09 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Niche Photography

Conway, Arkansas, US

PhotoJoe wrote:
Why wouldnt you call a Playboy Photographer a GWC. 
He's a Creep, obviously got into the bizz to take pics of naked girls.
and i wouldnt be suprised if he has screwed a few of the models he's shot.

Mmm not sure if you were joking or not, but it is not uncommon that some of the glamour photographers are gay men or straight women and just like the female form, or it is just a good paying job that they fell into.

Nov 06 09 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Bryson Photography

Hollywood, Florida, US

yay for ancient threads. borat

Nov 06 09 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

Hollywood Starlet wrote:
Do you agree with this definition of "GWC?"

GWC -Guy With Camera

Commonly used in the modeling/photographer biz, 'GWC' is any poser/creep with a digital camera pretending to be a pro/semi-pro photographer. With the introduction of digital cameras, GWC's have appeared like an explosion in a toy store.

GWC's typically steal the work of others and don't have any references.
"Some GWC asked me to 'test' for him, what a creep."

"What's with all the GWC's on OneModelPlace.com, lately?"

"Damn GWC's are ruining it for the rest of us." - Pro Photographers

Provided by: www.urbandictionary.com

...or do you have a better definition?

I hope to someday reach the status of GWC. If I practice hard and never give up, I may just get there.

Honestly, I just wish this term would go away. It's more commonly used as an insult than anything else.

In real life for a lot of models, GWC=rent, food, clothing, gas, etc. so they serve their purpose and as long as everyone involved are consenting adults and no one gets hurt, I say let the GWCs have their fun.

Nov 06 09 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Pacha Photo

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Paul Bryson Photography wrote:
yay for ancient threads. borat

and yay for feeling good about putting other people down!

Nov 07 09 12:18 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Photons 2 Pixels Images wrote:
I hope to someday reach the status of GWC. If I practice hard and never give up, I may just get there.

Honestly, I just wish this term would go away. It's more commonly used as an insult than anything else.

In real life for a lot of models, GWC=rent, food, clothing, gas, etc. so they serve their purpose and as long as everyone involved are consenting adults and no one gets hurt, I say let the GWCs have their fun.

QFT!!!

I don't provide rent, food, etc. but I work very hard on improving my work and on giving the models useful pictures for their portfolios, but if I ever reach a point where I no longer enjoy shooting a beautiful naked woman I'll just shoot myself.

Nov 07 09 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Greatest Show in Town

Ashland, California, US

collectors of nude women are often little more than that. Is it a bad thing, i dont know. i guess we all need a purpose

Nov 07 09 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Greatest Show in Town

Ashland, California, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:

QFT!!!

I don't provide rent, food, etc. but I work very hard on improving my work and on giving the models useful pictures for their portfolios, but if I ever reach a point where I no longer enjoy shooting a beautiful naked woman I'll just shoot myself.

kool, hard work rocks

Nov 07 09 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Greatest Show in Town

Ashland, California, US

Photons 2 Pixels Images wrote:

i hope i resist becoming a GWC forever, i think its a distraction
GWC, its an apropriate term for a huge % of photographers.. That makes it more common than bad.

Nov 07 09 01:33 pm Link

Model

Alana Ekerplay

Melbourne, Arkansas, US

*removed my post because I decided it was not appropriate*

Nov 10 09 02:28 am Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

We need GWC's - they serve a real purpose.  Many photographers are insecure and need the proverbial "looser" to compare themselves to in order to make themselves feel superior.  Without the GWC, photographers who rely heavily on digital photography and Photoshop'ing would be full of self-doubt and lack the confidence to call themselves "professional."

Nov 10 09 06:02 am Link

Photographer

bellus_facies

Golden, Colorado, US

CA and L wrote:
but I think that sometimes the term is used to loosely.

Yeah, GWC, Troll, and White Knight are derogatory terms people use in any situation, regardless of actual merit, so people can appear superior to other people.

It is like calling someone a thief of photographic images, or photographic plagiarism.  The accusation, by itself, is more powerful than the reality of whether said person is actually a thief or not.

These terms are usually employed by desperate people, as ad hominem, in place of a valid argument.

I personally avoid these terms cause they're so subjective and subject to change.

Nov 10 09 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Dominic Dean

London, England, United Kingdom

How would I know if I am a GWC or photographer? I dont do it full time currently.

Nov 15 09 01:03 pm Link

Digital Artist

drawpixels

San Diego, California, US

LeDeux Art wrote:
GWC's are for a purpose, to pay llamas to get nekid!

Guys with Cash

Nov 15 09 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Norman Gould

North Bend, Oregon, US

I think the point is that there are "Guys With Cameras", who's main interest is to get close to llamas, preferably naked!  And the implication is: this is bad because these are the guys who will ask you to do stuff you don't want to..and have an unholy Lear on there face...and are by implication...dangerous or at best unsavory! 
Well there are these people, and it should be noted...and the "GWC" term was created the cover that!

However like many generalized terms, there is a tendency to come up with a "profile" that gets rather broad, so that all newbie's, all that shoot a certain subject (nude), all that pay, can be fit into it!
The way I am reading this is that "some "professionals", commercial, people make a wider definition that is more about their disdain for those different then them, (amateur in there eyes) !
So the "pervert" with camera part (which was the point) gets lost in the translation!
As for those that have those perv motives...(no matter their supposed photo expertise), they just make it harder for those that want to make great art...that have things in common with the broader, now made pointless definition!
Oh well...tis life!

Nov 15 09 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Dominic Dean

London, England, United Kingdom

I know where I stand then wink

Nov 15 09 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Living Canvas

Denver, Colorado, US

Stefano Brunesci wrote:
While GWC is used on many sites to mean simply "guy with camera" with the implication that he may not have much skill or professionalism, the llama Mayhem usage is a little stricter:-

https://www.modelmayhem.com/faqs.php?faq_text_id=22

Nov 15 09 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Ricardo Sevilla 2

Miami, Florida, US

hmm, how to begin.

I once read a quote on Model Mayhem, I think it was a model that posted a quote from some famous old photographer. The quote went something along the line of,

"Every photographer is a voyeur, either he is lying or just stupid."

Then

Sam Haskins said on a CNN Interview that he falls in love with a new woman every day (His models).

Having that said,

I believe the first quote to be true. Photographers tend to capture what they see is beauty. In many cases, male photographers will photograph female models because they find a sense of beauty in their subjects, and freezing this beauty in time may be a passion that drives many photographers.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, some photographers are content with capturing a beauty fully clothed, with fancy makeup and beautiful backdrops, some photographers like capturing beauty by capturing the nude body, some photographers like capturing beauty in photographing the nude body performing acts of love (Erotic, bondage, call it what you will).

What I have analyzed and observed throughout this thread is that the majority of models judge what a "GWC" is based on the quality of this photographers work.

If a photographer shoots a nude female body with esquisite technical skills, it is seen as art, if a photographer shoots a nude female body with developing or low level skills, it is seen as a pervasive action. Why? ....I have no idea.

Not shooting with a photographer is fine, everyone has the right to choose who and who not to work with. I do however find it to be so sad when I see photographers and models questioning the morals of photographers who choose to photograph their definition of beauty. Respect should be maintained and to preemptively accuse photographers of ill intent based on low quality images of nude or partially clothed models is pretty ridiculousness.

Top photographers in the industry can have the same levels of ill intent as any other person, whether they shoot weddings, fashion, nudes etc.

If a model is really concerned about the "ill intents" of a photographer, the model should check references more than photographs.

You may point at a person, cry "GWC", but in reality, I believe a person's motivation for capturing beauty is not for you to judge, because breaking ANY motivation down to it's core equates to the capture of what said photographer believes is beauty.

-Ricardo S.

Nov 16 09 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

There's a little GWC in all of us.  Otherwise, women wouldn't be such popular photography subjects.  smile

Nov 16 09 02:39 pm Link

Body Painter

Extreme Body Art

South Jordan, Utah, US

Wow old thread... It was bumped because someone had a question how to warn people of GWCs?

Wow.

GWC is pretty subjective unless they tell you right off the bat "I wanna take pictures of your boobs!" and he doesn't care if they have artistic quality to it or not... he just wants to use them for "Spank Bank" material later.

So, there is no way to "warn" of GWCs... because some will find "Shots of their boobs" ok and won't care as long as they are getting the Money.

So, good luck... check references.... ask specific questions to those references of something you might not be comfortable with... BETTER YET.. ask questions the photographer what the shoot entails and what type of shots he hopes to get from your shoot.

If it's just "shoot as we go" then you don't have to accept his invite to shoot. (However most of the photographers I know work "shoot as we go, but with a concept).

Nov 16 09 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Arthur Chappell

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

I seem to meet the GWWHHAC  ‘the guy who wishes he had a camera’ – ie, someone who learns that I do some photography with models and immediately lowers the tone of conversation by wanting to know how well I know the models, and if I have some secret stash of outtake shots I might let them see – It reminds me of the Monty Python nudge nudge wink wink sketch – I find myself cringing on meeting and seeing grown men, in some cases married with kids, reduced to the sexual maturity of 13 year olds. It actually brings out my puritanical side.

On some photo critiquing sites like Woophy, photos are often rated out of five stars not on the quality of the photos but whether readers like the models and imagine the model being a great date for the viewer – They go quiet when I post some of my shots of male models or just architecture pictures without people in them .  I hope these kind of guys never get to wield their own cameras.

Feb 07 10 02:38 am Link

Photographer

W A L L E R

Columbus, Ohio, US

Photos by Frizz wrote:
that pretty much sums it up

If the first reply summed it up, why is this thing still going?  Oh, yeah, GWC's like me keep responding!  lol

Feb 07 10 02:51 am Link

Photographer

John Felici

Pascoag, Rhode Island, US

Chris Keeling wrote:

None of these statements have anything to do with the term GWC.  A GWC label has nothing to do with quality of work, references, stealing images, or any of the above.

A GWC is simply someone who doesn't care about the image making process, he takes pictures for the single purpose of getting in the company of the object of his desire.  He can be very talented and produce fantastic work and still be a GWC, depending on his true reason for producing that fantastic work.

So no, I don't agree with your definition.

then I guess by that definition I am not a GWC...cuz..i could care less about naked girls in front of me....seen so many..although every once in a while..ahh nevermind

Feb 07 10 02:53 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

The best part of old threads is that I can invest my 2 cents worth again without feeling that I'm hijacking the thread.

Maybe we should dump the GWC label in favor of PWC (Pervert With Camera).  It more accurately reflects the original intent, maximizes the range of accurate applications while minimizing the range of inaccurate ones and is gender neutral.

Unfortunately, if that happened, we'd lose all these fun threads.

Feb 07 10 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Old thread and the OP wandered off to look for perverts elsewhere. Nothing to see here, move along...

Feb 07 10 08:54 am Link

Photographer

KGR PHOTO

Los Angeles, California, US

Here's my $0.02 on the subject ...

Simply put, the GWC is a guy who spends a lot of money on a professional camera and somehow thinks he now qualifies to shoot with models. In the majority of cases, the GWC has no experience or practical training and simply wants to entice young and naive aspiring models into taking pictures that are normally for private use and involve nudity or semi-nudity.

While the above is an excerpt from the web site listed below, it represents my feelings about GWC's. Read the rest of the article for yourself, it's pretty informing:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4470752_legit-p … z1CgCPD5Lm

Happy reading!

Jan 31 11 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

KGR PHOTO wrote:
Here's my $0.02 on the subject ...

Simply put, the GWC is a guy who spends a lot of money on a professional camera and somehow thinks he now qualifies to shoot with models. In the majority of cases, the GWC has no experience or practical training and simply wants to entice young and naive aspiring models into taking pictures that are normally for private use and involve nudity or semi-nudity.

While the above is an excerpt from the web site listed below, it represents my feelings about GWC's. Read the rest of the article for yourself, it's pretty informing:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4470752_legit-p … z1CgCPD5Lm

Happy reading!

how do you find these threads and then reiterate what everyone has said for the past 2 years? LOL

Jan 31 11 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

LilBiz

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

www.twitter.com/proguywcamera

Knock yourselves out everyone.

Aug 06 11 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

W A L L E R

Columbus, Ohio, US

Wow!  This thread is still going on?  I first responded to this in February last year.  I'm definitely a guy with a camera.  I don't come close to claiming to be a professional photographer.  However, I also don't try to bed the models.  Hell, I don't even get a boner when shooting with a nude model.  I'm just out there trying to capture the best images possible.

You do have to give the GWC credit though.  There are a lot of "traveling models" out there making a good living from them.

Aug 06 11 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

GWC -Guy With Cash

Aug 06 11 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

MLRPhoto

Olivet, Michigan, US

W A L L E R  wrote:
Wow!  This thread is still going on?  I first responded to this in February last year.  I'm definitely a guy with a camera.  I don't come close to claiming to be a professional photographer.  However, I also don't try to bed the models.  Hell, I don't even get a boner when shooting with a nude model.  I'm just out there trying to capture the best images possible.

You do have to give the GWC credit though.  There are a lot of "traveling models" out there making a good living from them.

Let's try this yet again; "GWC" has nothing to do with whether one is paid, or the quality of the images.  Sometimes, but not always, the STYLE of the images is an indication.  GWC is about motive; whether it's "being around a female" which is pretty harmless, or outright exploitation / rape, which of course isn't.

It has been widely reported that plenty of "professional industry photographers" are blatant GWCs.  Worse yet, they and their non photographer counterparts often exploit young (14-16) girls who hope to have careers as models.

Aug 06 11 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Wysiwyg Photography

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Johnny Vy wrote:
www.twitter.com/proguywcamera

Nice.. so you bumped this thread for this?

Interesting...

Nothing new to add.. this thread is dead.

ETA:
Apparently I posted in this thread back in '09..

Aug 06 11 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Experience and quality does not necessarily go hand in hand, but neither one is attainable by a GWC, because of the lack of interest in improving his/her art.

Although I do equate a GWC with someone that is not necessarily experienced as a photographer, a lot of the qualities described above can also be attributed to a lot of experienced and succesful photographers.

Aug 06 11 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

Johnny Vy wrote:

how damp of you.

Aug 06 11 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

K E E L I N G wrote:

None of these statements have anything to do with the term GWC.  A GWC label has nothing to do with quality of work, references, stealing images, or any of the above.

A GWC is simply someone who doesn't care about the image making process, he takes pictures for the single purpose of getting in the company of the object of his desire.  He can be very talented and produce fantastic work and still be a GWC, depending on his true reason for producing that fantastic work.

So no, I don't agree with your definition.

So according to that definition I am a GWC ( although the 'very talented' part might be in dispute) But here is where it gets weird.

It is most applicable when I am doing nature photography. I am using my camera as a way of interacting with nature, and the image is very much secondary.

With models it is all about the image, and interaction only as much as needed to get a good image.

With nature a good image is nice, but not essential.

With models if I do not get great images, I feel that I have wasted my time.

Aug 06 11 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

PhotoJoe wrote:
Why wouldnt you call a Playboy Photographer a GWC. 
He's a Creep, obviously got into the bizz to take pics of naked girls.
and i wouldnt be suprised if he has screwed a few of the models he's shot.

so whats the diff.   

now if someone is actually steeling photo's and calling them his own...then he's not a GWC...he's a thief.

Either that . . . or he can't spell 'stealing'

Aug 06 11 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

A few years ago, an internationally published fashion and commercial photographer who's work would make most people on here drool with jealousy was vacationing in my area.  He contacted me through MM and asked if I knew any local girls who might be easy to talk into bed if they got the chance to be in front of a famous photographer's camera for an hour or so.

I currently know lots and lots of beginner photographers who really don't have the talent or commitment to ever get any better.  They like shooting models, and they're perfect gentlemen during a shoot.

Anyone who thinks GWC status has anything to do with talent, quality of work, or years of experience is an idiot.

Aug 06 11 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

...okay...let me make this as easy to understand as possible: a GWC (Guy With Camera) is a guy (could be a gal as well), and he or she has a camera, see...and they take photos of stuff...

NOW - GET OUTTA MY YARD YOU YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPERS - STOP BUMPING THESE STUPID OLD THREADS!!!

...find something constructive to do with your lives...

[This has been a public service announcement, batteries not included, shipping and handling extra - you'll be getting a check for $4,000...just cash it, keep your part of it ($50) and send me the rest in small unmarked bills.]

smile

Aug 06 11 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

MLRPhoto

Olivet, Michigan, US

Tim Hammond wrote:
A few years ago, an internationally published fashion and commercial photographer who's work would make most people on here drool with jealousy was vacationing in my area.  He contacted me through MM and asked if I knew any local girls who might be easy to talk into bed if they got the chance to be in front of a famous photographer's camera for an hour or so.

I currently know lots and lots of beginner photographers who really don't have the talent or commitment to ever get any better.  They like shooting models, and they're perfect gentlemen during a shoot.

Anyone who thinks GWC status has anything to do with talent, quality of work, or years of experience is an idiot.

I've heard similar stories from quite a few models.  Both highly successful photographers who are very creepy, and incompetent photographers, even incompetent GLAMOUR photographers, who are perfectly professional and respectful in interactions with models.

Aug 07 11 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Barrett Photos

Parkville, Maryland, US

Hollywood Starlet wrote:
All photographers were once a GWC or FWC - Female.. minus perversion...

You gotta start somewhere, right?

smile

+1

Aug 07 11 06:24 am Link