Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > At What point do we STOP the TFCD's/TFP's?

Hair Stylist

AyannaMarieHair

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I have been styling hair for over 13 years.  I'm only 23.  I have been in the fashion industry for a year.  I am tired of doing work for no pay.  However, I'm not sure if my port is up to par with the standards for those willing to pay.  What do I nedd to do to get paid?

Mar 09 06 11:06 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

T.Alexander

Norcross, Georgia, US

When to decide to stop doing unpaid work is somewhat of a personal decision. If you feel that your book is up to par, then perhaps you should take that leap. Just simply state that you only accepting paid assignments and have competitive test rates. You'd be surprised at how many people will respect you as a paid artist. Unfortunately this is a long journey and you'll never fully ever be done with paying your dues, but there does become a point in time where getting paid for putting in your dues is necessary.

Good luck.

Mar 09 06 11:27 am Link

Photographer

SH Studios

Lodi, California, US

I believe it is just a matter of taking the risk. It’s all in marketing yourself and hitting the pavement, McDonalds doesn't have the best hamburgers but they know how to sell them. The bottom line is just do it, you will never know unless you try. Join a networking group and get your face out there, don’t limit yourself either offer up wedding and proms. Put together your rate sheet and stick to it, don't discount yourself, if anything give something away. But NEVER take 25% off. It’s perceived value.

Mar 09 06 11:31 am Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

HoneyHair wrote:
I have been styling hair for over 13 years.  I'm only 23.  I have been in the fashion industry for a year.  I am tired of doing work for no pay.  However, I'm not sure if my port is up to par with the standards for those willing to pay.  What do I nedd to do to get paid?

Its very much the same for all in the industry - stylists, models, photo.
Best as a personal decision and when your pro work or day job is well supporting.
Many never make the translation and give up on the industry esp models.

E L

Mar 09 06 11:33 am Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

HoneyHair wrote:

Fransisco Scuvallo a photographer I admired very much did TFP quite often. He was one of the worlds best fashion/commercial photographers. As a creative person in a very creative and competive field it's important to keep your skills sharp and try thing you normally wouldn't try. This is why I will probably alway do TFP. That's just my thoughts

Mar 09 06 11:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

BridgitC-Makeup Artist

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Honey start charging, your work looks great to me.....Limit your free work for special projects that you have an idea for or if it is just one of those thing you can't pass up....Remember, nobody thinks about calling the free person when there is a budget....Market yourself and hold your ground and charge your rates....

Mar 09 06 11:37 am Link

Photographer

bubbaclicks

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

see below

Mar 09 06 11:41 am Link

Photographer

bubbaclicks

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

KARLOS MATTHEWS wrote:

Fransisco Scuvallo a photographer I admired very much did TFP quite often. He was one of the worlds best fashion/commercial photographers. As a creative person in a very creative and competive field it's important to keep your skills sharp and try thing you normally wouldn't try. This is why I will probably alway do TFP. That's just my thoughts

I have to agree with karlos, i think i will always test... but i need to put bread on the table, so if you feel your book is strong enough, try charging for your work, within a few requests you will see if there is resistance to paying or how much you are charging...

Also try and get tear sheets in your book, when you have pro pieces in there, it makes you look more professional...and that will be easier to command you own price, good luck

Mar 09 06 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Lucinda Wedge

Littlerock, California, US

HoneyHair
Female

2006-03-09 11:06:55 Quote

I agree with others who already said - it's a personal choice.  If you think your portfolio is strong enough, give it a test.  Go try to get paid.  If not, get it strong enough.  Also, I think I will always do the occassional TFCD or TFP someday in the future, just to continue to experiment or if there's nothing else to do, it's good to keep shooting (in your case - doing your thing) and keep your skills sharp.  And better to experiment when you're not getting paid.

Mar 09 06 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

HoneyHair wrote:

Give some attention to my email. *I am sending now*

Mar 09 06 11:45 am Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

You do beautiful work.  I think we as artists tend to sometimes be harder on ourselves than others.  I looked at your work before I read your profile.  I assumed that you'd be expensive.  Your work is great.  I think you're ready to start charging.

I started a forum yesterday about how to set my rates.  Someone told me that you never want to set your rates too low.  Because once you do, they will always expect that of you.  So if you always accept TFP's and never ask to be paid.  They will always expect you to work for free.  And no matter how much you love what you do, no one can survive on TFP's alone.

You do great work.  You should be getting paid for it!

Mar 09 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

rent
mortgage
IHOP,Tony Romas, Red Lobster
Walmart
vacations
kids

Mar 09 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

Mix it up before you switch it up...
Offer limited tfp's based on artistic ability.

Mar 09 06 12:25 pm Link

Model

Savvy1007

John Pringle wrote:
Mix it up before you switch it up...
Offer limited tfp's based on artistic ability.

ditto on what he said...

Mar 09 06 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

HoneyHair wrote:
What do I nedd to do to get paid?

find clients

Mar 09 06 12:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Make Up the Design

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I will on occasion do TFP, but usually only with photographers I know and have worked with in the past, cause sometimes, its just about making art.  But thats a judgement call.

I think its important for make up artists to at least charge a "kit fee" if you are accepting TFP.  The make up artist is not only donating their time, but product as well.  Everyone wants something for nothing, I say we raise the bar a little bit.  I'm a strong believer that a make up can make a significant difference to the qualty of photography.

Mar 09 06 02:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup By Meiling

Austin, Texas, US

T.Alexander wrote:
When to decide to stop doing unpaid work is somewhat of a personal decision. If you feel that your book is up to par, then perhaps you should take that leap. Just simply state that you only accepting paid assignments and have competitive test rates. You'd be surprised at how many people will respect you as a paid artist. Unfortunately this is a long journey and you'll never fully ever be done with paying your dues, but there does become a point in time where getting paid for putting in your dues is necessary.

Good luck.

Hello my name is Meiling 31895 trust me  I agree...It took me awhile to not accept TFCD or TFP....but that was just a chance that I had to take...and it was a personal decision that I made trust me it paid off...but I do time to time still accept dong TFCD or TFP when working with new clients or not. Good Luck I am sure you will make the right decision for you...SMILE...and keep on doing what you do...

Mar 09 06 02:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup By Meiling

Austin, Texas, US

MEILING wrote:

Hello my name is Meiling 31895 trust me  I agree...It took me awhile to not accept TFCD or TFP....but that was just a chance that I had to take...and it was a personal decision that I made trust me it paid off...but I do time to time still accept dong TFCD or TFP when working with new clients or not. Good Luck I am sure you will make the right decision for you...SMILE...and keep on doing what you do...

Mar 09 06 02:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

PhujiVF

Houston, Texas, US

BridgitC-Makeup Artist wrote:
Honey start charging, your work looks great to me.....Limit your free work for special projects that you have an idea for or if it is just one of those thing you can't pass up....Remember, nobody thinks about calling the free person when there is a budget....Market yourself and hold your ground and charge your rates....

Great advice here from Brigit and all of the others.

As far as whether or not your book is up to par, that will depend on who you're targeting.  Sometimes 4 or 5 really strong images of your best work is enough to get your point across.

And as it was already stated, take on developing projects where you see the potential for a great end product.

Good work by the way!

Phuji

Mar 09 06 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Never stop doing TFP, just be more selective about the projects you accept.

If someone want's to work with you and doesn't offer pay up front, decide if you think the project will benefit your portfolio and if you think it's worth doing it without cash payment, do it.  If not, ask for a fee that would make it worthwhile.

TFP isn't all or nothing.  Being open to TFP doesn't mean you have to do it with anyone who asks!

Mar 09 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

Let me ask you this:

Since you are a Stylist and lets say you wanted a look for your book and you were toying around with a funky idea and just wanted to see how it looked, would you pay a photographer and a MUA thier fees for the opportunity to see your dream become a reality?

I would venture to say not.

This is why there is testing

Mar 09 06 04:47 pm Link